New Possibilty For The Last Scholarship?

Army of Dad

Would he b eligible to play immediately?

I seem to recall hearing that all transfers from UNO would be eligible to play immediately.

The NCAA confirms that here.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/ncaa/ncaa/legislation+and+governance/committees/division+i/saac/di+saac+faq+transfer+rules

Q: If my coach leaves, can I transfer and immediately be eligible?

No. Contrary to popular belief, the departure of a coaching staff member does not grant a student-athlete relief from the residence requirement on transferring.

However, there is a transfer exception for student-athletes transferring from institutions that discontinue a sport, never sponsored the sport while the student-athlete was in attendance, or reclassified the sport from NCAA Division I to Division III.

There also are other transfer exceptions (e.g., nonrecruited student exception, return to original institution without participation exception, two-year nonparticipation exception, military service/church mission exception, etc.) that student-athletes may qualify for and should consult their institution's compliance coordinator or call the NCAA academic and membership affairs staff for more information.

• Upvote 1

Everybody keeps saying "last scholarship".

That may not exactly be the case. There is one player on the team that I have heard is eligible for a full ride academic scholarship. This might not bind that player to basketball as playing would be his option, but this would free up another basketball scholarship.

Will this happen, I don't know. Collin Mangrum was almost certainly eligible for an academic scholarship and I don't think that angle was ever pursued.

Adding Carmouche makes me very very happy.

Very glad to see that I'm not the only one...the more this has sunk in the more I love it.

Is Carmouche Babb or Morgan or Henderson? By no means. Is Carmouche eligible to contribute to what should be the best team in UNT history? Absolutely. Does he make next year's team considerably better? No doubt.

I've seen complaints over Carmouche's numbers...his efficiency was lacking, but again, he is a sophomore guard who went into the season expecting to be VERY second fiddle to one of the better scorers in the conference. When Humphrey was hurt Carmouche was pressed into duty ahead of schedule and had to try and essentially carry a bad team.

But you need numbers. Ok. 12.6ppg, 4.8 rpg, 2.1 apg. Carmouche had 4 20 point scoring games...one was against ULM...one was at Georgia...two were against Western Kentucky, one at the SBC tourney, the other at Diddle. He finished 18th in the conference in scoring. He finished 22nd in the conference in rebounding...as a 6'2" guard. He finished 6th in the conference in steals.

The idea of tucking away a transfer like Babb is intriguing...but next year is never guaranteed success. Carmouche represents a huge insurance policy on DJ and Josh's health, both legitimate question marks, at the point...and bench scoring in case R.J. takes time to adjust or Alzee fails to make a significant step forward. Plus he is still here in 2011-12 after this senior class graduates.

This is a great signing.

• Upvote 1

But you need numbers. Ok. 12.6ppg, 4.8 rpg, 2.1 apg. Carmouche had 4 20 point scoring games...one was against ULM...one was at Georgia...two were against Western Kentucky, one at the SBC tourney, the other at Diddle. He finished 18th in the conference in scoring. He finished 22nd in the conference in rebounding...as a 6'2" guard. He finished 6th in the conference in steals.

Here are some more numbers. He shot .397 from the field and an ugly .613 from the line.

I am not excited about this potential signing and I hope he is a back up plan if Coach Jones can't get a bigger fish.

"should be the best team in UNT history?"

Don't see anyone on this team starting on the 1975-1976 Team.

But did they play against the black man?

Seriously...you're right..I misspoke. I wasn't around to see such teams...and I am admittedly not too knowledgeable on the history. However, I will contend that a team returning over 80% of its scoring from only its third NCAA tourney squad would have to rank rather high on the all time list.

Here are some more numbers. He shot .397 from the field and an ugly .613 from the line.

I am not excited about this potential signing and I hope he is a back up plan if Coach Jones can't get a bigger fish.

The FG percentage was explained in the paragraph above the one you cherry picked. No question the FT percentage needs to improve.

I do not know anything about this player other than his ESPN stats and do not remember him from when we played UNO, but with that said, I do not understand why everyone is drooling over him. The stats are nothing special. Are the stats misleading?

I do not know anything about this player other than his ESPN stats and do not remember him from when we played UNO, but with that said, I do not understand why everyone is drooling over him. The stats are nothing special. Are the stats misleading?

You're right. A double figures scoring sophomore 6'2" guard who pulls 5 boards a game against division 1 competition has no place on this team.

You're right. A double figures scoring sophomore 6'2" guard who pulls 5 boards a game against division 1 competition has no place on this team.

I don't get how people keep claiming to not remember him from our encounters with UNO. I distinctly remember telling CMJ I'd love to have him here once UNO disappears during one of the game chats.

Edited by Green P1

Carmouche's numbers as a sophomore: 33.5mpg, 12.6ppg, 4.8rpg, 2.1apg, 2.8tpg, 1.4spg, 39.7%FG, 35.2% 3pt, 61.3%FT

Josh White's numbers as a sophomore: 33.6mpg, 11.3ppg, 2.9rpg, 2.6apg, 1.7tpg, 0.5spg, 39.1%FG, 30.5% 3pt, 90.6%FT

OK. Alright. Settle down. :D Just trying to find out more about him. Given the level of talent on the team, I just wasn't blown away by his numbers... and Josh had an off year due to that hand injury for most of the season... not a fair comparison. Nonetheless, he might be a great addition to the team.

@ laurie

Compared to a 6'5" sophomore guard who scored just under double digits in the Big Ten Carmouche just isn't going to excite most people.

Agreed...but said 6'5" guard is A. going to a Big 12 school, and B. would've had to sit out next season.

Mark this down: Babb will end up at Baylor or Kansas State. Morgan will end up at a mediocre power conference school (like maybe LSU where he can regret his decision for the next two seasons when UNT runs through) or playing professionally in Europe. Henderson will go JUCO where he can take 45% of his teams shots, drop 30 a night and get picked up by a power conference school.

h

Agreed...but said 6'5" guard is A. going to a Big 12 school, and B. would've had to sit out next season.

Mark this down: Babb will end up at Baylor or Kansas State. Morgan will end up at a mediocre power conference school (like maybe LSU where he can regret his decision for the next two seasons when UNT runs through) or playing professionally in Europe. Henderson will go JUCO where he can take 45% of his teams shots, drop 30 a night and get picked up by a power conference school.

But some people said they were all coming here!!!:blowup:

@ laurie

Compared to a 6'5" sophomore guard who scored just under double digits in the Big Ten Carmouche just isn't going to excite most people.

Only problem there is not one bit of evidence that Babb ever had NT on his radar. Just because a player is from the area does not mean that NT has a prayer of signing them. A lot of wishful thinking abundant on this board, but as far as I know there has been no interest at all from Babb, Morgan, or the player from Utah in NT. Carmouche is a good player and NT could do a lot worse than sign him. He is a proven upper Belt level player with two years to play. I think if he signs he will be instantly the favorite to start at the wing with Thompson.

JJ has done a great job, moving this program forward; but NT is not going to get too many highly ranked recruits with the support that he has gotten at NT. A Belt school with a very generously counted average attendance of 2,600 for a program that has two NCAA tournament appearances and four 20+ seasons is not going to excite many four star recruits.

• Upvote 4