Predict The Score

MeanGreen61

FIU 31

UNT 17

We'll get there, but not quite yet.

EDIT: After reflecting, I don't think FIU's defense can hold us to 17. Once Coach Chico took over, we never scored less than 23, and we ended our season scoring 41 against K-State. I know we only scored 10 against FIU last year, but even with the losses of Gill, Carey, and Riley, we easily ought to be able to maintain enough continuity on offense to score 27 with a little help from special teams and defense.

And speaking of defense, I don't think we'll lose too much against the pass. Our secondary should be improved with the return of Stephen Ford and another year of maturity and experience for Royce Hill and DeLeon McCord. The loss of Shavod and Kelvin Jackson shouldn't hurt us too badly against the pass--they were primarily run-stuffers. And FIU's bread and butter is generally the passing game, although they will no doubt exploit it if we are vulnerable to the run. But we will be starting two big ol' boys at DT who have shown up in great shape for this fall. It remains to be seen, but they just might end up reasonably effective against both the run and pass. And I feel confident that our DEs will bring more pressure than they did last year.

Throw in a little splash of Green homerism, and I'll take UNT 30-27.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 1

I think UNT can win this game. I will not be surprised if they do, and possibly by 10 points, as I think the UNT run defense/pass rush will be better. However, my gut tells me the MG are a year or so away from beginning to take their position back on the top of the SBC.

FIU 27

UNT 23

31-17 UNT. We weren't as bad last year as it showed in the FIU scoreline. Coaching makes a huge difference and shows up immediately.

I've watched teams that were bigger under dogs, with bigger spreads, pull off the shocker....

We shock the belt and bring our talents and a win back to Denton to open up a new stadium the right way. On a winning streak.

Oh boy...

North Texas 21

FIU 17

Yes, something in this range. I think Kent Riddle coaching the special teams - actually having a special team coach, for a change - will play a huge role here.

I'm also pretty pleased with the hitting in practice. The defense seem particularly fired up.

I realize the DL is young. But, if you believe coaching makes a difference, you have to believe McCarney will have the line ready to stop the run.

Remember, while at Iowa State, McCarney produced an AP Big 12 Defensive Newcomer of the Year and Coaches Freshman Co-defensive Player of the Year in Jason Berryman. He knows how to coach 'em up quickly.

Yes, something in this range. I think Kent Riddle coaching the special teams - actually having a special team coach, for a change - will play a huge role here.

I'm also pretty pleased with the hitting in practice. The defense seem particularly fired up.

I realize the DL is young. But, if you believe coaching makes a difference, you have to believe McCarney will have the line ready to stop the run.

Remember, while at Iowa State, McCarney produced an AP Big 12 Defensive Newcomer of the Year and Coaches Freshman Co-defensive Player of the Year in Jason Berryman. He knows how to coach 'em up quickly.

Absolutely these are all positives.

Improved special teams, improved defense. Even if the offense stays status quo from the last 5 games of 2010 in terms of yardage, points, and turnovers we'll be in good shape.

I think this will be a hard-hitting, run-oriented slugfest, and Zach Olen will win the ballgame for us.

Well, you will not find me predicting a Mean green loss...so, I'll say it will be:

UNT - 31

FIU - 24

The D comes to play and Thompson and Dunbar make the FIU D look porous! There will be dancing on South Beach by the Mean green faithful lucky enough to see this game in person. Fans watching on the BIG SCREEN at the new stadium will be storming the field with joy...watch out for those brand new goal posts!

GO MEAN GREEN...Yes, Why the heck not North Texas Indeed!