Can A Lifetime Husker Fan Become A

MCMLXXX

I spoke with a friend this evening who attended his first Mean Green football game on Saturday (he has lived in Denton since the late 90's). His wife (not much of a sports fan) recently took a job at NT and she suggested that they get season tickets available for the staff. He is a lifelong Husker fan and his family has owned 50 yardline seats in Lincoln since 1952. He has seen some great football games. I asked about his experience. He told me how difficult it was to find a place to park, he told me about a guy behind him in Section C who was yelling at the coaches saying they lost the game, he told me a guy on the sideline (later Identified as the AD) was looking in the stands trying to locate the guy and staring him down, he told me how awful special teams were and how the guy yelling made a good point. I then asked "So overall what did you think?". He said "I enjoyed it. We went in this week, upgraded our tickets,joined the Mean Green Club and now I have a parking pass. I'm looking forward to the rest of the season." He has a Husker golf bag, is almost never seen without his Husker red shirts, but on game day in Denton Texas he now wears Green.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

that's great!!! maybe on days other than game day, he'll wear an nt hat just for the hell of it!!!

the game day experience has improved exponentially at north texas! this really isn't a big surprise that someone bought tickets due to their experience. it's an awesome thing and i would think more will do the same thing!!!

Edited by radiogreen

I spoke with a friend this evening who attended his first Mean Green football game on Saturday (he has lived in Denton since the late 90's). His wife (not much of a sports fan) recently took a job at NT and she suggested that they get season tickets available for the staff. He is a lifelong Husker fan and his family has owned 50 yardline seats in Lincoln since 1952. He has seen some great football games. I asked about his experience. He told me how difficult it was to find a place to park, he told me about a guy behind him in Section C who was yelling at the coaches saying they lost the game, he told me a guy on the sideline (later Identified as the AD) was looking in the stands trying to locate the guy and staring him down, he told me how awful special teams were and how the guy yelling made a good point. I then asked "So overall what did you think?". He said "I enjoyed it. We went in this week, upgraded our tickets,joined the Mean Green Club and now I have a parking pass. I'm looking forward to the rest of the season." He has a Husker golf bag, is almost never seen without his Husker red shirts, but on game day in Denton Texas he now wears Green.

Way To Go Section C! Reeling in new UNT Fans since 2010!

Edited by All About UNT

There are a lot of transplanted fans of other schools in the DFW area that are also just general fans of college football. I think there should be a concerted effort to tap into this potential fringe fan base.

If you, as a NT alum and fan, found yourself living in Boise for whatever reason couldn't you be tempted to take in a Boise game if invited? I'm not suggesting we can convert them to dumping their own school but NT could become their substitute team to watch.

This is a great thread. You don't have to go to a school to become a fan of that school. NT has a ton of alumni in the area but repeated it is stress they are often married to fans of other schools. I know now two couples who went to UT who's children now go to NT and they plan on coming up for a few games.

This might be blasphemy to write but you can be a fan of a school you didn't attend. Now I know at least one in his own words "lifetime diehard UT fan" who never graduated from any college and went to NT for two years. He is a douche. But someone who lives in the area or had kids who got to NT can certainly become a fan. And I don't really mind the couple who went to NT and now have a child going to Tech who are Tech fans. They still want NT to beat Tech and that's all that really matters, doesn't it!

First thought: if you feel you are obligated - or have the right - to yell your frustrations towards the staff/players...consider there are fans out there, perhaps in your immediate vicinity, looking for reasons to be become Mean Green fans, and others looking for reasons to not be fans.

1950s?! That is amazing.

Edited by greenminer

I'm always glad when we get a new fan.

But I'll also defend whoever it was that was yelling at the coaches. (And I'm not sure who it was). Stop and think....maybe the person yelling at the coaches...has been a long-time fan. Let the new Nebraska fan sit through the last 5 years of NT football and see if he can handle it without getting a little frustrated. He's seen one game.

A pretty good game at that....one in which we were very competitive.

He hasn't seen 5-33...which has included some of the worst losses in NT history.

So while we salute the Nebraska guy who has been in Denton for 20 years...and finally comes to a game...maybe the other guy (being bagged on) has been here for a while.

And btw....I didn't yell at the coaches.....but if someone did (and didn't cuss or use any slurs)....I can see why they did.

Just sayin'....

• Upvote 5

I'm always glad when we get a new fan.

But I'll also defend whoever it was that was yelling at the coaches. (And I'm not sure who it was). Stop and think....maybe the person yelling at the coaches...has been a long-time fan. Let the new Nebraska fan sit through the last 5 years of NT football and see if he can handle it without getting a little frustrated. He's seen one game.

A pretty good game at that....one in which we were very competitive.

He hasn't seen 5-33...which has included some of the worst losses in NT history.

So while we salute the Nebraska guy who has been in Denton for 20 years...and finally comes to a game...maybe the other guy (being bagged on) has been here for a while.

And btw....I didn't yell at the coaches.....but if someone did (and didn't cuss or use any slurs)....I can see why they did.

Just sayin'....

I guarantee they'd be yelling the same things, or worse, in Lincoln with the same inability to develop special teams and a team that continues to make crucial and silly mistakes.

Being a fan/follower of North Texas Athletics is like getting sucked into a real life soap opera/reality TV show that never has a season finale or series ending episode. The cast of characters, the ups and downs, twists and turns, the elation and heartache, the hijinx and shenanigans...and, oh, the drama, all played out on a stage that is Denton, Texas. It must be boring to be a fan of Texas, Ohio State, Florida, Alabama, et cetera....yawn. They've got nothing on The Mean Green Nation! Just think how lucky we are. Be thankful my friends, be thankful.

Keith

Edited by keith
  • Upvote 1

I also sit in section C. I sit amoung a hornets' nest of the disgruntled. By simply paying attention, over time, I cant just about tell you who are some of the parents, grand parents, ex-players (from anywhere), coaches wives, etc....because they are the ones that keep their damn mouths shut !!!

Yelling out insults directly at a player, coach, etc in front of their families is just classless...oh yeah, I know I know, you have a right to be classless !!

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

Glad to hear it. The fan bases of the big boys (Texas, Notre Dame, Michigan, Alabama, Nebraska, et al.) certainly do not depend solely upon students and alumni. And while I'm happy that he is wearing green on game day, I wouldn't be offended if he wore Husker red (that doesn't apply to UNT students or alumni).

I also sit in section C. I sit amoung a hornets' nest of the disgruntled. By simply paying attention, over time, I cant just about tell you who are some of the parents, grand parents, ex-players (from anywhere), coaches wives, etc....because they are the ones that keep their damn mouths shut !!!

Yelling out insults directly at a player, coach, etc in front of their families is just classless...oh yeah, I know I know, you have a right to be classless !!

Wish I could give you more than one +1. :clapping:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This. +1 for you, Sir. In my opinion, it is never the thing to do to yell insults at players and/or coaches. Yell all you want, be disappointed, be happy, heck, even be grumpy, but try to show a little class while you are at it during the games. Does anyone really think any of the coaches or players are not trying their best to win the game? It might not be enough, and certainly hasn't been in the last few years, but they go out and plan and work hard for every game and try their best to win. Sometimes people act the way they do because they need, for some reason, to bring attention to themselves or they feel they have a right to do what they do. OK, fine, but try to think first and yell second. There are any number of reasons to "show some class" even when others around you are not!

An ex-player sat with us at the last game, and I can tell you that he was just as disappointed as any one else in the stadium with the outcome, but he uttered not one "bad word" about any player or any coach. He has been there and done that, and I think those that have feel a special bond to those in the heat of battle currently. This kid had the pleasure of playing in a New Orleans Bowl, but he also suffered through some defeats while a player for UNT. He mentioned that it is usually those who "think" they know what's going on that over-react during games. Interesting comment, I thought.

By the way, he also didn't rag on any fans. He knows the deal and knows that people buy tickets and hope for a "good show" and a win. He said fan have every right to be upset with the current situation, but everyone needs to watch what they say and who they say it too as ex-players, friends, wives, grandparents, kids, etc. all sit nearby.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

First off, the individual previously mentioned wasn't yelling a thing at the players, his comments were aimed at the coaches.

Second, he yelled nothing classless. Just voicing displeasure at the decisions being made on the field, and I assure you the coaches have heard much much worst.

Third, most of the players families sit in D or E and in the upper sections, at least that's where most of their comp tickets are so I can't see how they can hear what is being said below them. But odds are if they have been watching football as long as one can expect that they have that they have heard much worst over the years.

Fourth, "hornets nest of the disgruntled"? :rolleyes:, and on the same side of the stadium that gets accused all the time by some here on this board as being a graveyard and how the alumni are always sitting on the hands? Are you kidding me, go to a Tx Tech, OU or LSU game and listen to what you'll hear yelled down onto the field. Makes Fouts sound like a day care.

Fifth(no I'm not Ruby Thewes), has anyone here considered that when/if RV did stare back towards the stands that he may have been staring in agreement with what was being shouted but just couldn't say or show any motion of agreement? I do, and I believe that was exactly his intent.

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Fourth, "hornets nest of the disgruntled"? :rolleyes:, and on the same side of the stadium that gets accused all the time by some here on this board as being a graveyard and how the alumni are always sitting on the hands? Are you kidding me, go to a Tx Tech, OU or LSU game and listen to what you'll hear yelled down onto the field. Makes Fouts sound like a day care.

Quite... How true this is.

• Upvote 2

This is a great thread. You don't have to go to a school to become a fan of that school. NT has a ton of alumni in the area but repeated it is stress they are often married to fans of other schools. I know now two couples who went to UT who's children now go to NT and they plan on coming up for a few games.

This might be blasphemy to write but you can be a fan of a school you didn't attend. Now I know at least one in his own words "lifetime diehard UT fan" who never graduated from any college and went to NT for two years. He is a douche. But someone who lives in the area or had kids who got to NT can certainly become a fan. And I don't really mind the couple who went to NT and now have a child going to Tech who are Tech fans. They still want NT to beat Tech and that's all that really matters, doesn't it!

Double Standard???

So your point that it's ok to be a fan of a school you didn't attend but this guy is a douche for doing so??

If the situation were reversed and he was a UNT fan and attended UT for a couple of years would he still be douche-tastic?

I know if vouge to bag on the so called "t-shrit fan" but the fact is UNT will never fill up the new stadium or expand it to 50k if we don't start getting the "t-shirt fan" to attend. Its true for any college that is drawing big numbers. Go to DKR, Kyle, Jones SBC, Gaylord Family, or any other full stadium on a given Saturday and you'll find only a minority of fans present actually hold degrees from the two schools playing.

So YES, it's ok for a lifelong Husker fan to be a fan of North Texas... We need as many as we can get!

• Upvote 1

First off, the individual previously mentioned wasn't yelling a thing at the players, his comments were aimed at the coaches.

`has anyone here considered that when/if RV did stare back towards the stands that he may have been staring in agreement with what was being shouted but just couldn't say or show any motion of agreement? FRUSTRATION. I do, and I believe that was exactly his intent.

Rick

Fixed it for you

i agree with this. fans of unt are there to enjoy the game. i do not want to listen to baghdad bob rant and yell about his distain of dodge for 30 minutes. put a sock in it bob!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Put it this way...i grew up in New Hampshire and my Dad in Boston...he raised me as a DIE HARD Red Sox Fan... to this day i am still a die hard Red Sox fan but have now lived in Texas for 5 years and really enjoy the Rangers. I'm still a Sox fan first and even though i do go to ranger games from time to time with Texas gear on...if they ever played Boston i would have my Sox hat on and be booing the rangers...but it doesn't mean i cant be a fan of the Hometown team. The rangers needed the fans and so does North Texas.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

Put it this way...i grew up in New Hampshire and my Dad in Boston...he raised me as a DIE HARD Red Sox Fan... to this day i am still a die hard Red Sox fan but have now lived in Texas for 5 years and really enjoy the Rangers. I'm still a Sox fan first and even though i do go to ranger games from time to time with Texas gear on...if they ever played Boston i would have my Sox hat on and be booing the rangers...but it doesn't mean i cant be a fan of the Hometown team. The rangers needed the fans and so does North Texas.

Thank you for your courage.

Now, please accept this -1 from a Rangers fan due to your admission of openly rooting against the Rangers. It's like spanking your child. It hurts the parent more than the child. I still love you though.

• Upvote 3