This Is What I'm Talking About

SilverEagle

*Bit through tongue. Tongue now gushing blood everywhere*

I really don't like to speculate on a coaching job when we have a coach in place... no matter how poorly the team is doing, but this scenario would be amazing, and should be the 1st choice for RV.

As for the other speculative threads on possible coaches, coach Fran is a no-brainer choice if he's willing to join the Mean Green family.

The guy is a WINNER.

His departure from Alabama was kinda crappy. I think if I were in his shoes (stuck in sanctions and Texas A&M kicking down my door to get to me) I would have left too. His delivery to the Alabama players was awful, but that does not appear to be chronic behavior like Kiffin or Petrino. His only problem at A&M was that dumb newsletter (which there aren't enough rich donors here to even have an issue like that).

The guy is a WINNER. He has won everywhere he has gone. Isn't this what we want? An experienced D1 coach who has a proven history of WINNING?

Bring on Brad too! Perfect! Everyone knows what happened to a school just down 35 when Mr. Franchione left for greener pastures and the D.C. decided to stick around.

Tulsa Kragthorpe is also intriguing. However, Louisville Kragthorpe is not.

Major Applewhite is too green. The name would be great for recruiting, but everyone thought Todd Dodge's name was great too. Let's not try this again.

R.C. Slocum? Too Old. Too Aggie. Not even realistic anyway, isn't he on A&M's payroll?

Other BCS up-&-coming coordinators or position coaches are pretty risky. They could be a home run, or they could bust. We can't afford this gamble right now. Not after the colossal gamble of hiring coach Dodge.

Other DIAA, DII coaches are not what we're looking for. Chris Thomsen (offensive mind) may be a great choice for OC under a guy like coach Fran though.

*Tongue sewed back on. No more comments like this until the situation arises.*

Bring them both in. Fran will build this program back up to respectability. Fran still has come years to coach but he won't coach another 10-15 years by any stretch of the imagination. If his son is the real deal then he can take over his dads job.

As far as his reputation shot in Texas...from a big school standpoint maybe so but he recruited some great athletes at A&M. It didn't translate to wins as they hoped but they have been in a funk for a decade now and many will say that Mike Sherman isn't the answer for the future. Bring in Franchione and you have instant credibility, brand new stadium, energized alumni/fan base, energized student body. I don't think there is anything failed in this proposition.

• Upvote 1

Hey, why not get that North Dakota State coach that beat Kansas.....i'm sure he has connections in the upper midwest and canada.......

hey, why not get that James Madison coach that beat Virginia Tech....whow......he can bring some of those east coast players that everyone overlooks.....

hey, what is Jerry Glanville doing these days....we could get him cheap.

hey, all Lou Holtz is doing is sitting around giving commentary on ESPN.....he would jump at a chance to coach at NT's new stadium besides he still has a bunch of contacts around the world.

hey, Patino might retire this season.....we could get all those Penn players....and ya know 80+ aint that old anymore. besides we have warmer falls and winters here in Denton......

Ya think that Jerry Moore might reconsider coming back to Denton since he took Appy State to the Big House and beat Michigan? I read on a blog that he still likes Denton. Hurry....call RV on this one.

Slocom for a HC and Fry as his assistant.....how about that one?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Hey, why not get that North Dakota State coach that beat Kansas.....i'm sure he has connections in the upper midwest and canada.......

hey, why not get that James Madison coach that beat Virginia Tech....whow......he can bring some of those east coast players that everyone overlooks.....

hey, what is Jerry Glanville doing these days....we could get him cheap.

hey, all Lou Holtz is doing is sitting around giving commentary on ESPN.....he would jump at a chance to coach at NT's new stadium besides he still has a bunch of contacts around the world.

hey, Patino might retire this season.....we could get all those Penn players....and ya know 80+ aint that old anymore. besides we have warmer falls and winters here in Denton......

Ya think that Jerry Moore might reconsider coming back to Denton since he took Appy State to the Big House and beat Michigan? I read on a blog that he still likes Denton. Hurry....call RV on this one.

Slocom for a HC and Fry as his assistant.....how about that one?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Or bring back a coach that will probably be 5-43 at the end of the season to go into the new stadium!!

Feel the excitement!!!

I am really glad you have nothing to do with coaching decisions at our alma amter right now. You and Al Hurley would have gotten along great!!

untjim,

thanks for the reply. When Coach Dodge was going through all these tribulations many of these same posters who are wanting him to depart were supporting him.

IMHO, I would much rather watch what Coach Dodge can do with a full deck of cards for two years than with a half of deck for four.

So what if you get a new coach next year....and what if all of Coach Dodge's players are healthy including the QB's and the new coach wins seven or eight games. Do you contribute the success to Coach Dodge for having the talent here or the new coach for wining?

Kinda reminds me when Coach Mitchell retired after the end of the '66 season and Coach Rusk (an offensive or defensive coordinator at Stanford) took over in the '67 season. Who did he begin with? three first round future nfl draft picks and bunch of other really good guys. you would have thought that Coach Rusk could have built upon that success in those "Mean Green" glory years. Na, could not recruit on success. NT fell into the abyss.

We do know that Coach Dodge can recruit. We do know that Coach Dodge has had all sorts of intangible problems on and off the field.......Like I said before, if I were RV I would bring back Coach Dodge for another season and let him play with a FULL DECK for at least two years instead of a half a deck which he has been playing with since his arrival.

Agree or not that is the way I feel about ... and ... evidently I am in the minority opinion.

Edited by eulesseagle
  • Downvote 3

Got to agree with you OldTimer.....

1. Everyone seems to forget about this same thread the last two years of Coach Dickey. Enough said about Coach Dickey.

2. Coach Dodge began with a bunch of really really really bad players except for, maybe, a handful. In the decades that I have been watching NT football ..... the days when you went home and pulled splinters out of your backside because the wooden seat were somewhat delapidated, the reminants of Coach Dickey's team had to be one of the worst if not the worst overall bunch.

3. Grades.....enough said.

4. Racial striff....enough said.

5. Players quiting....for whatever reason it happens to all programs.

6. Starting freshmen QB's in two of the four years.

7. Having to move players around to fill holes from lack of depth.

8. Playing more freshmen and sophmore than just about any other D1 program for the first two years....see also #2.

9. Somehow Coach Dodge was able to get consistanly better players every year for some reason. hummmmm.

10. Became more competitive defensively....just look at the numbers.

11. Last year was a tear jerker loosing six games by a touchdown or less. Much better than his first two years.

12. Got Coach Canales this year plus his NFL volunteer buddy.

13. Tune....one start before this year. Looked good against Alabama, Clemson and Rice....INJURED...out for this year.

14. Thompson....back up.....INJURED for this season.

15. RDodge......injury prone and bad collar bone in throwing apendage...our new QB.

16. 10 STARTERS out for year....next highest....Utah State with five.

I have never ever seen an NT coach so snakebit in over forty years. Personally I believe that Coach Dodge has the players and coaches to win.....the players and especially the QB's must stay healthy.

I would give Coach Dodge his FIFTH YEAR considering the circumstances and if he did well next year EXTEND his contract.

Let Coach Dodge play with a FULL DECK for two years than a half a deck for four.

IMHO, this young man has had the kind of character-building life experiences that it takes to turn things around at NT. If not this guy, then someone very much like him!

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/09/21/2485998/little-fran-has-his-own-plan-at.html

I think this guy might have what it takes and it seems like he might be interested.

So, if we lost 8-10 games next year, would that not even be good enough for you eulesseagle? You said that Dodge needs two years with a full deck (which I presume you to mean a healthy team in the new stadium). So what happens if we go 3-9? Do you honestly think we should extend his contract so he would have his other year with a full deck?

Or say we have injuries next year? Eventually the excuses stop, ESPECIALLY when the coach has had zero success.

Edited by CMJ

So, if we lost 8-10 games next year, would that not even be good enough for you eulesseagle? You said that Dodge needs two years with a full deck (which I presume you to mean a healthy team in the new stadium). So what happens if we go 3-9? Do you honestly think we should extend his contract so he would have his other year with a full deck?

Or say we have injuries next year? Eventually the excuses stop, ESPECIALLY when the coach has had zero success.

CMJ, I would make my decision after two years with a full deck. If it is still 3-9 after two years then I will jump on the bus with the majority and ask for another coach.

Euless Eagle, you make some valid points. I have been a Dodge supporter, and I am not going to hide. BUT it has become very hard to do that since the Army game. I have bounced back and forth, and CMJ could well ask me what is my threshold as well.

But, to answer the topic of this thread, we need a Div. 1 coach with Div 1 experience with a Div 1 staff. Sorry Silver, great coach and a great suggestion, but we have got to go for experience.

CMJ, I would make my decision after two years with a full deck. If it is still 3-9 after two years then I will jump on the bus with the majority and ask for another coach.

So, just to make sure I have this correct...you would extend his contract after next season even with a losing record(his FIRST with a full deck). So that would be five straight seasons with no more than 5 wins. And if next season we have a couple of key cogs (like say Dunbar or something) so down to injury, you would give him a pass on that year as well.

I have this correct?

Edited by CMJ

untjim,

thanks for the reply. When Coach Dodge was going through all these tribulations many of these same posters who are wanting him to depart were supporting him.

IMHO, I would much rather watch what Coach Dodge can do with a full deck of cards for two years than with a half of deck for four.

The reason why people have turned on Dodge is because he has failed miserably at his job. I don't know how 5-34 is acceptable no matter what the situation is. There has been an excuse every year since he took the job and yet there are still more excuses for him. By some peoples scenario, the man will have 6 or 7 years to do be successful in his job and even then its a complete crap shoot? This isn't the lowest BCS school in the best conference...this is a program in the worst conference in CFB and he has been touted as an offensive genius, quarterback preparing genius, and a guy that recruits unbelievably well. I haven't seen any any of those things while he's been here. Ok maybe he's got some talented players but if they can't be coached then what's the point? When Dodge got here they were only two seasons removed from winning 4 straight conference championships and going to 4 straight bowl games.

Edited by Green Mean

We could give Dodge 10 years and he might get it figured out, but I don't want to pay for his learning curve if he gets the 7 wins this year I am good. If not it is time to let Dodge go, from a business decision standpoint RV won't have a choice he will have to make a change. The fans and the donors will have a reason to get excited if we have a proven coach with a recognizable name. Selling more season tickets and getting donations will just get flatter the longer we keep Dodge. My immediate group has gone from a peak of 26 people to 7 people with only 5 showing the last home game. If Dodge does not get winning soon it will be a ghost town at Fouts soon, and I am sure donations follow the same curve. If Dodge stays with a losing record I may not have a group anymore at all.

• Upvote 1

The reason why people have turned on Dodge is because he has failed miserably at his job. I don't know how 5-34 is acceptable no matter what the situation is. There has been an excuse every year since he took the job and yet there are still more excuses for him. By some peoples scenario, the man will have 6 or 7 years to do be successful in his job and even then its a complete crap shoot? This isn't the lowest BCS school in the best conference...this is a program in the worst conference in CFB and he has been touted as an offensive genius, quarterback preparing genius, and a guy that recruits unbelievably well. I haven't seen any any of those things while he's been here. Ok maybe he's got some talented players but if they can't be coached then what's the point? When Dodge got here they were only two seasons removed from winning 4 straight conference championships and going to 4 straight bowl games.

Yes, if we were going to offer an on the job training program, we needed to hire a quick learner. Not someone who takes until the 4th year to finally jettison the other high school coaches. Then again hindsight is never myopic.

Edited by foutsrouts

Selling more season tickets and getting donations will just get flatter the longer we keep Dodge. My immediate group has gone from a peak of 26 people to 7 people with only 5 showing the last home game. If Dodge does not get winning soon it will be a ghost town at Fouts soon, and I am sure donations follow the same curve. If Dodge stays with a losing record I may not have a group anymore at all.

This.

So, just to make sure I have this correct...you would extend his contract after next season even with a losing record(his FIRST with a full deck). So that would be five straight seasons with no more than 5 wins. And if next season we have a couple of key cogs (like say Dunbar or something) so down to injury, you would give him a pass on that year as well.

I have this correct?

Two years with a full deck......a normal amount of injuries is what is expected (including if Dunbar or something goes down to injury) in football but not ten starters plus all the other situations that I have mentioned over the last four years.

and..........Yes...........you do have that correct. That would be Coach Dodge's fifth year under contact and one additional.

If Coach Dodge can not right the ship after that Coach Canales does not seem so bad as a possible HC and keeping Coach DeLoach I think would be in order. Both seem to be qualified in their positions and having major NCAA and NFL experience for Coach C.

I cannot see giving a extension to any coach with a losing record in their first 5 years of service. I mean it's one thing to have him back after this year(which is already bordering on ridiculous) because he's under contract, and i suppose you could just let his contract run out ala Coach Slinker.

But to EXTEND HIM is just....

:blink:

I cannot see giving a extension to any coach with a losing record in their first 5 years of service. I mean it's one thing to have him back after this year(which is already bordering on ridiculous) because he's under contract, and i suppose you could just let his contract run out ala Coach Slinker.

But to EXTEND HIM is just....

:blink:

I'm lazy to research but I am sure even Slinker had a higher winning percentage that makes Dodges winning percentage look like a joke.

Two years with a full deck......a normal amount of injuries is what is expected (including if Dunbar or something goes down to injury) in football but not ten starters plus all the other situations that I have mentioned over the last four years.

and..........Yes...........you do have that correct. That would be Coach Dodge's fifth year under contact and one additional.

If Coach Dodge can not right the ship after that Coach Canales does not seem so bad as a possible HC and keeping Coach DeLoach I think would be in order. Both seem to be qualified in their positions and having major NCAA and NFL experience for Coach C.

And you would sell this to potential recruits and donors how?

If this happened, I'm not sure I would buy season tickets next year