People can keep stroking this guy over his QB ratings and stats and then turn and mock Cowboy fans for expecting more all they want. The truth is most Cowboy fans expect championships and know they are won on the backs of solid defenses. Dallas now seems to have a guy in Rob Ryan who has the tools to get it done. But no matter how hard this defense rows the same guy keeps shooting holes in the boat. I don't know why? I want him to lead this team to it's sixth Super Bowl. I just don't see him keeping his head in the game long enough to do so? He's got a flaw of some kind? He's looki g more and more like Cutler and Grossman every year.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

People can keep stroking this guy over his QB ratings and stats and then turn and mock Cowboy fans for expecting more all they want. The truth is most Cowboy fans expect championships and know they are won on the backs of solid defenses. Dallas now seems to have a guy in Rob Ryan who has the tools to get it done. But no matter how hard this defense rows the same guy keeps shooting holes in the boat. I don't know why? I want him to lead this team to it's sixth Super Bowl. I just don't see him keeping his head in the game long enough to do so? He's got a flaw of some kind? He's looki g more and more like Cutler and Grossman every year.

Rick

I guess those Super Bowl teams didn't really need Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman.

Right now, Romo has been responsible for 2 wins that the team had no shot in, and 1 loss (as I stated, there were a number of other problems in week 1 and can't even begin to put that one on Romo).

The first pick and the 3rd pick today were signature Romo picks. No reason to throw either ball. The first, right into the LBs arms like he couldn't see him bracketing the receiver. The second one, he's falling back and throws it, jumping, off his back foot. Romo thinks he's Superman. And both of those picks were on 1st down. Absolutely unacceptable.

HOWEVER, our defense played well about as long as the offense did. A missed sack on Stafford led to a big play. Every pass completion, with the exception to the jump ball in the end zone, went to WIDE OPEN receivers. Far too much busted coverage, uncovered players. Ryan's defense is only unpredictable in where players are coming from, and not nearly as much in the number of guys coming. NO sacks today and poor coverage on the back end. And as long as Alan Ball is in on defense, the opponents are going to seek him out just like they did Jacques Reeves.

And Garrett. You remember what the Cowboys used to do on 3rd and short in the Super Bowl years, late in a game, playing with a lead? They ran it. That's part of the point of getting to 3rd and 2. You have the whole playbook. Granted, it was a good play by the DB and a BAD route by the receiver that led to that pick-6. But we were gouging them with the run, at mid-field, and we were still up big in the 3rd quarter. Run the ball on a 3rd and 2, and you have a shot at another first down, a 4th down play, or pinning the Lions in crappy field position. And 4th down on the goalline, with an O-line that struggles with the power interior run-game blocking... get your HB in space. That's why you have the young, athletic O-line to start with.

This team doesn't have the overall talent to go anywhere this year. They really don't. Not with this defensive personnel. Not with the injuries, not with the young offensive line (btw, did you see 1st round pick Tyron Smith get blown the f up on that sack late in the game?).

Romo absolutely was the worst part of this game, though. This one's easily on him, despite the other issues. But make no mistake, there are plenty of other issues. The picks by Romo today aren't ones that are going to keep this team from the playoff/Superbowl, bc that just isn't in the cards this year.

With defense you always have a shot to win. Had it not been for Romo's inability to protect the ball and manage the game well this team would be 4-0 right now.

This defense didn't give up a driving TD until the 4th quarter? Our offfense died at the one in the first half. I fail to see how it is that the defense played well about as long as the offense did?

And as long as Terrence Newman has been a Cowboy I have never seen as many contested passes in the open field as I have this year so far. I think once given a full, healthy squad Ryan can build something special here.

Rick

Don't you guys get that Dallas had a 24 point lead because of Romo? Yes, he pissed it away today, and he simply can't make those mistakes. Maybe if they had a runnung game to go to when they were up 24, one of those picks doesn't happen. We don't know, because the ONLY weapon they have on offense is Romo.

Go ahead, start either of the other 2 and see how you are out of this game by the second qtr

• Upvote 2

Maybe if they had a runnung game to go to when they were up 24,

113 yards rushing against Suh and that defensive front isn't Swiss cheese in my opinion. Maybe if Romo knew to throw the ball away like a veteran should know then we win? After all, 3rd year veteran Stafford threw the ball away 7 different times when pressured heavily.

And per Jimmy Johnson via twitter on Romo's collapse.

"He still does not understand situational football!"

That's a sad statement being that it's about a 9 year veteran.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Ok.

Where do you get one.

Seriously, answer that.

How many years have gone by and how many QB busts has Jerry Jones made since the last decent QB at Dallas? And just think of all the good QB's that have been drafted out of college by other teams over that span of years. Makes me sick. I blame old Jethro(Jones) for these mistakes. Remember Quincy (whatever his name was)?

Romo was a 2-3 year wonder boy. He really needs to go, like two years ago.

I gave Romo a pass on week 1, but 2 of those picks yesterday are on him. How the Lions scored off of them isn't terribly relevant to me. You can't make those throws.

And there's the rub. We have to win like the Giants won with Eli... a good run game and shut down defense. Because you can't trust Romo. He's a great QB when you're down and you need someone to win you a game. He's an awful QB when you JUST need someone to make smart decisions. As was mentioned, you saw Stafford throw the ball away when plays weren't there. Live to play another day. Romo's never going to do that. He's going to throw it to Barbie Carpenter. He's gonna jump-throw off his back foot on 1st and 10.

In all fairness.... If Megatron isn't 8 feet tall then Stafford throws a game losing interception into triple coverage late in the 4th. Stafford looked really shaky until he started throwing to Mega.

And if Dez couldn't jump like he can, and didn't have hands the size of dinner plates, Tony'd have thrown about 8 picks by now on those jump balls. But Megatron IS that tall, and QBs know he can throw jumpballs to those guys and they'll go up and get it.

Stafford didn't look shaky. He looked smart. It wasn't like he spent most of the game trying NOT to throw to Johnson. And actually, if one of our 3 DBs decides to cut UNDERNEATH Megatron, then they have an opportunity to make a play. Or, if Stafford didn't have time to get some nachos from the concession stand, finish a sudoku puzzle, and knit a dog sweater before making that throw, it's a different ballgame.

But the biggest if in the game was IF WE HAD A SMART QB, we wouldn't have lost that game.

Romo isn't the only thing holding this team back, but if, in this world, the Cowboys ever surround him with the talent we all know they need, then he WILL BE THE ONLY THING HOLDING THEM BACK. He's not going to get any better as a QB. He is what he is.

• Downvote 1

Overall a really good football game. The O Line is just really shaky at best. I wonder if that is affecting Garrets play calling because I don't think that has been as good too at times. There's seemingly a lot of 'cute' type plays and I am not sure you can do that with a young and inexperienced O Line.

At the end of the day Brady had a couple of minutes to lead his team to a game winning drive and he delivered. Definitely can't blame the loss on Romo and the defense played really well the whole game tho that last drive looked really easy.

So are we going to blame Romo for this loss as well? He did throw an interception however Brady threw 2 yet still the Pats still won the game.

Undrafted Rookies all over the OL (that one's on the GM), zero running game to speak of (77 total yards?!?), and a defense that has a knack for playing lights out until the drive that really matters showing up yet again... Ouch.

The biggest issue I have with today was Garrett's going over-safe into a shell with 2:30 to go. Murray into the line, Murray into the line, Choice on a draw. Really??? You haven't run all day. Your QB (this thread be damned) has over 300 yards passing. And you choose to run three times and give it back to Brady with a time out and the 2 minute warning left, only needing a FG to tie!?? Wow.

I don't know what they teach at Princeton, but good grief...

Edited by CaribbeanGreen

Number 68 shoulders the full blame for this loss. Complete and full blame. I don't think I have ever seen a worse performance from a Cowboy offensive lineman. Cost his team at least 7 points. Terrible, Terrible, Terrible.

Garrett's horrible play calling on the last drive for the field goal followed by the 3 and out that immediately preceded the NE touchdown drive was also a huge factor. It looks like people on this board are not the only ones who have lost confidence in Romo.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2