Goal Posts Are Up!

PKC 89

Looks weird to me without the turf. Like looking at a cake decorated with candles...before being iced.

There won't be any turf. The gravel, plus yardage marks and goal posts, will be all there is. A national supermarket chain has purchased the naming rights. The Mean Green will play every game in Safeway Stadium.

• Upvote 4

There won't be any turf. The gravel, plus yardage marks and goal posts, will be all there is. A national supermarket chain has purchased the naming rights. The Mean Green will play every game in Safeway Stadium.

McCarney likes the old school rocks instead of new fangled turf or grass.

I hate to say it, but I am going to be quite sad when the stadium is completed and the webcam is gone. Anyone know if the university is considering continuing the webcam after construction? You are talking about an addiction that will have a hard time to be replaced...

Why would you need a webcam to follow a stadium that stays the same? Just save a shot when the stadium is done as your desktop background, and you can look at it any time you want.

• Upvote 1

Glad to see them up. It gives reference point for gauging the size of our new video board. Goal posts are a little over 23" wide. The space between the pillars is about twice that of the posts. It looks like the board will be between 48" to 50" wide and about 25" tall. Does that sound about right to you guys? Anyone with some inside information?

Glad to see them up. It gives reference point for gauging the size of our new video board. Goal posts are a little over 23" wide. The space between the pillars is about twice that of the posts. It looks like the board will be between 48" to 50" wide and about 25" tall. Does that sound about right to you guys? Anyone with some inside information?

Even if you're right on the numbers I'm going to predict that it's 12 times that large.

• Upvote 3

I asked someone on the "inside", and their guess was 30' X 50', but they were not looking at the numbers at the time or anything, and made a point to say those numbers may not be exact. I know ULM is building a pretty big scoreboard (somehow) so any bigger than that would be ideal. Theirs is around 1600 sq ft. If ours turns out to be 30 X 50, it would be the third biggest on campus video board in Texas, and the second biggest in the Sun Belt...behind ULM.

I asked someone on the "inside", and their guess was 30' X 50', but they were not looking at the numbers at the time or anything, and made a point to say those numbers may not be exact. I know ULM is building a pretty big scoreboard (somehow) so any bigger than that would be ideal. Theirs is around 1600 sq ft. If ours turns out to be 30 X 50, it would be the third biggest on campus video board in Texas, and the second biggest in the Sun Belt...behind ULM.

i heard 2nd biggest in texas

i heard 2nd biggest in texas

Texas is way out in front with 7,370 sq.ft. for their "Godzillatron".

If we were to passs Texas A&M, we would need 3,955 sq.ft. That is more than double what most people are predicting from looking at the thing. That would be awesome, but I just don't see the space for it in the structure currently being built.

EDIT: I would love to be wrong by the way...

Edited by Mean Green Matt

32 feet wide. Not sure how high. When I was in Rick's office in December, they had a couple of different designs that they were deciding on.

I hope that is wrong. Between the pillars of that structure is a lot wider then 32 feet.

Edited by Side Show Joe