Would You Take Him ?

NT03

I guess I'd like to see the legal process play out enough to see what all is involved; I'm no goody two-shoes or anything but, hey, a guy has to stay out of jail in order to play. If it turns out to be a one time thing which could be resolved somewhere short of a felony conviction or indications of him being a hopeless troublemaker, I'd be ok with giving him a chance.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Talent-wise...absolutely. But, what kind of baggage does he carry. If this is a first time offense he deserves a second chance and a fr4sh start. If he is an habitual troublemaker...No way, Jose. From what I know he would fit the former.

Talent-wise...absolutely. But, what kind of baggage does he carry. If this is a first time offense he deserves a second chance and a fr4sh start. If he is an habitual troublemaker...No way, Jose. From what I know he would fit the former.

My guess is that he definitely has problems, to be a starter and booted from UT. Having said that, he would have to set out a year and NT and that would allow time to evaluate his character; so he may be worth the risk.

NOPE! Don't need him. Don't need his lack of character on this team. NOPE.

Uh oh, the streak I mentioned in another thread...well, that's over now. :lol:

While he may be of questionable character, we'd be crazy not to take him. One would have to hope he's learned from this mistake and would be happy to have a second chance. However, the question isn't would we take him, the question is would he come here? The answer is - unlikely.

Not enough information. As far as lack of character, we have guys currently on the team who have done worse. The thing that might worry me more than the arrest itself is the attitude he seemed to show through it, and the lack of basic common sense:

When the police arrived on the scene, the suspect still wouldn't depart and was then arrested.

If you can't be respectful and shut up at other times, you at least have to learn to do it when the police show up. This guy blew a dream chance because of it. I think coaches would need to seriously assess if this guy got a clue somewhere in the wake of his arrest and dismissal from UT. And find out if this is a one-time mistake, or typical behavior.

I've gotta admit, he'd give us some more "star power" at the WR position, whatever that's worth, along with William Cole. But not enough to get a completely free pass.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

He'll probably have many schools to choose amongst, but yes, of course I would want him here if he can help our team, and I wouldn't want him if he can't help our team.

This arrest has very little bearing on his character.

Give the guy a scholarship if he improves the talent level.

His arrest has "very little bearing on his character"...how so?

I don't know about "very little bearing," but it certainly does not tell the whole story. Not everybody who has ever been arrested is a complete low-life scumbag who doesn't deserve to live. He may be a class act who acted stupidly in this situation. I can think of other players we've had who have done a stupid thing or two, but for the most part were class acts. And I'm proud to have had them play for the University of North Texas. There are some others, well. . . . But if I were Coach Dodge, I'd at least be willing to hear him out and find what others who know him have to say about him.

I've gotta admit, he'd give us some more "star power" at the WR position, whatever that's worth, along with William Cole. But not enough to get a completely free pass.

Just go to the Tollway, Knox, or Southlake....Sorry, the Norm in me couldnt resist. HAHAHAHa (Norm Laugh)

Well, per ESPN, Dan Buckner has transferred to Arizona.

Wide receiver Dan Buckner leaving Texas for Arizona

Dan Buckner, a 6-foot-4, 215-pound receiver from Allen, Texas, has transferred from Texas to the Arizona Wildcats for the Class of 2010.

Buckner will have to sit out the 2010 season as a transfer, then will be eligible for the 2011 and 2012 seasons.