Throw Your Tortillas

eppy4life

Exciting news, of course. But COME ON! Vito. What a joke.

Your original post suggested this news would change the landscape of NT athletics for years to come. I don't see the signing of a great, but academically ineligible, basketball player to qualify as that.

Best case scenario he gets in, dominates the belt next year, and probably leaves after one year so he doesn't have to go to class anymore. I don't see that as being worthy of your first tease.

Just another reason not to read his blog.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 51

A recruit of his caliber, along with the 2011 NT class, could change the landscape of Mean Green basketball forever. Nevermind the possibility of kids seeing someone in the NBA from North Texas for years to come and having that help influence them on signing day. This isn't a change in conference (who really thought that would be it?), but it was worth the tease. :goodjob:

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Your original post suggested this news would change the landscape of NT athletics for years to come. I don't see the signing of a great, but academically ineligible, basketball player to qualify as that.

Best case scenario he gets in, dominates the belt next year, and probably leaves after one year so he doesn't have to go to class anymore. I don't see that as being worthy of your first tease.

You're an idiot and a jerk.

This is the #12 player in the country. Blake Griffin was ranked 23rd when Rivals had him as a 5 star.

As someone else already pointed out, one draft analyst already has him penciled in as the 7th best prospect for the 2012 draft.

This is the biggest deal we've ever had recruiting wise. In any sport. Ever. Bigger than the guy Fry pulled in that was ranked 1st in Texas.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

I have a feeling most of the negativity is because this was mistakenly posted on the football forum. If there was even a chance that Coach Mac could pull in a 5 star OT, it'd be front page news. So you roll the dice on his being eligible - just to be in a position to gamble on a player of that caliber is really really exciting. At least to me.

oh wow... just... :no:

• Upvote 1

Woa, chill out guys. I figured everyone shared my thoughts. Forgive me for being pessimistic but I'll be excited about this when he gets in, and makes it through his first semester. I won't consider it a 'big day in UNT land' until we see him play for us.

Maybe my fault was reading too much into Vito's first post. But I know I wasn't alone in that.

And for those who want to call me an idiot and a jerk, please edit your post. Thanks.

And those calling me dumb and so dumb. Thanks.

Edited by eppy4life
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 14

If this kid is as good as many are projecting - he's the kind of player who could help us get to a Sweet 16. That very well might change the landscape of our basketball program for years to come.

• Upvote 2

This news is worth the tease. When Tony suits up for us he will be a great player. He could take this snowball rolling downhill from one that you don't want to get hit by to one that could steamroll every other program in this state except the one in Austin.

Just showing that you can get the the promised land of the NBA coming through North Texas will absolutely change the way we are percieved by recruits and potential future conference mates.

This is a very good day in UNT land, one that may well be bigger than we think.

• Upvote 2

One of the worst posts I've ever read on GMG. That's quite an accomplishment.

• Upvote 1

You guys are crazy. I simply pointed out that the enrollment of a once 5 star recruit isn't worthy of a huge tease. Sure, make a post this morning when you see him on campus or have verified that he's filed whatever paperwork he needed to. But when there's such a huge possibility that he doesn't get to play for us, I don't think you make it seem like our athletic program just hit the lottery.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 10

You guys are crazy. I simply pointed out that the enrollment of a once 5 star recruit isn't worthy of a huge tease. Sure, make a post this morning when you see him on campus or have verified that he's filed whatever paperwork he needed to. But when there's such a huge possibility that he doesn't get to play for us, I don't think you make it seem like our athletic program just hit the lottery.

I could really use your shoveling skills to dig my car out of the snow right about now.

So let's say that UNT signed the number 2 quarterback in the nation who was also ranked 12th in the nation. Lets say he was a 5 star quarterback. Would that be tease worthy. Get real, a basketball recruit is more valuble then one in football as you can only have 5 on the court at once. Without Mitchell, this is one of the best recruiting classes UNT HAS EVER HAD. At least one service ranked it the 31st best in the nation(WITHOUT MITCHELL). If Dmac signed a top 20 recruiting class that had 2 of the top 108 players in the country then the board would be doing backflips. When JJ does it it gets a Meh from most. I just don't get it.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

So let's say that UNT signed the number 2 quarterback in the nation who was also ranked 12th in the nation. Lets say he was a 5 star quarterback. Would that be tease worthy. Get real, a basketball recruit is more valuble then one in football as you can only have 5 on the court at once. Without Mitchell, this is one of the best recruiting classes UNT HAS EVER HAD. At least one service ranked it the 31st best in the nation(WITHOUT MITCHELL). If Dmac signed a top 20 recruiting class that had 2 of the top 108 players in the country then the board would be doing backflips. When JJ does it it gets a Meh from most. I just don't get it.

Listen, I don't think any of you are understanding me. I agree the news about signing Mitchell is tease worthy. BUT WE DIDN'T SIGN THE GUY!!! He isn't even enrolled in school yet and we don't know if he'll ever play here. Therefore, there is very little to report. I'll happily eat crow when he leads us to our first ever final four but the rest of you can eat crow when he doesn't ever suit up for us.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6