My Concerns

UNTLifer

Who have we beaten this year? Texas Tech is proving to be mediocre to poor and LSU is a total disaster, and we claim these are our two biggest wins. I love this team and think it has the potential to go back to the tournament, but I am concerned that we really haven't beaten anyone that would be considered very good this year. Thoughts?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Who have we beaten this year? Texas Tech is proving to be mediocre to poor and LSU is a total disaster, and we claim these are our two biggest wins. I love this team and think it has the potential to go back to the tournament, but I am concerned that we really haven't beaten anyone that would be considered very good this year. Thoughts?

Combine this with the fact that the SBC is waaaayyyy down from usual in hoops this year and that is why I believe that we will be a 15 seed again if we win the SBC Tournament. Unless we only lose two more game this year, I just don't see us getting a 14 seed. And that is we win it all. Another SBC team could be a 16 seed, easily. Add in the fact that there are quite a few SBC teams who blatantly sandbagged in the OOC for conference play and are now showing signs of being very competitive in league play (Denver, Troy, Ark State), the rest of the road to Hot Springs will be much more difficult than most of us imagined it would be just a few weeks ago.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Couldn't you say that every year of all but the very best mid major programs like Butler or Gonzaga?

I'd agree with that. Usually the Valley will get some good wins but even a team like Wichita St has concerns because they don't have that signature win (almost beat UConn but that doesn't get you crap). This year, the middle Pac-10 teams dropped some games to mid major teams but there's not a lot of top 6 conferences losing to lower conference teams.

I wouldn't worry about who we've beat. I'd be more worried about the losses. The Troy game was the first loss that really shocked/disappointed me. We went from being overall favorite to West Division favorite (after MTSU loss and FAU continuing to win) to one of three schools that can win the West Div (after Troy loss).

I've always thought you goal should be win all of the conference games at home and play 0.500 on the road. I'm going to be a little nervous until we get that first road win.

• Upvote 1

I don't think you can say that every year. I would say we got beat by Kansas worse than I expected, lost by 20 to Sam Houston, struggled before beating Texas Southern, played TSU-SM way too close and have been beaten by a mediocre MTSU team and a poor Troy team. I'm just wondering if this team is as good as we think it is, that's all.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Combine this with the fact that the SBC is waaaayyyy down from usual in hoops this year and that is why I believe that we will be a 15 seed again if we win the SBC Tournament. Unless we only lose two more game this year, I just don't see us getting a 14 seed. And that is we win it all. Another SBC team could be a 16 seed, easily. Add in the fact that there are quite a few SBC teams who blatantly sandbagged in the OOC for conference play and are now showing signs of being very competitive in league play (Denver, Troy, Ark State), the rest of the road to Hot Springs will be much more difficult than most of us imagined it would be just a few weeks ago.

Troy of 2010-11 is just like Troy of 2007-08. A hot night makes them competitive and dangerous, a cold shooting night makes them an absolute pushover.

Denver is 5-0 and on their way to 9-7. Save the quote, sig it, do whatever... If Denver finishes Sun Belt play with double digit wins, even given the head start they have... I'll be very surprised.

As for our potential seed if we advance to the NCAAs... I still believe we would have been a 14 seed last year if the OKC bracket hadn't included a 15 seed line. If we match last year's record, we'll get the 14 we should have had last season.

We're ahead of where we were last year, both in conference and overall. Until we fall off that pace, I'm not going to start inspecting the sky for cracks.

• Upvote 3

I don't think you can say that every year. I would say we got beat by Kansas worse than I expected, lost by 20 to Sam Houston, struggled before beating Texas Southern, played TSU-SM way too close and have been beaten by a mediocre MTSU team and a poor Troy team. I'm just wondering if this team is as good as we think it is, that's all.

Look at some of our previous year results. We always have some questionable struggles/losses.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

guys come on. Its not the end of the world and yes we do have a solid squad this year. I like how were only bringing up the negatives. This squad is stout, this squad is coached well and this squad WILL win the SBC tourney! JJ will figure it out guys, be patient big things are coming, were to good to let a team like this do nothing... GO MEAN GREEN! :thumbsu:

Troy of 2010-11 is just like Troy of 2007-08. A hot night makes them competitive and dangerous, a cold shooting night makes them an absolute pushover.

No doubt Troy was hot from the field but in that big run Troy had most of those points came from layups. UNT is not a good defensive team. Per Kenpom our defensive rating is #277 (out of 345). Offense is #67. To win we have to have a good offensive night. Against Troy, we didn't shoot really well and White had a bad night. Right now we can't overcome a bad offensive night. Tough shooting nights are more likely to come on the road (unfamiliar shooting backgrounds, travel, tough crowds, etc.). Until our defense gets better, I think we'll continue to struggle on the road.

I don't think it is the end of the world and that we don't have the team to win the SBC and the tourney, but I do think the team and quite a few of us fans have been thumping our chest over our record that is inflated with wins against poor teams and a couple of really bad losses. Honestly, we really should have only lost to Kansas with the talent we have on this team.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

guys come on. Its not the end of the world and yes we do have a solid squad this year. I like how were only bringing up the negatives. This squad is stout, this squad is coached well and this squad WILL win the SBC tourney! JJ will figure it out guys, be patient big things are coming, were to good to let a team like this do nothing... GO MEAN GREEN! :thumbsu:

It is not the end of the world and we could win the SBC tournament. Still we hoped this would be a better team than we have had in the past, and in fact it is just like past teams: losing games to teams which have no business being on the same court with us, erratic to poor defense, etc.

This team, if it wins the Belt, will be no better than a 15 seed and chances are very good we will be a 16. And no 16 has ever won a game. Winning the belt was not my goal, winning the belt in such a way as to get a 12 or 13 seed was my goal. Won't happen.

I will attend all home games and will be in Hot Springs, but I am disappointed.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As far as Who have we beat? Who have we lost to?

Baylor has Kansas at home in front of a sellout crowd. They're losing by 21 points at halftime.

Two potential 1st round NBA draft picks, including a possible #1 overall... Sellout crowd, etc. And they were 12 points worse at the half than we were playing Kansas at Kansas.

I don't know if Baylor ends up losing by 33, but 21 down at the half for an Elite 8 team that has more talent than last year... Wow.

• Upvote 1

As far as Who have we beat? Who have we lost to?

Baylor has Kansas at home in front of a sellout crowd. They're losing by 21 points at halftime.

Two potential 1st round NBA draft picks, including a possible #1 overall... Sellout crowd, etc. And they were 12 points worse at the half than we were playing Kansas at Kansas.

I don't know if Baylor ends up losing by 33, but 21 down at the half for an Elite 8 team that has more talent than last year... Wow.

KU wins by 20. Baylor got it down to 12 but never closer. That first half was either best offensive half or worst defensive half. KU shot 79% from field. Scored on 26 of 34 possessions. Baylor and K-State struggling to meet preseason expectations.

For UNT, next three games are key. We should be able to win them. Get all 3 and we'll be back on track.

It is not the end of the world and we could win the SBC tournament. Still we hoped this would be a better team than we have had in the past, and in fact it is just like past teams: losing games to teams which have no business being on the same court with us, erratic to poor defense, etc.

This team, if it wins the Belt, will be no better than a 15 seed and chances are very good we will be a 16. And no 16 has ever won a game. Winning the belt was not my goal, winning the belt in such a way as to get a 12 or 13 seed was my goal. Won't happen.

I will attend all home games and will be in Hot Springs, but I am disappointed.

I don't see any reason why we can't still get a 14 seed. We really shouldn't lose more than two more games this year...assuming we get our groove going on the road, and take care of business in the SBC Tournament. I see almost ZERO chance we are a 16 seed unless we have a complete debacle in conference and come out of nowhere to win the SBC Tourney.

Edited by Mean Green Matt