Houston It Is For 1St Game

NT03

I really like the home-and-home with Indiana. A school from a BCS AQ conferences that we have a chance against, and get to have them in our place. I would love more along those lines.

Couldn't agree more !

Might have to make that road trip to IU

Wow. I could not be more excited for 2011, the fact that we can now schedule opponents for home and home series like a big ten team (albeit they're not Ohio State) and a top 25 bound Houston team makes me wonder who else we can bring to Denton past 2011.

I firmly believe we'll sell out or come close to selling out every game in 2011 which will only lead to a whole new slew of positive things for our team and hopefully we'll already be talking about the full expansion to 50k after we start selling standing room only tickets and charging students.

The future is very, very bright and I could not be more happier/come down from this natural giddy high I am on.

Nitpicking I know, but the article says 2011 will be our second consecutive season of six home games. It will be the third. We played six last season in 2009 also.

Smarty-pantsiness aside, I'm thrilled by how the schedule shakes out. I don't want an SBC home game for the first week in 2011...some of our "supporters" might decide to stay home or in the parking lot.

• Upvote 2

I think it's great to have Indiana and Houston in home and gome series, but opening the new stadium with Houston is a terrible idea. I drink alot of green cool-aid, but the chances of us winning against a team that looks to be the next TCU, Boise, BYU, or Utah of college football, just don't seem good to me. I want to open the stadium with a win. Get the stadium built on time, and if we have to, schedule WKU for Sept. 3. I would think the Waters would rather us open this thing with a win.

If the Houston game ends up being the opener, and they kick the crap out of us on ESPN (2, U, Classic, or the Ocho), many of you who are happy now will be calling for someones head.

• Upvote 2

I said it before and I'll say it again, I'm not impressed with the home opener of UH. If we are going to get smoked by a team at least make it a name team. Not another non BCS level school, but at least we don't have to worry about their fans buying out the stadium.

I'd feel more comfortable If we had a pirate on our sidelines. Game vs Houston should be a guaranteed saleout

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 1

I said it before and I'll say it again, I'm not impressed with the home opener of UH. If we are going to get smoked by a team at least make it a name team. Not another non BCS level school, but at least we don't have to worry about their fans buying out the stadium.

If you'd like my iron is always available for you $100 bill needs.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

If the Houston game ends up being the opener, and they kick the crap out of us on ESPN (2, U, Classic, or the Ocho), many of you who are happy now will be calling for someones head.

Can we try not to crap our pants whenever we have an opportunity to register a meaningful win?

Houston will be breaking in a new QB and, possibly, a new head coach if Sumlin duplicates last year's success. Sound familiar??

If, as an institution, you are going to worry about playing a home game against a non-BCS opponent, just do yourself a favor and voluntarily drop to FCS.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Thank God our team won't go into that game under the assumption they are going to get "smoked." UH will be breaking in a new QB. If they do well again this year, they may be looking for a new head coach, too.

This is a good opportunity. We'll get press in Houston and in Dallas on our stadium and our facilities as well as our on-field performance. In one of those areas, we'll hit a home-run. The other remains to be seen but I'd be hesitant to raise the white flag this early in the game.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Can we try not to crap our pants whenever we have an opportunity to register a meaningful win?

Houston will be breaking in a new QB and, possibly, a new head coach if Sumlin duplicates last year's success. Sound familiar??

If, as an institution, you are going to worry about playing a home game against a non-BCS opponent, just do yourself a favor and voluntarily drop to FCS.

Ha, we had the same thoughts, same time. We should be friends.

Maybe it's that 54 - 2 game vs Tulsa or maybe that 77 - 20 drumming vs Rice that is still in some heads.

Do I worry , yes. Should I , no. We should raise our expectations , but just because we build a new stadium doesn't mean we will all of sudden get better on the field. See SMU

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Get the stadium built on time, and if we have to, schedule WKU for Sept. 3. I would think the Waters would rather us open this thing with a win.

The article implies we want NO home game on Sept. 3, to allow an extra week to finish the stadium. It says we might open on the road against an SBC opponent. I'd rather the UH game at home be the first of the season for us.

The article also says we might open with a conference foe on 9/3. The SBC schedule for 2011 is not finalized. Even RV makes mention in Harry's podcast that Troy or MUTS would be an exciting opener.

We asked the league office for no home game on 9/3...then again, I'm sure we ask not to play AT WKU every year in basketball too.

Houston is good, but they aren't unbeatable good. Good Lord....they beat OSU last year....and then got beat the next week by UTEP by 17 (as I recall). Houston lost 4 games last year. They also lost to ECU and UCF. And in the bowl game in Ft. Worth....Air Force beat them by 27.

I'm doing this from memory...so the score margins may not be accurate.

But to sit here acting like Houston, at home, is a "body bag" game is so "give up"...that it's pathetic.

• Upvote 4

I want to play Houston. I'm not saying that we shouldn't. I wish we played Houston every year. I'm from Houston. I'll make that trip every time. I'm saying we shouldn't make that game the first one in our new stadium. I'm not scared to play Houston. I'm being realistic. We've won five games in three years. A new stadium isn't going to change that over night. If we have another bad season, Houston is going to embarrass us. I don't want my first memories of a game in the new stadium to be a disaster like the Tulsa or the last Rice game.

Based on our recent performance, the most likely opportunity opening against Houston presents is receiving a beat down as we open the new stadium on national T.V.

No thanks.

We play WKU at home in 2011. Finish the stadium on time and move the WKU game to Sept. 3. If we don't, odds are we will regret it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

IF anybody should be scared it should be Houston. Lance Dunbar will be a Senior and one of the nation's best RB's and they have a pathetic defense, a new QB, and possibly a new coach. We have nothing to lose assuming we can score some points and they don't kill our defense....

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Houston is a good opener. We have wanted these types of in-state games, plus there are many variables on both teams that makes the outcome difficult to call.

The Indiana home and home series is also a winner and will be sure to bring a good crowd to Denton. For those with a penchant for trivia, Indiana and North Texas annually vie for the largest music school in the US. After building the music program at North Texas, the dean (Wilford Bain) then went to Indiana and did the same thing there.

Things are looking up!

• Upvote 1

I agree with SUMG. Houston is not some invincible team, and certainly not the next "up and coming Boise State". Their QB will be gone and the coach could be history as well. We're 1-1 against Houston, so at worst there's a 50-50 chance we can take them in Denton.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1