Origin Of The Name, "mean Green"

untcampbell

A buddy of mine is trying to research the origin of the term Mean Green, and is questioning the accuracy of the entry below. I know this topic has been discussed on the board before, buy can the NT historians on the board accurately enlighten?

GMG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_Green#Origin_of_the_name.2C_.E2.80.9CMean_Green.E2.80.9D

Origin of the name, “Mean Green”

The name “Mean Green,” still in use after 43 years, was adopted by fans and media in 1966 for a North Texas football defensive squad that finished the season second in the nation against the rush.[1] That school year, Joe Greene[2] was sophomore at North Texas, and played left tackle on the football team competed in track and field (shot put).

The nickname "Mean Joe Greene" caught-on during his first year with the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1969 when the fan base mistakenly assumed that, “Mean Green” (a nickname for defensive squad of his alma mater) was derived from a nickname they thought he had inherited while at North Texas. Nonetheless, the the athletic department, media, and fans loved the novelty of a young standout's surname being a homophone of the university's school color. The first known local media reference to the phrase “Mean Green” appeared in the Denton Record-Chronicle, November 20, 1966, Sect. 3 (Sports), col. 1, pg 1., It Was Perfect: 42 for 42, by Charles Clines. By 1968, “Mean Green” was on the back of shirts, buttons, bumper stickers, and the cover of the North Texas football football brochure. Even the band, in 1968, became identified as the “Mean Green Marching Machine.”[3]

On the NCAA video game there are random facts that come up on the load screen. I don't recall which year it was, but one of the facts was that during a game in which Joe Greene was playing, the wife of the AD or something stood up and yelled "way to go mean green" probably referring to a play that Greene made. I don't know if that is accurate or not, but it seems like a good story.

On the NCAA video game there are random facts that come up on the load screen. I don't recall which year it was, but one of the facts was that during a game in which Joe Greene was playing, the wife of the AD or something stood up and yelled "way to go mean green" probably referring to a play that Greene made. I don't know if that is accurate or not, but it seems like a good story.

This same story was in the North Texan that magically appeared in my mailbox a few years back.

http://www.meangreenmoniker.com/?page_id=24

Let me summarize

Joe Greene was on a very excellent defense starting about 1966. Sidney Sue Graham, the wife of then NT SID Fred Graham, started calling the DEFENSE the MEAN GREEN. She pestered her husband to use the name (which he thought was corny) until he eventually relented and started using the moniker in his press releases. The rest is history.....which most people find difficult to remember.

Edited by SilverEagle

A buddy of mine is trying to research the origin of the term Mean Green, and is questioning the accuracy of the entry below. I know this topic has been discussed on the board before, buy can the NT historians on the board accurately enlighten?

GMG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_Green#Origin_of_the_name.2C_.E2.80.9CMean_Green.E2.80.9D

Origin of the name, “Mean Green”

The name “Mean Green,” still in use after 43 years, was adopted by fans and media in 1966 for a North Texas football defensive squad that finished the season second in the nation against the rush.[1] That school year, Joe Greene[2] was sophomore at North Texas, and played left tackle on the football team competed in track and field (shot put).

The nickname "Mean Joe Greene" caught-on during his first year with the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1969 when the fan base mistakenly assumed that, “Mean Green” (a nickname for defensive squad of his alma mater) was derived from a nickname they thought he had inherited while at North Texas. Nonetheless, the the athletic department, media, and fans loved the novelty of a young standout's surname being a homophone of the university's school color. The first known local media reference to the phrase “Mean Green” appeared in the Denton Record-Chronicle, November 20, 1966, Sect. 3 (Sports), col. 1, pg 1., It Was Perfect: 42 for 42, by Charles Clines. By 1968, “Mean Green” was on the back of shirts, buttons, bumper stickers, and the cover of the North Texas football football brochure. Even the band, in 1968, became identified as the “Mean Green Marching Machine.”[3]

Scott, the second version in the "North Texan On Line" posted by Mean Green 93-98 is the correct version. Sidney Sue Smith Graham was the first to utter that phrase (and at least realize it). She tried to get her husband Fred, the SID, to use it referring to the defensive unit. Fred told her that it was too corny but later used it anyway.

I'm not totally sure that it was originally intended toward honoring Joe Greene, who came into prominence a little later. It could be substantiated by Sidney Sue who still lives in Denton, I believe. Sadly, Fred passed away a couple of years ago.

I still prefer to be the North Texas Eagles opposed to the North Texas Mean Green

Why? By having our nickname as the Mean Green it makes us very unique and recognizable. If we were just the Eagles we would just get lumped in with about 100 other schools and teams that use the Eagles as their mascot.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Now if we could just permanently adopt a color that represents MEAN GREEN! I'm so tired

of the current trend of light green. It's the green equivalent of Powder Blue which doesn't

really scream MEAN GREEN to me.

Yes, there was the lime green from the days of the Flying Worm (I'll never forget

the McDonalds on I35), but jeez that was the 70s and everything was hideous then.

Look at the green in the Eagle logo in at the top of this board. That's a good green.

We are not SLC and I don't care if the Dodge family has to buy new green clothes to go to our games.

We are the Mean Green Eagles!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

The story about Fred Graham and his wife is the one I have always heard.

Being there, in late sixties I can verify that the defense was known as the "Mean Green" and the only thing it had to do with Joe Greene was that he was a member of that unit. Joe did not become known as "Mean Joe Greene" until the pros.

I still prefer to be the North Texas Eagles opposed to the North Texas Mean Green

I see a lot of people disagree with you. When I was a student, we were referred to as the North Texas Eagles 95% of the time, but "Mean Green" was a well-known nickname. People are apparently ashamed to be the Eagles now because it's not "different" enough. So what? We were the Eagles long before we were the Mean Green. Personally, I'm proud to be a North Texas Eagle, and I'm proud to be North Texas Mean Green.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

I see a lot of people disagree with you. When I was a student, we were referred to as the North Texas Eagles 95% of the time, but "Mean Green" was a well-known nickname. People are apparently ashamed to be the Eagles now because it's not "different" enough. So what? We were the Eagles long before we were the Mean Green. Personally, I'm proud to be a North Texas Eagle, and I'm proud to be North Texas Mean Green.

I rarely ever agree with you on anything but you are spot on the way I feel about it. You really couldn't have said it any better and you are so right.

Edited by Green Mean