Thanks For A Great Season Mean Green

SUMG

I agree! What a GREAT season! What GREAT Seniors! I am so proud of your accomplishments....and to come back in the tournament, well it really was no surprize to me. It's about winners! It's about great coaching! We are all saddened about the end of the game, but the last four years have been incredible. Love ya all! Rick Herold

Great end of year effort from the guys. They got beat by an inferior but emotional team who made some incredible shots including two threes opened up by an illegal screen and a push off. Ironically, the lack of bench got NT in the end even though both teams played the same number of games.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

It was a good season but not a great season. We should have been toward the top of the regular season standings. It was an awesome job to come back in tournament. Nice wins over Tech and LSU. Let's hope JJ keeps this program going.

The last two plays will haunt me for a long time. I think both were offensive plays but I didn't like the way we defended. On the first, the man whose guy set the screen has to come off that screen faster and not let that guy get the shot off. On the last play, you just can't let the guy catch the ball, dribble half way up court and get a shot off. Need to force him to give it up or at least slow him down. Those were awesome shots by UALR but somehow need to defend those better.

Knew we were in trouble once we missed that FT.

Great senior class. Nice run in the tournament. 20 wins, for what it's worth, once again.

That said, with what we had coming back and the expectations off of last year.... if I had told you we'd have double digit losses, go .500 in a down year for the conference, and win neither our division during the regular season OR the conference tournament, "great" would be one of the last adjectives you'd ever give to this season. I'll be honest, in November I'd have found these results unimaginable.

While I'll be honest about that, the GREAT thing about how I feel is that that's where JJ has this program. There's not a whole lot at NT with these levels of expectation, and coming into this season, we were in the position to have lofty goals. If we'd had this year a couple of years ago, I'd feel moderately satisfied. As it stands, we're pretty damn lucky this season was a disappointment. I'll miss the hell out of the seniors, but I'm also crazy excited about next year.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I have watched that final shot over and over. There was no push off. Great shot by Bozeman.

There was a push off, but it is just about never going to be called. Even the announcers commented on it, something to the effect it got him the room he needed for the shot. It was a heck of a play and shot and the game should have never come down to that, two threes in the last 22 seconds not to mention another missed three that almost went in.

Really good and memorable year. We didn't win the Division or Conference, so from that standpoint it was a slight disappointment. But any season where we can beat teams from the Big XII, SEC, & make the title game is a highly memorable one. The Seniors never bowed out before the Quarterfinals in their career (Quarters, Semis, Champions, Finalists). Josh and Tristan go out as the winningest players in NT history, never winning less than 20 games -- the first four year guys ever to say that.

As I said in another thread, the 2007 group established the first beachhead -- but the kids that followed (especially Josh/Tristan/George) legitimized the NT program. Everything that comes in the future will be because of those guys.

Edited by CMJ

This team has put UNT on the basketball map along with solid coaching. Collectively they have lined us up for future conference affiliations, given us post season recognition, ignited a fanbase and set a tone of excellence. We have a program others even in our own metroplex admire and desire.

Hoops has set a high standard and we are at that point where we just scare people and pile up wins - a lot like Western Kentucky was for all of those years. Talk about anticipation for next year. Meanwhile AR Little Rock needs to go do some damage. We need to support and prepare for the football team activate in a few short months.

GMG

There was a push off, but it is just about never going to be called. Even the announcers commented on it, something to the effect it got him the room he needed for the shot. It was a heck of a play and shot and the game should have never come down to that, two threes in the last 22 seconds not to mention another missed three that almost went in.

I guess we will respectfully disagree. He dipped his shoulder, but never extended his arm and Shorter was off balance, so they will swallow their whistle every time. Now the "screen" was a horrible non-call. You just can't ignore something as flagrant as that.

• Upvote 1

I guess we will respectfully disagree. He dipped his shoulder, but never extended his arm and Shorter was off balance, so they will swallow their whistle every time. Now the "screen" was a horrible non-call. You just can't ignore something as flagrant as that.

Don't you mean the block? Hell, it looked liked like an offensive lineman taking out the cornerback on a sweep. You can let a lot of things go at the end of the game, but not something as flagrant as that football style block. Just a terrible non-call.

That said, it didn't cost us the game. Josh's turnover and Tristan's failure to knock down both free throws are what killed us.

From the beginning of the season expectations, this season is a disappointment. From the expectations of everyone 3 weeks ago, this tournament run was a huge overachievement. From the expectations with 1:47 left in the game, again a huge, huge disappointment.

I thank the seniors for 4 really terrific years and laying the foundation for what appears, on paper, to be an influx of talent to this program that has never been seen before. Maybe knowing that talent is coming, plus having zero expectations for this team entering this conference tournament, is why I was pretty OK with the outcome 5 minutes after the game.