Thurs. 2/25 - Ul-L

KRAM1

OK, final home game this Thursday evening with UNT on a roll and looking good for the tournament. But, this game will be the 20th win for the team, so....what is going on around campus to publicize the game and get a big turnout? The guys on this team have played some great ball this season and seem to be peaking at just the right time. It would be great to have the season's biggest attendance to go along with the 20th win. I assume this will be "Senior Night" as well...Antwone, Dom, Eric...have I missed any seniors?

Anyone know of any plans to get the alums and "townies" out such as the "school kids" at last Saturday's game?

How about the other teams (football, soccer, softball, tennis, swimming, golf, volleyball, etc., etc.) showing up (with some of their coaches) to support the team and seniors as they try to win number 20???

Come on...what can we do to help the turnout Thursday???

OK, my wife will be out of town...so I have an extra ticket...as is usually the case...you can sit elsewhere if you please once the game gets going so if you need or want a ticket I have an extra...happy to share...if no one steps up, I'll have them scan it in when I get to the game so it will count as a rear in the seats, but would be more happy if someone could use it...first come first serve...send me a PM and we'll figure out how to get it to you...

GO MEAN GREEN!!!! NUMBER 20!!!!!! Congratulations Seniors and "thanks for the memories"!

• Upvote 1

When OSU came to town a couple of years ago, I printed maybe 30 flyers that I made and taped them to doors around campus. I consider that the reason why we had such good attendance. People notice flyers posted right in front of their face, little signs at shin-level don't tend to catch the average person's attention

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Great ideas all. I really hope people turn out to help "reward" this team for the effort they have made this year and to thank our seniors. I find it hard to believe that "other" athletes, knowing what it takes to play in college, do not show up and support their fellow athletes...especially on senior night.

Oh, well, good ideas posted here...keep 'em coming. I really hope we have the largest crowd of the season. Let's get behind the team and do all we can to drive attendance for Thursday night's game...can we get a 5000 minimum turnout in the Super Pit?????

Yes, we can...GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!!

I heard from a friend that the University scheduled Cornell West as a guest lecturer the same time as the game. Apparently the auditorium building (1500 seats) is almost sold out. Not sure the two events pull from the same group of people, but the university really seems to drop the ball scheduling sometimes, although this one may have not been avoidable. Anyways, just keep spreading the word, and maybe some of those 1500 will come to the game!!!

OK, final home game this Thursday evening with UNT on a roll and looking good for the tournament. But, this game will be the 20th win for the team, so....what is going on around campus to publicize the game and get a big turnout? The guys on this team have played some great ball this season and seem to be peaking at just the right time. It would be great to have the season's biggest attendance to go along with the 20th win. I assume this will be "Senior Night" as well...Antwone, Dom, Eric...have I missed any seniors?

Anyone know of any plans to get the alums and "townies" out such as the "school kids" at last Saturday's game?

How about the other teams (football, soccer, softball, tennis, swimming, golf, volleyball, etc., etc.) showing up (with some of their coaches) to support the team and seniors as they try to win number 20???

Come on...what can we do to help the turnout Thursday???

OK, my wife will be out of town...so I have an extra ticket...as is usually the case...you can sit elsewhere if you please once the game gets going so if you need or want a ticket I have an extra...happy to share...if no one steps up, I'll have them scan it in when I get to the game so it will count as a rear in the seats, but would be more happy if someone could use it...first come first serve...send me a PM and we'll figure out how to get it to you...

GO MEAN GREEN!!!! NUMBER 20!!!!!! Congratulations Seniors and "thanks for the memories"!

This definitely needs to be a "Pack the Pit" promotion just like that of old. UNT Athletics needs to coordinate a large scale effort. I'm not seeing it. I am talking it up to coworkers wherever I can.

One tool that doesn't seem to be used very effectively is facebook. There needs to be an event set up to spread around the importance of this game and why people should go. If someone creates one we all need to add all of our friends and encourage them to add their friends. I would do it myself but I am not very good at effectively conveying a concise, effective message. Can somebody get on this?

I walked on campus today, and didnt see anything to promote the BBall game,

except old posters for previous games.

This is a huge game, us alumni will have to get the word out.

GO GREEN

All the promotional funds are being used on the UNT-Dallas-Jackson campus.

Good things

But I will be driving up after work.

I sent this to the Daily:

The North Texas men’s basketball team is on a roll. The Mean Green have won six in a row, 8 of their last 9 games, and currently sit atop the Sun Belt West division. The team is tied for the #1 seed heading into the last two games of the season. Finishing the year as regular season champions will guarantee them a spot in the NIT tournament no matter how the conference championship shakes out. Winning the last two games of the season and the conference tournament will mean a season record of 24-8 and a spot in the NCAA basketball tournament for the 2nd time in 4 years.

North Texas is also on the cusp of its 4th straight 20+ win season. A 20-win season is always the benchmark of a good team, and North Texas is about to make it four in a row. Head coach Johnny Jones was granted a contract extension Saturday night, ensuring the architect of this successful run will be around at least for a few more years.

But, geez… you wouldn’t know the Mean Green were enjoying such success in a marquee college sport by the attendance of the students. For Saturday’s penultimate home game, I counted maybe 200 students in attendance, and most of them sat on their butts for the entire game. There were more elementary school students in attendance than UNT students, and they had to be herded onto buses to make the trip to the Super Pit. And quite frankly, I am puzzled by the students of North Texas for practically ignoring the tremendous achievement of Johnny Jones and the Mean Green basketball team. I don’t understand it. I read a Facebook comment the other night that 20 wins in a season is “all right” for North Texas, but wasn’t a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Unbelievable.

Let’s set the record straight. Four straight 20-win seasons is not extremely rare, but it is a significant accomplishment for any team. Doing it for 4 straight years places North Texas in great company. Kansas State is about to have their first 4-year run of 20-win seasons. Famed head coach Chuck Daly did it just once.

In order for North Texas to make the move to a more prestigious conference, we need to do more than just win on the field or on the court. We need to win it in the stands as well. Fan attendance is a critical factor when conference commissioners look at potential schools to extend an invitation. The pieces are falling into place for North Texas athletics. The new athletic fee will generate desperately needed funding for all sports, the football stadium is 16 months from opening, and the athletic village when finished will be the envy of many universities. We need the students to start honoring the hard work and achievement of all the people who have worked hard to make this happen. So I challenge the students of North Texas to turn out this Thursday night for the final home game. Stand up, be loud, and send UNT into the tournament with the #1 seed and the momentum to win the Sun Belt Championship.

• Upvote 5

Great job Flyer and Bostonsports....now, let's hope the word gets out. Simply amazing to me that a bunch of GMG.com posters are the ones promoting a big turnout for JJ and Co.'s 20th win night and SENIOR NIGHT. Just where in the heck is the athletic dept's. promotions staff in this? Again, i ask, does UNT athletics HAVE a promotions staff? If senior night and a win 20 night cannot elicit some sort of effort to "Pack the Pit", I really don't know what does.

SO, if the ath. dept. is going to sit on their hands for this one, let's do our part to support the Mean Green. Should be a great time at the Pit Thursday as we cheer the team on to number 20 and on to Hot Springs!

GO MEAN GREEN! See you at the Super Pit for Thursday's action.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just where in the heck is the athletic dept's. promotions staff in this? Again, i ask, does UNT athletics HAVE a promotions staff? If senior night and a win 20 night cannot elicit some sort of effort to "Pack the Pit", I really don't know what does.

SO, if the ath. dept. is going to sit on their hands for this one, let's do our part to support the Mean Green.

You did see the full section (and more) of elementary kids and their families on Saturday, right?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I would think spending the money to promote the games tomorrow and Thursday would be better than early in the week.

If I saw a flier on Monday for a Thursday game I might say, "well now, that's a ways away. I'll think on it." But if on Thursday I saw a massive influx of marketing materials and discovered it was in fact that very evening I'd say to myself, "How timely and relevant, that's maybe something I need to be a part of."

• Upvote 2

If I saw a flier on Monday for a Thursday game I might say, "well now, that's a ways away. I'll think on it." But if on Thursday I saw a massive influx of marketing materials and discovered it was in fact that very evening I'd say to myself, "How timely and relevant, that's maybe something I need to be a part of."

Reminds me of the time I stepped on a nail and said "Fiddle-dee-dee... That will require a tetanus shot."

I would think spending the money to promote the games tomorrow and Thursday would be better than early in the week.

This was a very enjoyable post.

Or, if you don't see any kind of reminder until the day prior or the day of... you think, "What? I would have thought about going to this game if I knew about it sooner. Since I didn't know about it because I'm not an ardent follower, I entered a dominoes tournament at the VFW post yesterday. Darn!"

I think a healthy mix of both would be best, but I've heard we're operating on a shoestring budget in the Athletic Dept.

You did see the full section (and more) of elementary kids and their families on Saturday, right?

Yep, I was there...nice to see them. Does that mean one nice event promo a season is the standard for UNT? There have been " kid basketball jersey" nights as well...I am talking about doing something to get the students to turn out for this one...including the rest of the UNT athletes, frats and sororities, residence halls, etc., etc.

Look, I do not mean to jump on anyone in the dept. as I am pretty darn sure they work hard and earn the pay they get. However, being a grad from three universities I get to easily compare what "my schools" are doing to promote their teams and drive attendance. At this point the comparison just "ain't very pretty"...that's all. I also realize this stuff isn't easy, but, then again, that's what folks get paid to do, right? I just wonder if there is really a focus on promotions at UNT or are our promo folks getting pulled in twenty different directions doing stuff not very related to promotions and are they getting the support they need from the rest of the dept.?

When I see the stuff coming from my other two universities, I just have to wonder. This game should be a promo staff's "dream"...team is winning (it could be #20), it's senior night, the conference tournament is just a few days away, it isn't "exam time", it isn't a Saturday "date night", etc., etc.

OK, off the soap box..I am simply very proud of this team and I think the Super Pit should be full for Thursday's game. Why not?????

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I also realize this stuff isn't easy, but, then again, that's what folks get paid to do, right? I just wonder if there is really a focus on promotions at UNT or are our promo folks getting pulled in twenty different directions doing stuff not very related to promotions and are they getting the support they need from the rest of the dept.?

When I see the stuff coming from my other two universities, I just have to wonder. This game should be a promo staff's "dream"...team is winning (it could be #20), it's senior night, the conference tournament is just a few days away, it isn't "exam time", it isn't a Saturday "date night", etc., etc.

OK, off the soap box..I am simply very proud of this team and I think the Super Pit should be full for Thursday's game. Why not?????

GO MEAN GREEN!

a promotions department smackdown from the biggest koolaid sipper on the board, wow! a lot of negative mean green vibes there for a kram post. way to tell it like it is. :shuriken:

• Upvote 1