Nt Vs Army

GreenN'walinsVet

Wow. I mite be rethinking the Clemson trip and do NY instead

I was thinking the same thing. Not sure why Clemson is so much more. Not to mention you will more than likely be paying for a car rental with extra miles, as the campus is pretty far from the airport.

• Upvote 2

Does anyone know why it takes to so long for the AD to release UNT full Schedule? I noticed Troy got a head start, can we expect our game list shortly?

Well we know we have 4 non conference games, @Clemson, @Army, Rice and K-State at home. Add in conf games MUTS, Troy, FAU West Kentucky, FIU, ASU, ULL, ULM and you have 12 games. We know we open with Clemson and the rumor is will will end with K-State. The rest is in the air as far as I can tell. I can tell you this, if I am Todd Dodge I would encourage RV moving Troy and MTSU to later in the year!

Just to let everyone out there know. I booked a plane ticket up to NYC for the Army game today on Air Tran Airlines for the 16th thru the 19th for only $235 roundtrip!!!

Just a thought for those coming up for the Army game -- if you are coming for the game itself and not so much to spend time in NYC, then you might want to look at fares into Stewart Airport, right outside Newburgh. I don't know if they might be cheaper or not, than going to JFK or LaGuardia or Newark (try to avoid Newark Airport if at all possible). Even if you want to go into NYC, train travel is easy from there, either Amtrak or MetroNorth (you might have to drive a few minutes south to catch that -- Amtrak goes into Penn Station, MetroNorth into Grand Central). Newburgh is a city in some tough times, and gets attention for its crime rate, but still should be safe enough -- right across the Hudson River is Beacon, a nice town with good hotels.

• 1 month later...

Sure will be a great time for all able to go. I have been to West Point and just setting foot on the place is a great feeling. Sure wish my bride and I could go...alas, we cannot. Have a great time if you can go...and I would encourage anyone who is thinking about it to GO! You will not be disappointed.

Sure will be a great time for all able to go. I have been to West Point and just setting foot on the place is a great feeling. Sure wish my bride and I could go...alas, we cannot. Have a great time if you can go...and I would encourage anyone who is thinking about it to GO! You will not be disappointed.

Damn...I was hoping to meet you.

I'm always up for a good anthropological study.

• Downvote 2

I work in NY but commute there from Durham. Hotels can be awful in New York and if you want to stay in Manhattan, you can easily pay 400 a night for a Hampton Inn, especially in Sept. A few suggestions, Quickbook has deals with some of the smaller NY hotels and you can get some good rates there. But my favorite thing to do is to bid on Priceline. If you have never used it, you can specify the star level and location (many to choose in Manhattan) and then submit a price. I am in NY at least two weeks a month and have recently stayed at the NY Sheraton for 120 a night, Grand Hyatt for 105, etc. Even in the summer I have never paid more than 150 and that was for a 2 1/2 star hotel, the Wellington. Just don't expect the best room in the house!! The other caution is to make sure all of your dates, etc are correct as once a hotel takes your bid, your card is charged and there are no refunds at all.

We have four attending, AA on points.

Staying at the Doubletree Suites at Times Square Thursday-Sunday, also on points.

Will rent a car out of the city Saturday morning. Hopefully on points.

Looking to buy tickets. With points?

Will see my West Point cadet cousin while we are there, and hope some family West Point alums will join us.

Saw the last NT-Army game, in the snow. I left feeling a lot better about the future of the country.

GMG

Just a thought for those coming up for the Army game -- if you are coming for the game itself and not so much to spend time in NYC, then you might want to look at fares into Stewart Airport, right outside Newburgh. I don't know if they might be cheaper or not, than going to JFK or LaGuardia or Newark (try to avoid Newark Airport if at all possible). Even if you want to go into NYC, train travel is easy from there, either Amtrak or MetroNorth (you might have to drive a few minutes south to catch that -- Amtrak goes into Penn Station, MetroNorth into Grand Central). Newburgh is a city in some tough times, and gets attention for its crime rate, but still should be safe enough -- right across the Hudson River is Beacon, a nice town with good hotels.

Stewart is usually a pain, in the past there has no non-stops and the price tends to be high at times. It is the closest to West Point but with limited flights it gets interesting at times. I have had friends get stuck when there is an issue, like in Chicago, Philly or Cincinnati. I heard that a couple airlines have stopped serving Stewart and I am fairly sure American Airlines stopped flying to Stewart for a few years now. Plus most of the airlines that serve Stewart have only one flight a day. Albany may be another option. But Newark is the best bet when going upstate, the rental cars are usually a good bit cheaper then New York and you can just get on the Jersey turnpike right outside the airport. I prefer Newark over JFK or La Guardia in this situation, plus it is the easiest to get to when heading back to the City. While on the Jersey turnpike crank up "Woke Up This Morning" by A3 Songfacts.

• Upvote 2

Stewart is usually a pain, in the past there has no non-stops and the price tends to be high at times. It is the closest to West Point but with limited flights it gets interesting at times. I have had friends get stuck when there is an issue, like in Chicago, Philly or Cincinnati. I heard that a couple airlines have stopped serving Stewart and I am fairly sure American Airlines stopped flying to Stewart for a few years now. Plus most of the airlines that serve Stewart have only one flight a day. Albany may be another option. But Newark is the best bet when going upstate, the rental cars are usually a good bit cheaper then New York and you can just get on the Jersey turnpike right outside the airport. I prefer Newark over JFK or La Guardia in this situation, plus it is the easiest to get to when heading back to the City. While on the Jersey turnpike crank up "Woke Up This Morning" by A3 Songfacts.

As much as I hate Newark Liberty, if you're not planning on staying in New York City at all (though I can't understand why you wouldn't) it would probably be the best to fly into in order to avoid city traffic and the GW Bridge.

Albany would be a longer, but much easier drive. And for those of a like mind to me who like dive bars, good music venues, and good food with a focus on local and organically grown products, Albany is a good spot for a night or two.

If you're a Jet Blue flyer, I'd recommend White Plains as an option.

Damn...I was hoping to meet you.

I'm always up for a good anthropological study.

Thanks, CBL, glad to see you survived that frontal lobotomy.

Hey, for those heading to the City during the weekend with Army find the TRAILER PARK LOUNGE. It's a funky and fun place later in the evening...you might, if you are lucky, get to see Elvis sing in person. Really, it's a real interesting and funky and fun place. Even my bride loved the place...they even have mac 'n cheese with Spam...and other such stuff...I think they still serve Pabst beer! Hey...it's the Trailer Park Lounge after all....Have fun!

I work in NY but commute there from Durham. Hotels can be awful in New York and if you want to stay in Manhattan, you can easily pay 400 a night for a Hampton Inn, especially in Sept. A few suggestions, Quickbook has deals with some of the smaller NY hotels and you can get some good rates there. But my favorite thing to do is to bid on Priceline. If you have never used it, you can specify the star level and location (many to choose in Manhattan) and then submit a price. I am in NY at least two weeks a month and have recently stayed at the NY Sheraton for 120 a night, Grand Hyatt for 105, etc. Even in the summer I have never paid more than 150 and that was for a 2 1/2 star hotel, the Wellington. Just don't expect the best room in the house!! The other caution is to make sure all of your dates, etc are correct as once a hotel takes your bid, your card is charged and there are no refunds at all.

I did not even think about Priceline, but I will check them out now! Thanks!

I have been working on a project at west point for the last couple of months. The cheapest most reliable way I have found to get there is to fly AA. The cost has been around 260 round trip to White Plains Westchester county airport. (HPN) This airport is quick in and easy out, compared to all of the places I travel to.

You fly from DFW to Chicago, then take an American eagle flight to White Plains. It is a 25 to 35 minute drive to Manhatten south, depending on traffic. The drive up to the USMA (West Point) is about 25 to 30 minutes through a scenic mountain range.

There is also a train (subway) straight up to the garrison from NYC.

The guys that are working on the site say that the Newburgh flights are dicey, as there are only a few in there a day and you can get stuck.

I have been staying at the Sheraton Tarrytown in White plains. It is very nice and runs about 125 a night which is reasonable.

For those who want to stay in NYC, I think the train is an interesting option. The airline tickets if you choose this option in to Newark are usually cheaper than the other two airports.

All being said, everyone is really going to enjoy West Point. The architecture and history are unbelievable. It is definatly something to see.

• Upvote 1