New Traditions

MCMLXXX

With the opening of the new stadium should we start any new traditions? I remember when Dennis Parker came he had a metal eagle nest built and placed at Fouts Field and in it he put eggs with scores from big victories painted on them. The idea was abandoned as soon as he left. Any ideas?

We don't need any new traditions. We have enough already. We just need people to recognize and respect the ones we already have.

Good point. We have a great tradition of... lets see... screaming 'North... Texas' at random times until it finally just dies off. Firing an annoying cannon (even after a loss). Oh, and we've stolen traditions from other schools by making up stories of how we 'earned' them somehow.

You're right, we just need to recognize the great traditions already in place.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 8

Good point. We have a great tradition of... lets see... screaming 'North... Texas' at random times until it finally just dies off. Firing an annoying cannon (even after a loss). Oh, and we've stolen traditions from other schools by making up stories of how we 'earned' them somehow.

This post is a fine example of another of NT's traditions. Those that find something wrong with everything NT does or does not do.

• Upvote 5

Thank you for proving my point

UNT Traditions

• Upvote 1

With the opening of the new stadium should we start any new traditions? I remember when Dennis Parker came he had a metal eagle nest built and placed at Fouts Field and in it he put eggs with scores from big victories painted on them. The idea was abandoned as soon as he left. Any ideas?

This is a good idea, but knowing us, we would more than likely start a tradition of hating the (new) tradition that starts when the new stadium is built.

Fact

I completely agree. Our "traditions" are terrible and the only people that think they are good have probably never been to a large school with real traditions to witness how great they can be. You also forgot about the one of parking the old car on the track...what are we going to do about that one when we don't have a track anymore? I guess we can just park it in the parking lot with the rest of the cars. Or what about the tradition of leaving at half time or not even coming into the games? Clearly we need to just get more people to adhere to these.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

.....and be the keepers of the ones already in place.

AND non-North Texas graduates, and/or employees of the school, should not be allowed to make decisions about what are (or are not) North Texas traditions.

So according to you, people like myself who never attended UNT and my wife who only worked there for a short time should have no say. I suppose you think we should just cancel our season tickets too right? We need more people in the community to support the athletic programs and we go to more basketball games than most students... Edited by Army of Dad
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

So according to you, people like myself who never attended UNT and my wife who only worked there for a short time should have no say. I suppose you think we should just cancel our season tickets too right? We need more people in the community to support the athletic programs and we go to more basketball games than most students...

You have the right to have use of the seats that you purchased, and pull for NT if you choose. But I don't believe that you should be allowed to be a decision maker when it comes to traditions at North Texas.

• Upvote 2

This post is a fine example of another of NT's traditions. Those that find something wrong with everything NT does or does not do.

Lifer...I couldn't have said it better if I had posted it myself. Thanks.

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You have the right to have use of the seats that you purchased, and pull for NT if you choose. But I don't believe that you should be allowed to be a decision maker when it comes to traditions at North Texas.

Traditions are made by the fans, be those fans students, faculty, or local supporters. The students should make up the majority of that group because the should be the most fervent supporters. However we don't need to be turning people away from the program they support because they aren't "fan enough" or aren't a student. We have been talking about getting more community support for years and that attitude is not helpful.

Besides, traditions only become traditions if they are kept and followed. If the fans don't like the tradition then they won't follow them and they don't become traditions in the first place...

Edited by hickoryhouse
  • Upvote 2

Silver, I really not sure you actually believe this. All fans, students, faculty, staff, alumni, etc. helped to create the traditions that I witnessed and have enjoyed by having graduated from three different universities and having attended a fourth. Several schools I know have had BIG TIME traditions started by a member of the coaching staff, some have had faculty/staff input and, yes, some were 100% student driven. But, anyone who supports the Mean Green gets a hand in creating and maintaining traditions. Many traditions would die away if it were not for the fans (grads or not) who support "their" universities win, lose or draw.

I, for one, am plenty happy to have folks like Army of Dad and Army of Mom who are not grads, but who support the Mean Green. In fact, one of the biggest local supports of the Mean Green attended, but never graduated from UNT. Should he not be involved in setting and maintaining traditions for the Mean Green?

Also, many traditions just develop over time. They are not planned by anyone. While we often disagree on politics, we seldom disagree on support for the Mean Green. On this one, we will just have to "agree to disagree".

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

i actually think it's the perfect time to define the traditions that are currently in place. we're trying to do more than build a stadium, we're hoping the stadium will build a fan base. part of that is not only joining in on a random chant, but understanding it. it's not simply being startled by a cannon firing off, it's knowing the history of that cannon. it's not enjoying a fireworks show after a victory, it's knowing that there won't be one if we lose.

You also forgot about the one of parking the old car on the track...what are we going to do about that one when we don't have a track anymore? I guess we can just park it in the parking lot with the rest of the cars.

I did forget about the car. Thanks for reminding me of that joke.

In all seriousness though, the 2011 home opener is going to no doubt be a showcase for what this program can eventually be. We will have so many more fans at that game than will normally come. So lets scrap the junior high stuff we've been known to partake in and make that opener really feel like a college game.

I completely agree. Our "traditions" are terrible and the only people that think they are good have probably never been to a large school with real traditions to witness how great they can be.

Please define what a "real" tradition is. What "large" schools are you referring to?