Tcu Applications Up 45% This Year

untjim1995

And yet I still get emails from them once a week to get me to join there grad program...

Good to see them get the add notice but going to the Rose Bowl really does very little to help improve their business department. I wonder how many of those "applications" are the standard push by the HS councilors to select 5 schools to apply for and lets see what you get...

Maybe so, but I believe that the "Flutie Factor" that propelled a huge rise in applicatons at Boston College after he won the Heisman seems to be valid. Miami, as a private school, saw its enrollment skyrocket during the 80s, and even Oklahoma saw a huge increase in overall endowments and donations after they won their national championship in 2000.

If counselors are telling people to send their applications to TCU to see if they get in, I doubt anyone over in Ft. Worth is going to complain much.

• Upvote 1

Any post-secondary institution of higher learning in Texas hurting for students has some real problems in their admissions department.

TCU cannot add too many more students than what they have already--same with SMU.

UNT has more green space, ie, real estate for more growth and will need it no matter how good or bad our sports teams perform because most our growth the last quarter century have taken place during some pretty poor times athletically. (Sorry I cannot sugar coat that any better than that).

http://www.killerfrogs.com/msgboard/index.php?showtopic=130178

Amazing that people want to be associated with a winner and enjoy sports as a part of the college experience.

What is more amazing is that people want to throw away 40k a year for an education they could get for 20% of that just because of a football game.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

And I think many of us would have loved "the Little Sisters of the Poor's" chances in the national championship game, too.

I fear greed will eventually mess up the entire NCAA football structure.

What the Big Boys seem to be saying to all is that there is no more room at the inn for anyone except themselves; even for FBS schools like North Texas who could build up their football programs to at least what many of their respective AQ conference's lower half schools have already. How many of those lower half schools in all the AQ conferences would love to have what Boise and TCU have and might just never will?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Texas' applications rose I believe over 50% when they won the national championship. I believe OU's not only applications but the endowment I think tripled or quadrupled the year they won the NC in 200. It's no secret what athletics can do for a university that isn't an Ivy League type of school.

As for TCU's....not everybody is going to be paying 40K a year. Many students will probably get scholarships and grants so while it is an expensive private school it doesn't mean they will be necessarily be paying for the whole thing.

Texas' applications rose I believe over 50% when they won the national championship. I believe OU's not only applications but the endowment I think tripled or quadrupled the year they won the NC in 200. It's no secret what athletics can do for a university that isn't an Ivy League type of school.

As for TCU's....not everybody is going to be paying 40K a year. Many students will probably get scholarships and grants so while it is an expensive private school it doesn't mean they will be necessarily be paying for the whole thing.

Wow...I actually agree with you on this. In fact, the one day that brings in the most dollars and commitments to the Harvard and Yale endowments and programs happens to be the day of the Harvard-Yale football game every year...or so it is reported. Imagine that.

I know several TCU grads and none of them payed the "full freight" of the posted tuition. All had scholarships and/or grants of some sort or another that helped. I am sure some do pay the full cost, but as Green Mean says many do not....same goes for most private schools such as Yale, Harvard, SMU, Austin College, Trinity, Southwestern, etc., etc. Doesn't mean that even then the cost is not more than UNT's but it is often not near the "posted rate".

Everyone knows that NC in 200 was a fluke. Oklahoma did not start building its dynasty until all of the transfers from Tennessee, Georgia, and the like started coming in the 1830s.

If you think their endowment increase was impressive, you should have seen the Arapahos.

• Upvote 2

And I think many of us would have loved "the Little Sisters of the Poor's" chances in the national championship game, too.

I fear greed will eventually mess up the entire NCAA football structure.

What the Big Boys seem to be saying to all is that there is no more room at the inn for anyone except themselves; even for FBS schools like North Texas who could build up their football programs to at least what many of their respective AQ conference's lower half schools have already. How many of those lower half schools in all the AQ conferences would love to have what Boise and TCU have and might just never will?

GMG!

You know, PMG, Back in the old SWC days, TCU was waaaaayyyyy behind Baylor in everything. Ol' Grant Teaff was a great coach, they had multiple winning seasons, had great recruiting ties, and solid facilities. But what really helped Baylor was that they got to play against schools that were similar to them (TCU, SMU, and Rice) and two others (Tech and UH) that had resources very similar to them. However, Baylor sold themselves out for a big check every year when the Big XII formed and because of that decision, although financially strong, they now look at TCU in their front windshield, not the rear-view.

Nowadays, Baylor, even with a good coach in Art Briles, will never get back to that level again, as long as they stay in a conference with the 9 other major state programs that are more well-funded, have much larger enrollments, and have more legislative pull. But, Baylor made the decision long ago to take the BCS millions and hope for 6-6 to get them a bowl game. That Baylor continues to make much more $$$ in this college football business than TCU or Boise State is a travesty, but what you talk about in your post above is very legitimate. The haves are not terribly interested in sharing with the have-nots. TCU has had to make their own way, just as Boise State has done.

The really ironic part is that a school like Baylor, who strategically aligned with the big-time Texas schools that they have nothing in common with, is the most susceptible of getting "replaced", since the Bevo 10 has very little chance of survival if even one of the teams leavs for another conference. And that will happen--either the Aggies will go to the SEC or Missouri will get into the Big Ten, or Texas will go independent. Baylor was amazingly close to being sent all the way down to CUSA this past summer. I suspect that will eventually play out. If the AQ is going to drop a Baylor (and others), as you suspect, they aren't going to open up their arms to accepting many others. TCU found a way in, even if it was through the back door, to be an AQ team. Whether that stays that way over the enxt decade or so might be in question, but they have a better chance of staying there than Baylor does, much less a team like Boise State who will continue to need undefeated seasons to just hope to get included in a big BCS bowl game. For schools like ours, it could still happen, but it will be an even tougher road to that AQ status than it has been for TCU.

• Upvote 1