Dominos Starting To Fall ?

MeanGreen61

TCU is not going to get a Big 12 invite. The Big 12 does'nt want or need a small private school, even if they are winning. TCU is alot like Houston, the Big 12 teams don't want to fight TCU for the top DFW recruits.

The X factor, of course, is politics. Remember, the reason Baylor got into the Big 12 in the first place was political.

C-USA commish Britton Banowsky is an OU grad who lives in Dallas and is a member of the church of Christ. He worked in the Big 12 legal office for awhile back in the day. His dad, William, was at one time OU's president. Just by happenstance, SMU's president, Gerald Turner, is also a church of Christ boy.

It may be a long shot for SMU, but don't underestimate the power of long time family/political ties. It would really sting, but the ingredients for an Ann Richards-style political play are there for SMU. And, SMU has shown it will throw money to get marquee coaching in place.

The X factor, of course, is politics. Remember, the reason Baylor got into the Big 12 in the first place was political.

C-USA commish Britton Banowsky is an OU grad who lives in Dallas and is a member of the church of Christ. He worked in the Big 12 legal office for awhile back in the day. His dad, William, was at one time OU's president. Just by happenstance, SMU's president, Gerald Turner, is also a church of Christ boy.

It may be a long shot for SMU, but don't underestimate the power of long time family/political ties. It would really sting, but the ingredients for an Ann Richards-style political play are there for SMU. And, SMU has shown it will throw money to get marquee coaching in place.

The presidents vote on membership and it is very doubtful that SMU would be considered an attractive candidate. SMU doesn't have near the clout that Baylor did when the Big XII was formed.

BYU would go to the big 12. They need a northern team and what better competitive team fits the bill? AK would be stupid to leave the SEC. Co St isn't going anywhere because they haven't proven themselves.

Sadly all this moving around (IMO) has no affect on UNT going anywhere. I think we are in a good position with the building of a stadium but I seriously doubt that CUSA wants another Texas team in their conference. If UTEP gets plucked then we might be a different story.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

SMU has also shown they will throw out money to buy marquee players too, which is why I can't see the other Texas schools wanting them anywhere near the Big 12.

• Upvote 1

I wish we could just revive the old SWC and be done with it. NT, smu, Houston, Rice, Tulsa, LA Tech, LaLa, El Paso, NMSU, Tulane, Arky State, and on a long shot, TCU. If no TCU, we could eliminate two of the remaining eleven and just go with nine for now. It would be advantageous to every one of those schools with increased revenues, reduced expenses, improved rivalries, and very possibly a much better conference down the road than they now have in USA. Sure smu wants to avoid elevating us, but I think it would end up paying off for them down the road.

I wish we could just revive the old SWC and be done with it. NT, smu, Houston, Rice, Tulsa, LA Tech, LaLa, El Paso, NMSU, Tulane, Arky State, and on a long shot, TCU. If no TCU, we could eliminate two of the remaining eleven and just go with nine for now. It would be advantageous to every one of those schools with increased revenues, reduced expenses, improved rivalries, and very possibly a much better conference down the road than they now have in USA. Sure smu wants to avoid elevating us, but I think it would end up paying off for them down the road.

Oh, and I left out S. Miss. as another good prospect to be in the mix. You could have an eastern division that stretches from Tulsa to Jonesboro down to Hattiesburg, and a western division that is basically the DFW area, Houston, and the El Paso area. Other than Memphis in basketball, USA just doesn't impress me that much anymore.

Edited by foutsrouts

Why exactly would the MWC want UTEP? I like to see the minerswin, but lets be honest, what do they bring to the table? I dont think they've been lighting the playing field up recently. NT on the other hand is an emerging basketball power and would compete well in the MWC. We have a brand new football stadium on the way. We would be a travel partner for TCU. NT and TCU in the MWC would give the MWC a stranglehold on the DFW market, possibly rivaling the Big 12's. Plus, if the MWC added a few teams, Colorado being one of them, they could become a BcS conference within a few years.

Why exactly would the MWC want UTEP? I like to see the minerswin, but lets be honest, what do they bring to the table?

Winning basketball, an actual stranglehold over their media market, and the right time zone.

NT and TCU in the MWC would give the MWC a stranglehold on the DFW market, possibly rivaling the Big 12's.

What are you smoking?

• Upvote 2

Why exactly would the MWC want UTEP? I like to see the minerswin, but lets be honest, what do they bring to the table? I dont think they've been lighting the playing field up recently. NT on the other hand is an emerging basketball power and would compete well in the MWC. We have a brand new football stadium on the way. We would be a travel partner for TCU. NT and TCU in the MWC would give the MWC a stranglehold on the DFW market, possibly rivaling the Big 12's. Plus, if the MWC added a few teams, Colorado being one of them, they could become a BcS conference within a few years.

A MWC membership sure would be a nice stepping stone for us to get to the Big 12 someday, but I'm afraid there are too many people in line ahead of us at this point. I also don't see a snowball's chance of Colorado turning down the PAC 10 (or Big 12) for the MWC. UTEP's main attraction is location and a very large fanbase, and I can see them in the MWC. If Dodgeball had been a roaring success right off the bat, and we had pulled off an NCAA upset or two along with a new baseball stadium, we would be in a much more marketable position. Because of the fact that we have never been in a quality football conference and that some people don't respect our regional name (as crazy as that is), I'm afraid that we are pretty much going to be relegated to the SBC, USA, or a new regional SWC version for the foreseeable future. Hope people wake up and go with the SWC option.

and that some people don't respect our regional name (as crazy as that is)

Not really an issue. University of South Florida, University of Southern California, University of Southern Mississippi, University of Central Florida, etc etc.

Directional naming isn't really that much (any?) of a stigma anymore. What works against us is our lack of football success, perception of poor academics (eg. Tier 4), lack of community support, no baseball team, sparse number of businesses and a campus perimeter that looks just awful, and probably a lot more. We have a lot of work to do to be in consideration for a power conference. I felt like we were on the right road until Dr. B was fired. Now I'm not sure what our timetable is for a lot of these things.

• Upvote 1

What works against us is our lack of football success, perception of poor academics (eg. Tier 4), lack of community support, no baseball team, sparse number of businesses and a campus perimeter that looks just awful, and probably a lot more. We have a lot of work to do to be in consideration for a power conference. I felt like we were on the right road until Dr. B was fired. Now I'm not sure what our timetable is for a lot of these things.

Agree with much of the above. UNT does have a major strength in location: geographically, major airport, weather, metro population, media market, hot recruiting territory. Also, being a very large and growing state school helps. I wish the new football facility was already in use. Poor recent football results will hurt our moveup odds but the stadium will be a great selling point for the program.

Not really an issue. University of South Florida, University of Southern California, University of Southern Mississippi, University of Central Florida, etc etc.

Directional naming isn't really that much (any?) of a stigma anymore. What works against us is our lack of football success, perception of poor academics (eg. Tier 4), lack of community support, no baseball team, sparse number of businesses and a campus perimeter that looks just awful, and probably a lot more. We have a lot of work to do to be in consideration for a power conference. I felt like we were on the right road until Dr. B was fired. Now I'm not sure what our timetable is for a lot of these things.

I don't think it is a primary factor, but I still hear the name issue brought up by more than a few non-NT people. Especially among old SWC types from Texas who ignorantly still connect the name to the old West Texas/East Texas/North Texas Teacher's College thing. It's really a moot issue at this point, but I can imagine that the name "Texas State" would create a whole different image in people's minds over time. Hope the stigma is going away with the younger generation, because I suspect our name is here to stay.

lets think outside the box just for fun. assuming biger is better because of tv revenue, 1] big 10 adds rukers,n.dame,missouri,,pitt, and syracuse to go to 16 schools 2] sec adds texas, texas a&m, fla.st.' and miami to go to 16 schools 3]remaining 10 acc and 5 football playing big east schools merg., plus cfu, to go to 16 schools 4] pac adds utah and colorado to go to 12 5] remaining 8 big 12 and 8 remaining m. west schools merge to go to 16 schools 6] that leaves mac,wac, sunbelt, and cusa still looking at each other.look at the tv market sec and big east pick up. just a thought.

UTEP is better than us in football & basketball. They are part of the UT system, $. Their stadium is already better than what ours will be AND hosts a bowl game that's been around for a while. I'm sure UTEP commands more viewers in their media market than we do with ours. In what way is UNT more attractive than UTEP?

Emerging basketball power? Let's take it one step at a time and continue our 20 win seasons. We're on the way up, but don't lose sight that we've yet to have a quality OOC W under JJ.

If CU moves, it's only to the Pac10.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As long as we are talking about adding a baseball (100,000% for this, I would try to walk on) die to Title XI we would need to add a girl's sport. I think a gymnastics team would be a wonderful addition to UNT Athletics. Do you know how many Division I girls gymnastics teams there are in Texas? Zero. In fact the only school with any gymnastics program is DII TWU (who has won national championships). If you think about the great Olympic gymnasts in the past Summer Games most are from WOGA in Plano. Gold medalists Nastia Liukin and Carly Patterson were both from the North Texas area and tons of North Texas gymnasts go all across the country for the chance to compete in college (my sister hi tailed it to Alaska). If we the athletic department is looking to add a new sport that has the potential to do well on a national scale I think the conversation should begin and end with women's gymnastics.

I know this comment should probably be in a different thread, but this way it may actually get read.

And... ummmm.... gymnastics chicks are hot and we need more hot chicks!

/man card saved

Edited by MEANGREENMAN!
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

All good points about why we would be attractive to other conferences (media market, recruiting base, ect) but the reason why we are not being courted right now is because we do not make use of these things.

We have a great media market, but how often do you hear about us on the radio? On TV? How about seeing a regular season basketball game on a local channel (other than UNT's station)? We do not use our market that is available.

Since we do not use our market, no big donors or businesses are going to want to sponsor us because they will not get any worth while advertising for their money. If UNT is not all over the local media markets, then how can we expect high caliber recruits, who have grown up hearing all about UT, A&M and now TCU, to want to come to UNT? Everyone it tickled pink when they see a 30 second spot on the local news about UNT but I say that should be considered an insult. You want to be in a power conference? Go down to Austin or College Station and watch their local TV, see how often you see any new not related to their universities or teams. Its a total different world and that is what we need to strive for.

I know that the front office is trying, I do, and I also know that the rest of the campus still has the mentality that athletics are separate from academics and their programs. UNT as a whole does not realize that the university encompasses everything and that all parts should support each other. If you dont believe me, then go talk to some of the heads of the colleges or depts. All they care about is their small little corner which they have direct control over.

Think of it this way, you (future conference) are looking at buy 2 cars. One (UNT) is a 1969 Camaro SS, but it is rusted out and missing parts. The owner says that if you buy it they will try to replace some of what is missing. Then the other (UTEP, just for example) is a 2008 Chevy Malibu, great condition, has everything you need, will be able to be used to pick up other people immediately and has low miles. Which are you going to buy? Yes the Camaro has the potential but it will cost the buyer so much time and money that the investment is not worth it.

Unless these things change we will NEVER be in a power conference. NEVER. Period.

Sorry for the rant guys, but I bleed my green with a passion and I just want to see UNT grow. B)

• Upvote 6

With the State of Texas trying to bring more universities up to Tier 1 status, Houston and North Texas need to be in BCS conferences. The only way this will happen is with politcal pull. NT has never seemed to have much in the way of political power but there may be enough legislators that can get the big picture. There is no reason UH and NT shouldn't be fine in the Big XII. The only difference in TT (of pre Big XII days) and NT or UH now is politics. What does Baylor contribute to the Big XII??? Ann Richards made people see it her way.

Edited by ShopMeanGreen

Baylor has some pretty good teams in just about all sports but football. Not sure if you saw, but both of their basketball teams made deep runs this past March.

Yea kinda noticed that. I stand by the statement that without Ann Richards Baylor would be a non player. Have you seen any Rice Baseball...not enough to save them.