Drc - Denia Closes Road During Games For New Stadium

Lurker

Like most people reading this board I'm super-excited about the new stadium, but I understand the Denia complaints. It's a very nice neighborhood with residents that feel that UNT could do better in terms of access to the stadium. Let's be honest, UNT is taking a short-sighted approach to access (ie. saving money). Bonnie Brae is WAY too narrow and not designed for the potential traffic the new stadium will attract. Bonnie Brae should be under construction now, not sometime in the future. WillowWood is a very weak alternative(but cheap).The residents of Denia have forced UNT to spend more money (500,000 out of 90 million) and supply slightly better access. I think it's a good thing.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 13

Like most people reading this board I'm super-excited about the new stadium, but I understand the Denia complaints. It's a very nice neighborhood with residents that feel that UNT could do better in terms of access to the stadium. Let's be honest, UNT is taking a short-sighted approach to access (ie. saving money). Bonnie Brae is WAY too narrow and not designed for the potential traffic the new stadium will attract. Bonnie Brae should be under construction now, not sometime in the future. WillowWood is a very weak alternative(but cheap).The residents of Denia have forced UNT to spend more money (500,000 out of 90 million) and supply slightly better access. I think it's a good thing.

Your neighborhood is overrated.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Glad your excited, but the complaints were a little overboard. The residents of Denia didn't want to work with NT, they wanted to mandate what NT did/does with its land. This issue could have been resolved long ago if the city had any foresight and expanded Bonnie Brae either prior to or in conjunction with the building of the stadium. But, Denton being Denton, they will not start this work until some time in the future making access an even bigger mess in the future just like Loop 288,the work on W. University during the Razor Ranch construction and years ago when TI built what is now Discovery Park. Then again, Denton still has residents that will do anything to thwart growth and argue for the sake of arguing.

• Upvote 3

This issue could have been resolved long ago if the city had any foresight and expanded Bonnie Brae either prior to or in conjunction with the building of the stadium. But, Denton being Denton, they will not start this work until some time in the future making access an even bigger mess in the future just like Loop 288,the work on W. University during the Razor Ranch construction and years ago when TI built what is now Discovery Park.

I was going to say something about the City of Denton's responsibility, but you hit the nail on the head for me.

Look. I could understand the complaints if a couple dozen football games were played every year. However, we are only talking 6 games a year or so.

I lived in Denia on McCormick Street when attending college from 1988-1991. Google Maps shows a car up on blocks in the yard of the dumpy duplex I lived in. My part of the duplex was a converted porch. An exterior wall was my interior living room wall and there were metal storm shutters *inside* my house.

It did not strike me as a neighborhood that had such special character it deserves special treatment. It was just another faded neighborhood with lots of transitory residents going to UNT who needed cheap housing.

I don't know if I would want a bunch of drunk college football fans driving down my street on a autumn Saturday afternoon while my kids play outside.

Ahh yes... Are you saying that drunk college football fans will be the ones affording our suites and vip parking? I ask because that is what will be filling that parking lot and exiting through Denia. There were more people that exited through Denia during the bonfire last year than will exit through after ANY game.

City's block alters UNT's game plan

Does anybody know where Gore or Weber work? I'm about ready to start my own boycott of their businesses. I plan to drive through this neighborhood everytime I have a chance. :growl:

Don't even get me started on the comments...

After reading the comments in the DRC, it's no wonder people from Frisco, Plano, Dallas, McKinney, Allen, etc laugh at Denton.

Edited by GreenMachine

After reading the comments in the DRC, it's no wonder people from Frisco, Plano, Dallas, McKinney, Allen, etc laugh at Denton.

But, since I live in Denton (not Denia) I get to laugh at the folks who live in Frisco, Plano, Dallas, McKinney, Allen, etc. Just sayin......

These morons don't understand that they can make some good, extra cash on the weekends that they should, but won't, report to the IRS. It's not like the IRS is going to come knock on their door and say:

"Hey, I know you parked six cars per game at $20 per car for six games. But, you didn't file that $720 on your last return, you heinous, chickenfart of a tax-dodger!"

These numbnuts could be piking in some extra cash just for being nice to people who are spending money in their city and helping their tax base.

But, instead, they are choosing to be General Custard's dead anus about the whole situation. It's stupid and unnecessary. I've never seen anything like it. You go to a game at OU, TCU, the Cotton Bowl, etc., and people are in their yards begging you to park there.

Monkeys play with their own dingdongs. That's all this is: Like watching monkeys at the zoo playing with their own dingdongs just because they can. Well, so what, monkeys of Denia? Everybody who isn't female can play with their own dingdongs, too. That doesn't mean you have to do it front of everyone publicly. Put it back in your pants and let people drive and park in your neighborhood six weekends a year.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

These morons don't understand that they can make some good, extra cash on the weekends that they should, but won't, report to the IRS. It's not like the IRS is going to come knock on their door and say:

"Hey, I know you parked six cars per game at $20 per car for six games. But, you didn't file that $720 on your last return, you heinous, chickenfart of a tax-dodger!"

These numbnuts could be piking in some extra cash just for being nice to people who are spending money in their city and helping their tax base.

But, instead, they are choosing to be General Custard's dead anus about the whole situation. It's stupid and unnecessary. I've never seen anything like it. You go to a game at OU, TCU, the Cotton Bowl, etc., and people are in their yards begging you to park there.

Monkeys play with their own dingdongs. That's all this is: Like watching monkeys at the zoo playing with their own dingdongs just because they can. Well, so what, monkeys of Denia? Everybody who isn't female can play with their own dingdongs, too. That doesn't mean you have to do it front of everyone publicly. Put it back in your pants and let people drive and park in your neighborhood six weekends a year.

Dumb. Not everyone would want to give up their neighborhood on a few Saturdays for $120. In fact, I'd call those who are whining about a little extra driving 'morons.'

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

Dumb. Not everyone would want to give up their neighborhood on a few Saturdays for $120. In fact, I'd call those who are whining about a little extra driving 'morons.'

I don't think people are complaining about having to drive an extra bit to get to the stadium as they see it as making getting to/from the stadium worse than it will already be. Getting onto I35W to go south to Ft. Worth is going to be a chore if all you can do is go north on Bonnie Brae when the game is over.

Correction, those in bold are begging you to park in someone else's yard so you get towed and they collect the cash and run, or are begging you to park there only to return to your car beig stolen.

Well, to be fair, he didn't spell out that scenario. He said 6 cars.

I don't think the 120 is worth it, either, but 720! If you can fit 6 cars in your yard, that's a PS3 or a decent TV upgrade from the CRT. I'd pay the taxes on that and keep the change. Do it the first year, see if the yard damage is so terrible, and move on.

Really, I've just tried to put myself in their shoes and would probably have joined their efforts as well. And I can't understand everyone getting so upset and calling them names. Seems idiotic to me.

Now, if we spent 2011 getting used to that route and THEN they came in to make a fuss I could understand the anger. But lets see how difficult it is to get around before we call people morons.