Why FIU doesn't scare me...

cl_1_2008

Early in the year, we have the toughest stretch of our schedule. However, we also have a huge advantage. We have 3 guys that played significant time on offense last year that are back. Fortenberry, Tomlinson, and Lance Dunbar. I don't care how much film you see on Dunbar, you're not going to stop him. The other two are linemen. Our offense is going to be something that nobody has ever seen on film. We have a new QB, an entire new WR corp, a real life TE, and some new linemen. You could also say that this will hurt us because of inexperience, but I trust most of the guys who didn't get to play last year(JJ Johnson, Mason Y'Barbo, Andrew Power, Cyril Lemon, Derek Thompson, Brent Osborn, Mike Outlaw, and Chris Bynes). The jury is still out on the rest of the WR corp, but I think we'll be fine. On defense, we have a new coordinator and we get back 2 guys that would have played a huge part last year in Steven Ford and Dewaylon Cook. FIU has no idea what to expect Thursday other than a heavy dose of Dunbar. And they're not stopping Dunbar even if they do expect it.

UNT 34

FIU 27

• Upvote 1

I think we have a chance but FIU has that swagger that we had early last decade. They have a solid system in place, Florida athletes, an outstanding proven coach and a passion to become conference champions this year. That is a lot to overcome for Troy or any of the expected powers in the league. I don't think this is like us lining up against Troy in the Dodge years, but I think this game will be nearly as tough as Houston will be the following week. And yes, I do believe we have a chance in both games. Canales wants a head coaching gig and that team is going to be ready to play. Coach has fire and passion and will get the team amped. I would love us to pull an upset in the early season and obviously that stands a better chance of happening in Miami or Denton versus Tuscaloosa.

GMG

We have a lot more weapons on offense than we did last year. We are patching together a line, but I have a feeling that the o-line that shows up Thursday will be just as good (maybe even better) than last years. Oh, and we have the same OC that we had last year, so no learning curve there for anyone.

All we have to do this year is just get a bit more push and/or aggressiveness in the DL, and more push from the DE's, and we win about three more games than last year. We'll be as good as last year in the LB corp, and better in our DB play.

• Upvote 2

This team has been killed the past few years by stupid penalties, untimely turnovers and late collapses. These issues actually cost us games. I expect that to be greatly improved with this coaching staff in place. And I still think the talent on this team is underrated. (Helped by the constant under-selling by Coach Mac)

Also, if the glaring weakness on this team is supposed to be the D-Line, we have 2 things that help with this....a defensive coaching staff that puts priority on the front and a very good secondary that can buy the D-Line some time as it gels.

For me, FIU was the most depressing game of the season last year. We didn't look like we belonged on the same field as them and it was the game where you could just feel everyone weigh down and give up from the first TD on the 5th play on. I have no idea what the real gap between the two teams really was that day, but it was one of worst game experiences I can remember.

I have no prediction - and as much as I love our tradition of falling in love with names and abstract ideas mashed around football cliches every preseason - won't pretend to know how to evaluate this team yet, but a close game against a team we've competed with once in 4 years would be nice.

2007 19-38

2008 10-42 (Home)

2009 28-35

2010 10-34 (Home)

2011 PROFIT

• Upvote 2

As a D-1 program FIU has never won their first game of the season.

They are not as scary good as some would have us believe. The question we will answer is are we as scary bad as some would have us believe.

I think the gap between the two programs is a lot closer than what is perceived.

And I prefer my green go go juice with a splash, a dash of bitters and a twist.

• Upvote 2

For me, FIU was the most depressing game of the season last year. We didn't look like we belonged on the same field as them and it was the game where you could just feel everyone weigh down and give up from the first TD on the 5th play on. I have no idea what the real gap between the two teams really was that day, but it was one of worst game experiences I can remember.

I have no prediction - and as much as I love our tradition of falling in love with names and abstract ideas mashed around football cliches every preseason - won't pretend to know how to evaluate this team yet, but a close game against a team we've competed with once in 4 years would be nice.

2007 19-38

2008 10-42 (Home)

2009 28-35

2010 10-34 (Home)

2011 PROFIT

step 1: steal underpants

step 2: ?

step 3: PROFIT

I really don't know what to expect this season in terms of the W-L columns. What I do expect is tighter execution, a complete lack of deer in the headlights staring at the sideline with two seconds left on the play clock, quick and purposeful decision making in the fourth quarter, some actual tackling on defense, a LOT less embarrassment and no laughing at rudimentary play calling from the opposing sideline.

There is talent on this team, but the overall size of the line will likely still be an issue, so plays on offense will have to go off really quickly, and the secondary on defense will have to constantly be on their toes.

Like I said earlier, I really look forward to watching my very first UNT football game on September 10th. Unfortunately, I'll be in class on Thursday, so I won't get to watch or listen to that game.

• Upvote 2

I really don't know what to expect this season in terms of the W-L columns. What I do expect is tighter execution, a complete lack of deer in the headlights staring at the sideline with two seconds left on the play clock, quick and purposeful decision making in the fourth quarter, some actual tackling on defense, a LOT less embarrassment and no laughing at rudimentary play calling from the opposing sideline.

There is talent on this team, but the overall size of the line will likely still be an issue, so plays on offense will have to go off really quickly, and the secondary on defense will have to constantly be on their toes.

Like I said earlier, I really look forward to watching my very first UNT football game on September 10th. Unfortunately, I'll be in class on Thursday, so I won't get to watch or listen to that game.

it's never to early to ditch a class...

• Upvote 1

Totally expect improvement that the new coaching staff will bring....the last 5 games under canalas were light years different then the 3 1/2 years under dodge...and we won 2 of those games with less talent then we have right now. im not scared of FIU and i dont think the team is either.

When we fired DD and hired TD, the general consensus was that if Dodge could just improve our offense and not screw up our defense (we returned 10 of 11 starters on D his first year) that we'd instantly be competitive/dominant again.

Now, we're expecting DMac to improve our defense while not screwing up our offense too much. It helps that we have Canales coming back.

As we all know, TD limited tackling and overall contact in practice to enhance our offense's ability to execute while staying healthy & quick, but totally undermined our defense's ability to tackle anyone.

Now we've brought back physical play (in spades, no less). As such, I expect that our defense will be vastly improved (even though they are indeed undersized) but I have no idea what to expect out of the offense. They could take a step back being a bit more banged up from game to game---or our offensive line could transform into a bunch of road graders and we might just run people off the field....it's anyone's guess at this point.

Either way, new era, new optimism:

FIU - 20

UNT - 21

Edited by TIgreen01