Texas State (11/27/10)

CMJ

Man that game was ugly. It looked like a few players were sick , mainly Hogans. Everytime he came out of the game he had to stand by the trash can incased he hurled. UNT fans almost outnumbered the TX St fans. Glad i went , but damn I wish they would make at least 1 game easy. We aren't going to be able to sleep walk our way to many more wins this season. It's early , but we need to improve if we want to go back dancing

• Upvote 2

Man that game was ugly. It looked like a few players were sick , mainly Hogans. Everytime he came out of the game he had to stand by the trash can incased he hurled. UNT fans almost outnumbered the TX St fans. Glad i went , but damn I wish they would make at least 1 game easy. We aren't going to be able to sleep walk our way to many more wins this season. It's early , but we need to improve if we want to go back dancing

I wish we were putting away opponents like TX State earlier in the game then this, but hopefully all these close wins are helping the team to learn how to fight in close games. I have been extremely impressed with our ability to perform in pressure situations. Definitely would like to get to a position where we have better minute distribution.

Didn't watch game, only listened to parts at Fouts. A very scary game that much better three shooting and free throws pulled it out for NT. Good teams find ways to win but this game illustrates NT's depth problem. NT bench accounted for 38 minutes total with 6 points and 10 rebounds with Edwards with 4 points and 3 rebounds. Holmen had another questionable game only playing 7 minutes. NT is not going far unless they get a lot more bench help. It was amplified this game because Johnson started, but someone has to step forward.

Edited by GrandGreen

Didn't watch game, only listened to parts at Fouts. A very scary game that much better three shooting pulled it out for NT. Good teams find ways to win but this game illustrates NT's depth problem. NT bench accounted for 38 minutes total with 6 points and 10 rebounds with Edwards with 4 points and 3 rebounds. Holmen had another questionable game. NT is not going far unless they get a lot more bench help. It was amplified this game because Johnson started, but someone has to step forward.

Yes , we really need Spencer back. Holmen didn't play much , but for the first time that I've seen he actually created his own shot by going to the hole. My biggest gripe about him is that he turns and shoots every time he touches the ball. He didn't do that one time today. He's taking baby steps , but he is improving ever so slowly

txst-strahan-coliseum-375.jpg

We didn't play well, but gutted out a win anyway.

Fun fact (credit to NT03 for pointing it out): First half, we shot at the basket with that giant, blank, off-white wall right behind it. First half field goal percentage: 35.7%. Second half, we shoot at the basket with a traditional backdrop of seating and fans (10 of them). Second half field goal percentage: 69.6%.

When we didn't have to shoot at the freak basket, our shots went in twice as often.

Twice last year, we played road games against in-state opponents with freakish venues: Rice and UTA. Both times, we shot poorly but gutted out wins. Rice has one basket with a backdrop of a clear glass wall that you can see all the way through the lobby and out the doors. UTA has the weird theater walls that both look a lot like the Albino Monolith Wall at Texas State.

If this year doesn't work out, it's going to be due to injuries and fatigue. Just like last year, 'unnecessarily' close wins and 'playing down' against inferior competition won't mean jack when it matters. If we 'play down' but still win, I don't care. We didn't play down against Tech, and I doubt we'll do it against LSU. As long as we do what it takes to beat the opponent on the floor against us on any given night, that's all that matters.

For RPI purposes, home wins have a 0.6 multiplier. Road wins have a 1.4 multiplier. There is no RPI bonus for 'style points' or margin of victory. Until there is one, I don't care if we win every game by one point on a last second shot. We just need to keep winning.

If we win, it's a win. The fact that we came from behind against Texas State doesn't bother me. The fact that we had to play basically a 5 man lineup the whole game does. But at the end of the day, we're 4-1 and counting, and even the experts are projecting us to finish with 4-7 losses.

Is this sort of lineup sustainable? Probably not. I don't think so, at least.

But then again, I didn't think we could survive when Kendrick Davis punched out a window after the UTA game back in 2006. But instead of folding up, we went on a 9-2 run.

Right now, even if we end up with a 7 man rotation... Even if Holmen doesn't develop, if Alzee doesn't play, if Spencer stays injured... We've got a team that has already proven they can beat anyone we play this season (that isn't a potential NCAA #1 seed) and has proven they absolutely refuse to lose.

I'd always be happy with more... But looking at what we've got, I'll take it. And I still like our odds this year.

Edited by TheTastyGreek
  • Upvote 4

What the heck is behind that wall? Odd looking arena.

They have small practice gyms hidden back there -- perfect for the many dance/drill team camps they host throughout the summer.

EDIT: I learned later that the gyms are around the outer concourse and my inside source has no idea what's in that room?

-David Bailiff?

-Larry Teis' doomsday device?

-Coach Fran?

Not even the human hayride knows for sure...

Edited by Quoner
  • Upvote 1