Tuesday Notebook: Injury Update, Potential Position Switches

Brett Vito

Here is where I make my "move your best athlete" to the defensive side of the ball pitch: Riley Dodge to either corner or safety. At least give him a look in the nickel. You won't have a defensive back more in tune with what a QB is looking for.

I also re-new my plea to have Riley return punts and kicks. I don't think one touch per game is enough for Riley if you are going to keep him on the offensive side of the ball.

To me, Riley Dodge has always been another Eric Weddle just waiting to happen. The problem is too much time was wasted trying to prove he was a quarterback rather than have him on the field contributing where he was needed.

He can do this. He can be Eric Weddle II.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Here is where I make my "move your best athlete" to the defensive side of the ball pitch: Riley Dodge to either corner or safety. At least give him a look in the nickel. You won't have a defensive back more in tune with what a QB is looking for.

I also re-new my plea to have Riley return punts and kicks. I don't think one touch per game is enough for Riley if you are going to keep him on the offensive side of the ball.

To me, Riley Dodge has always been another Eric Weddle just waiting to happen. The problem is too much time was wasted trying to prove he was a quarterback rather than have him on the field contributing where he was needed.

Yeah, and like Danny Kanell said "I have heard of a "utility guy" in baseball...but not in college football". I mean...what does that mean exactly? I think he touched the ball, what, once in the Clemson game?

He game in as a highly touted recruit. If he is so talented...does 1-2 touches a game suffice?

I don't know, maybe he is too banged up to help us much...

Here is where I make my "move your best athlete" to the defensive side of the ball pitch: Riley Dodge to either corner or safety. At least give him a look in the nickel. You won't have a defensive back more in tune with what a QB is looking for. .

What makes you think Riley can cover someone or even tackle? He probably hasen't done either of those since 6th grade. I highly doubt he's anywhere close to the DBs we already have.

If he really is to banged up, that's a shame.

I never was a fan of his as a QB because of his size. But, Eric Weddell played at about his size as a freshman, and helped Utah on both sides of the ball. Like Riley, Weddell played QB in high school. Granted, he also played defense, which Riley did not do. But, it's not that Riley didn't have the ability.

Here is where you've got to just be realistic. If the kid can make contact, move him to the defensive side of the ball. I can't imagine you'd find a better DB in the film room prepping than Riley.

But, I've wasted my time arguing it before. You've got to put guys where they can help early in their careers. Riley is smack in the middle of his. If he's physically able, I just wish they'd do it.

Yeah, and like Danny Kanell said "I have heard of a "utility guy" in baseball...but not in college football". I mean...what does that mean exactly? I think he touched the ball, what, once in the Clemson game?

He game in as a highly touted recruit. If he is so talented...does 1-2 touches a game suffice?

I don't know, maybe he is too banged up to help us much...

I don't want to belittle any of your points...but I'd say you could do better than to quote Danny Kanell to support your argument.

What makes you think Riley can cover someone or even tackle? He probably hasen't done either of those since 6th grade. I highly doubt he's anywhere close to the DBs we already have.

Well, he made a touchdown saving tackle last year against Arkansas State....

I'm just saying, good high school athletes, especially quarterbacks, are often moved to the defensive side of the ball in college. I think Riley would be fine. You've got to have good feet, balance, and agility to play corner. I think he has those things. You have to read a quarterback well to play safety or corner. I think he'd excel at that.

It's just a shame to have him on the sideline except for gimmicky plays. He's better than that.

Well, he made a touchdown saving tackle last year against Arkansas State....

I'm just saying, good high school athletes, especially quarterbacks, are often moved to the defensive side of the ball in college. I think Riley would be fine. You've got to have good feet, balance, and agility to play corner. I think he has those things. You have to read a quarterback well to play safety or corner. I think he'd excel at that.

It's just a shame to have him on the sideline except for gimmicky plays. He's better than that.

I agree with you. I feel that is where C Baine should be playing also. He was the QB at Lake Dallas and was a Duel Threat QB. He is bigger and faster than R Dodge but yet they choose to keep him as our emergency QB. We must win now. The staff must find away to get both of these guys on the field as often as they can. Put Baine in there as the wildcat and let him throw it to R Dodge ...now you have two threats on the field together.

Edited by saysojoe

I agree with you. I feel that is where C Baine should be playing also. He was the QB at Lake Dallas and was a Duel Threat QB. He is bigger and faster than R Dodge but yet they choose to keep him as our emergency QB. We must win now. The staff must find away to get both of these guys on the field as often as they can. Put Baine in there as the wildcat and let him throw it to R Dodge ...now you have two threats on the field together.

never happen saysojoe, and if baine is bigger and faster than dodge then ...... oh nevermind..... dodge apparently can not judge talent or we would not be in this embarrassing predicament. i am sure there are several players that could contribute to the betterment of this team but he is too stubborn (that may not be the right word) to consider.

• Downvote 1

Guys, there is no way in hell; Baine is faster than Riley and I am sure with his job definitely on the line: Todd is not using his best players because of a personal agenda.

I thought most of the fan base had moved on since Riley is no longer the starting QB. Riley will continue to be a great asset to the team and I hope Blaine never sees the field at QB in a competitive game because that would mean we are down to the fourth or fifth QB. Baine appears however to be a good athlete and hopefully they will find a way to get him on to the field.

Guys, there is no way in hell; Baine is faster than Riley and I am sure with his job definitely on the line: Todd is not using his best players because of a personal agenda.

Baine is faster, his 40 time is 4.47, Riley has ran slower offocial times 4.58 was his best. have you not been paying attention and seen baine run with the ball.... even if it against the water boy and ball boy. that is what i mean, ho wmany other players are not seeing the field to find out IF they can help. makes no sense

• Downvote 1

I thought most of the fan base had moved on since Riley is no longer the starting QB. Riley will continue to be a great asset to the team and I hope Blaine never sees the field at QB in a competitive game because that would mean we are down to the fourth or fifth QB. Baine appears however to be a good athlete and hopefully they will find a way to get him on to the field.

and Baine ran for nearly 3000 yards as a spread QB in 4A football for Lake Dallas, at least worth a shot to see what he can do on the field WHEREEVER, not necessarily at QB

I want to see Riley on the field on a regular basis, but no way in Hell would I want him as a return guy or as a DB. I liked a guy with similar size and speed named Zach Muzzy, but he had a body of steel compared to Riley's, and he went down for the count in short order. I would really prefer that he stick with playing at the slot to do his best to avoid more injury.