Turner Gill To K U

NT03

I'd be happy with Turner, the man can recruit & coach . Most TX high schools have better facilities than Buffalo. How hard would it be to recruit a kid to Buffalo ?

Before Gill

2002 : 1- 11

2003 : 1 - 11

2004 : 2 - 9

2005 : 1 - 10

Gill hired

2006 : 2 - 10

2007 : 5 - 7

2008 : 8 - 6 MAC Champs

2009 : 5 - 7

I'm just not completely sold that he's had enough experience. I don't know much about the Mangino controversy, but I'd say he had a bigger turnaround for their program against much tougher opponents.

Edited by mdh0192

They really seem to want Harbaugh. Not sure what makes them think that is likely to happen. He has turned that job into a good (ok, decent) one, why would he take a lateral step at best? Besides, he just turned down the opportunity to interview for ND, so Kansas is not a better option.

Haven't been on the boards for a while, but was searching through about the Gill stuff and found this thread.

I was skeptical of the hire at first too. I had convinced myself that Gill and Buffalo had simply had a flash in the pan last year with their 8-5 regular season due to having a decent senior QB. But I think I am more impressed by this year, which is why I'm beginning to convince myself that this was a decent pick for KU.

Eight of Buffalo's 12 games this season were decided by a TD or less and four games were decided by 3 pts or less. Of those eight "tossup" games, they won only 3 of them, meaning they left five "winnable" games on the table. In other words, this team played themselves into a position to win as many as 10 games. Sure, they only won 5, and we can play the "woulda shoulda coulda" game all day, but for a program that, as mentioned above, has facilities worse than many Texas high schools, is in a very cold climate, has not one bit of history, I'm pretty amazed by their competitiveness.

The question in my mind then shifts to not whether or not is a decent coach, but whether he can outcoach some of the other B12 coaches and succeed in the longrun. And that's where I am not so confident.

While Kansas is a big upgrade from Buffalo, Gill will find himself once again at a disadvantage in terms of facilities compared to most of his conference running mates. Not only that, but KU loses a ton of starters from this years squad, including some pretty significant playmakers. And while KU has seen recent success under Mangino, much of that has come at a time when KSU, ISU, and Colorado have been downtrodden. Both Kansas State and Iowa State improved leaps and bounds this year and Nebraska looks to be setting themselves up nicely for the future as well.

That's a big hurdle for Gill and he'll need to outscheme and outevaluate for the diamonds in the rough to succeed at Kansas like Mangino did.

Eight of Buffalo's 12 games this season were decided by a TD or less and four games were decided by 3 pts or less. Of those eight "tossup" games, they won only 3 of them, meaning they left five "winnable" games on the table. In other words, this team played themselves into a position to win as many as 10 games. Sure, they only won 5, and we can play the "woulda shoulda coulda" game all day, but for a program that, as mentioned above, has facilities worse than many Texas high schools

Hummm....where have I heard this before??

Hummm....where have I heard this before??

exactly what I was thinking. But, at least GIll has one skin on the Wall.

It will be interesting to see if Kansas and UNT fans can unite behind the "what could have been" feelings over Jim Harbaugh.

I actually think Gill will do quite well for their program. Plus, everone on KU's payroll and benefit package can thank this hire and Mangino's firing for lowering their health care premiums by about $10 a month.