Tennessee Hires Dooley

dml7007

It wasn't a knock on you, just that this isn't the first time reports have surfaced claiming Tennessee has made a hire. First, they reported Troy Calhoun was ready to call a press conference to announce his hire. And, then all the local news stations were reporting yesterday that Cutcliffe was all but signed...now Dooley?? What in the world is going on in Knoxville??

footballscoop.com

Tennessee: ESPN is now reporting that the reports may have jumped the gun and Kevin Sumlin is still in it. ESPN says the deal with Dooley is not yet finalized.

And there you go...as I said...someone's crying wolf again. I won't believe Tennessee has hired a head coach until about three weeks after they have officially introduced him.

footballscoop.com

Tennessee: ESPN is now reporting that the reports may have jumped the gun and Kevin Sumlin is still in it. ESPN says the deal with Dooley is not yet finalized.

And there you go...as I said...someone's crying wolf again. I won't believe Tennessee has hired a head coach until about three weeks after they have officially introduced him.

The site is also saying Dooley has accepted the HC position, so who knows what the situation really is. I won't believe anything until the university announces its decision.

footballscoop.com

I thought I read where Sumlin just signed a new contract?

Wow, Dooley was the football coach AND the Athletic Director at Louisiana Tech.

I'm sure Tech will be fine, but that's a lot of scrambling around for the school to do before recruiting ends.

What would that situation do to North Texas with the stupid "job must be posted 30 days before hire is made" rule: minimum of 30 days for an AD, and then additional minimum 30 days to hire a coach. Yikes!

and...on another note...Bitch Slap!

kjvODj6O3dM

Wow, Dooley was the football coach AND the Athletic Director at Louisiana Tech.

I'm sure Tech will be fine, but that's a lot of scrambling around for the school to do before recruiting ends.

What would that situation do to North Texas with the stupid "job must be posted 30 days before hire is made" rule: minimum of 30 days for an AD, and then additional minimum 30 days to hire a coach. Yikes!

and...on another note...Bitch Slap!

kjvODj6O3dM

Does this exist in writing anywhere? It seems only lately it was determined not to exist in state law.

What my friend whose dad coached with Vince Dooley said of Derek in his e-mail back to me:

"yep, i wore his hand-me-downs, saw him about every Sunday in the player's dorm cafeteria. he is alittle bit older than us. I don't think he had a very good year last season at La. Tech, but i haven't had a chance to look at his records. i think Tenn. got alittle desperate after being turned down by a few first choices.. i knew Derek would get to the SEC eventually.... "

Dooley must know a little something about what he's doing and about athletics in general. Afterall, he hired Kerry Rupp, LaTech's men's basketball coach, who in only his third year has the bulldogs currently at 17-2. :blink:

Rick

Rupp was hired by the former AD Oakes....well actually Karl Malone and Oakes rubber stamped it. Dooley didnt add the AD title until his 2nd year there. I think the UT folks will be surprised by Dooley though, I think it's a pretty good hire for them.