Trust In Todd?

MeanGreenTexan

Trust is there, but still question whether there is a true spring competition @ QB. If Riley wins out fine; but if Coach Canales sees like many of us that he is too short, too brittle, and unable to throw long, will TD allow him to be put at WR where every other coach including Mack Brown saw him as an athlete and not a D-1 QB?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

My question is: Do we trust Todd Dodge to drive this machine he's built to a 7-5 or better year in 2010?

I personally can't see 7 - 5. This 1 hire doesn't make us better than Kansas St,Clemson,Troy or MTSU. That would mean we would have to WIN 7 of the other 8 games on the schedule and I don't see that happening. It's one coordinator position. It's a not a whole new staff , it's not a 5 star QB and it's certainly not a stud DT that can carry a whole unit.

A good hire ? Yes.

UNT & TD's savior ? No

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 5

I personally can't see 7 - 5. This 1 hire doesn't make us better than Kansas St,Clemson,Troy or MTSU. That would mean we would have to WIN 7 of the other 8 games on the schedule and don't see that happening. It's one coordinator position. It's a not a whole new staff , it's not a 5 star QB and it's certainly not a stud DT that can carry a whole unit.

A good hire ? Yes.

UNT & TD's savior ? No

This.

Win, and I'll believe.

It's no longer a matter of trust or faith or belief. The University already put its trust in Dodge when it hired him and then kept him on the job despite a 5-31 record. We put our trust in him by joining and renewing the Mean Green Club and buying tickets and showing up week after week despite the mounting losses.

This year it's a matter of Todd Dodge proving himself a Division I Football Bowl Subdivision head coach, and the only way to do that is to win. No excuses.

I have no expectations, positive or negative. I have hope, and I will continue to support this team. I sincerely hope that every member of this board will, after the 2010 season, wish to have Todd Dodge back for a fifth season. But that sentiment must be earned in the fall, not given in January.

• Upvote 5

Many have stated thier frustration with Dodge is in keeping the best QB off the field, or being stretched too thin with calling plays and being the CEO of the team at the same time, and just plain not understanding the game at the BCS level. While I don't think Dodge himself is in over his head, I do believe he brought in some assistants who were. The hiring of coach Canales is reflective of a long line of excellent replacement hires by Dodge:

He re-hired DeLoach after finding that Mendoza was utterly outcoached in every game.

He pushed for a dedicated FB strength & conditioning position, then brought in one of the best in Ausmus, and a guy most of us are very happy with in Gahagan.

He shifted Gandy over to Special teams where we saw many improvements last year (hope to see better kicking this season).

He brought in coach Nelson to take over the D-Line.

Then, he gets coach Canales... and here we are. Optimism in the form of Green KoolAid.

Everyone he hired so far has the much desired skins-on-the-wall.

With this hire, many of coach Dodge's fiercest critics are easing off (even praising him), and seem to think this will free him up to focus on game management.

The "cupboard is bare" and "young team" arguements are no longer valid. I don't think anyone here is too concerned over the talent of the players (other than D-Line, and I think there are 100's of other schools in our boat).

My question is: Do we trust Todd Dodge to drive this machine he's built to a 7-5 or better year in 2010?

My trust is in Canales, Deloach, Nelson, Gandy, Leftwich, and Gahagan.

Dodge, since agreeing to turn over the playcalling and training of QBs to Canales, is no more than a side issue to me now. We now have guys on both sides of the ball with enough experience at this level calling the shots.

Dodge can go sit up in the press box, eat hot dogs and drink Diet Cokes for all I care. He won't be the one calling the shots anyway - and, it's the best career move he's ever made!

Think of the upside for Dodge in giving up control to people who actually know what they're doing - he can become a Mack Brown-, Bobby Bowden-, Joe Pa-like figurehead in his mid-40s instead of having to wait until his 70s.

Maybe he can borrow Bowden's old golf cart to go to and from practice and sit in the shade while Canales gets us ready for 2010.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 2

I think it is foolish to trust in Todd Dodge. He has done very little in terms of success to warrant trust.

So, no i do not trust that he will get the job done because the job hasn't been close to getting it done the first three years.

It is all a wait and see.

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 1

No. He's the worst coach in school history.

He'll be fired by week 8. We are just riding this year out because we've got to much money tied up in the new stadium.

Whoa there, easy on the greed kool aid Mr Superfan.

Myself and a couple of others have thought for the past couple of years that the most likely successor to Dodge, and the most potentially successful (should Todge not be able to turn the ship around) would be a coordinator from one of the midmajor powerhouses we should be using as a model for our program, ie Boise ST or USF. Here ya go.

I just want to know was handing over the reigns to Canales TD or RV's idea ?

As has been pointed out repeatedly, RV specifically told TD to pick his own staff. RV doesn’t want to impose an ultimatum, then tell Dodge he cannot have the people he needs to fulfill it. Parcells pointed out something about if you are cooking the dinner you should be able to shop for the groceries.

So obviously it was Dodge’s idea. Dodge also consulted a LOT of other coaches (and named them!) who told him Canales would be an excellent choice and Dodge has said he agrees. There is no reason for Dodge to go so far out of his way to list how he researched Canales if Dodge does not like him. That simply makes no sense.

As has been pointed out repeatedly, RV specifically told TD to pick his own staff. RV doesn’t want to impose an ultimatum, then tell Dodge he cannot have the people he needs to fulfill it. Parcells pointed out something about if you are cooking the dinner you should be able to shop for the groceries.

So obviously it was Dodge’s idea. Dodge also consulted a LOT of other coaches (and named them!) who told him Canales would be an excellent choice and Dodge has said he agrees. There is no reason for Dodge to go so far out of his way to list how he researched Canales if Dodge does not like him. That simply makes no sense.

Part of handing over the reigns to Canales may have been Canales idea. In negotiating the position comes salary and job description requirements. I'm sure Canales didn't want to just come in to be a fall guy if this goes south without having some say in how it goes down.

• Upvote 1

I personally can't see 7 - 5. This 1 hire doesn't make us better than Kansas St,Clemson,Troy or MTSU. That would mean we would have to WIN 7 of the other 8 games on the schedule and I don't see that happening. It's one coordinator position. It's a not a whole new staff , it's not a 5 star QB and it's certainly not a stud DT that can carry a whole unit.

A good hire ? Yes.

UNT & TD's savior ? No

My rational side agrees with this. But it's February (almost) which breeds its own type of unreal expectations: National signing day is later this week; all of our verbals will stick with us; they're all gonna develop into winners; some mystery recruit will swoop in and committ who is the second coming of the Billdozer Dauterive. I reserve the right to ignore reason for a few weeks right now and let happy pants excitement take over for a while. Same goes for the Canales hire. The story changes when Spring ball rolls around and inevitable injuries, departures, and the brand of random weirdness (aka reality) that seems to always come up emerges.

Trust is there, but still question whether there is a true spring competition @ QB. If Riley wins out fine; but if Coach Canales sees like many of us that he is too short, too brittle, and unable to throw long, will TD allow him to be put at WR where every other coach including Mack Brown saw him as an athlete and not a D-1 QB?

I think you need to go back and look at what Canales said about Riley Dodge. He even compared him to USF's qb, and from the other things he said, he is more positive about Riley than you are.

Ofcourse I trust! For it is the right thing to do! Call me what you want....It is always easier to believe in the Mean Green than bring back the negative tone that has been a major part of this program EVEN when we went to four consecutive bowl games. Take time to look with enthusiasm and anticipation for the upcoming season....rather than will mistrust and disbelief. You will have a lot more fun....and maybe, just maybe, the Mean Green will surprize all of the non-believers.

I don't live in the past...but, the optimism of the future. And, if things for some reason don't work out....I will think about that then and only then. For now, I really do believe in the Mean Green!

• Upvote 1