Disgusting Display Of Favoritism By The Big 12...

FirefightnRick

Que? How is it a mythical game. #1 vs. #2 every year.

My nominee for worst post of the season right here.

The current BCS 'champions' won't really be as such since a lot of good programs are being left out because they weren't good programs back in like, 1954 or whatever. The BCS is an oligarchy, and it's as simple as that. God forbid that these schools have to win a national title through something like a tournament, or have to play schools that might endanger their flawless (hah) record. I mean, why should the BCS be subject to the same rules as pro boxing, the NFL, the NBA, olympic track and field, and really every other sport? No, let's just decide the championship of a sport based on popularity.

So what if a tournament happens, and what if Cincy, and Rutgers and Boise and TCU all get knocked off and UT and OU still rise to the top? At least this time, they earned their way to title game instead of being nudged along through a popularity system.

So Boise beating 1 ranked team is better than Texas beating 3?

If you only count wins over teams that will be ranked at the next poll(which is the way I typically do because teams can be vastly over ranked early on) - will Texas even have wins over 2?

Edited by CMJ

Boise has to play better teams.

This is limited by their conference. And the schools that are out of their conference and are worth playing for the sake of rankings are scared to death of losing. Hence the beauty of an improved tournament system. They'll get that chance to play better schools without the schools saying, "oh, I'm sorry this doesn't work for (our bowl ranking votes) game schedule this year so we'll bow out."

Or let's say this - you're now a pro boxer. But you're set up in a way that in order to make it to the big championship match, your actual record doesn't matter - it's who you box, and you have to fight amongst the top 25 boxers in the league or you don't get voted in. Problem is, the teams you gotta fight to get ranked in don't wanna fight you because you've beat up one or two of them before when they underestimated you, and you've also beat the guys in your region. You might have 100% win ratio this time around, but you can't fight in the big match against guys with 1 or 2 losses because they always get to fight the big fights that you get left out of...

...wouldn't that seem a bit screwed up?

Edited by meangreendork

Would texas beat oregon? All I know is that this rendition of the longhorns is weak - they are not a great team and head to head against boise, tcu and cincy i am not convinced texas is better.

texas will be toyed with in pasadena!

GMG

Horse collar was a legit call. Colt was outside the box and not past the LOS.

Was the Neb player actually behind the runner and did the TU player's legs bend under him?

If the ball did not pass the LOS, it should have been grounding.

So Boise beating 1 ranked team is better than Texas beating 3?

Anyone TU played this year who was "ranked" was ranked because of the conference they play in.

Would texas beat oregon? All I know is that this rendition of the longhorns is weak - they are not a great team and head to head against boise, tcu and cincy i am not convinced texas is better.

texas will be toyed with in pasadena!

GMG

I would lay money that TCU would beat TU.

Was the Neb player actually behind the runner and did the TU player's legs bend under him?

If the ball did not pass the LOS, it should have been grounding.

Anyone TU played this year who was "ranked" was ranked because of the conference they play in.

I would lay money that TCU would beat TU.

RUDY: The ball went past the LOS - Colt did not. Horse Collar was as legit as you can get when calling a horse collar. His legs did bend under him.

No one mentioned the very first possession for Nebraska saw them not get a 4th down conversion, then get a booth review and a favorable spot after - prolonging a drive and getting a field goal. The calls went both ways, as they do with most games.

You all who think Texas doesn't deserve to be in the NC:

Bama opponents:

89-67 including 6-5 CHATTANOOGA

Texas opponents:

83-74 did not play a D 1-AA school

Boise opponents:

71-86 including 6-5 UC DAVIS

TCU opponents:

70-74 including 7-4 TX ST

Cincy opponents:

70-73 including 2-9 SOUTHEAST MISSOURI ST

It's obvious the non auto-bid conference undefeateds played an easier schedule. You can't argue that.

You can argue that they don't have the opportunity because they aren't in a tougher conference... and they will get their chance:

Fiesta:

Iowa vs Boise

Sugar:

Fla vs Cincy

Orange:

Ga Tech vs TCU

I will bet money that at least 2 of the 3 (Cincy/Boise/TCU) will lose their bowl games. Im not saying they absolutely can't go 3-0, but chances are it will be otherwise, and lines makers will probably agree with me.

It's penis envy that makes everyone on this board lose objectivity when talking about UT and non-AQ National Championship contenders. Comments of "1988 all over again" back this up. There is always a conspiracy to this board. It's laughable and definitely lowers this fanbases college football IQ to other college football fans. It also shows how out of touch UNT fans are with winning and the grand scheme of college football. Talk to a TCU alumn. They will tell you the system sucks, but the 2 teams in the NC deserve to be there. I know - I live with 2 of them, and they are happy as can be able to get a shot at a team like Fla, Iowa, or Ga Tech, or Oregon and the prospect of an undefeated season.

I am a UT alum, have been a die hard Longhorn since birth and have to admit I was thoroughly embarrassed at how the Horns looked last night. I think they should pass on a bowl game (ala ND) after that offensive performance. I don't think this team is anywhere near the 05 team that pulled off the upset. If Bama is not at least a 21 pt favorite, it will be a joke. Pellini and his DC totally outcoached Greg Davis. For a game of that stature and a team not be ready to play is a disgrace. McCoy lost the Heisman last night without a doubt. Sorry TCU. UT should at least share their bowl check with you as a gesture of empathy and decency. As for Nebraska, WOW, they should be happy and encouraged about their future. If they get a QB and upgrade their offense, that team is right back where they were when Osborne left. Pellini should get Coach of the Year. Shu, the D lineman, should win all six awards he is up for. Never seen one D player dominate and influence a game like that guy. He made the Horns O line look like a bunch of JV guys. None of them could block him. After the game, I honestly felt like UT stole the game. Just sickening.

RUDY: The ball went past the LOS - Colt did not. Horse Collar was as legit as you can get when calling a horse collar. His legs did bend under him.

No one mentioned the very first possession for Nebraska saw them not get a 4th down conversion, then get a booth review and a favorable spot after - prolonging a drive and getting a field goal. The calls went both ways, as they do with most games.

Bama opponents:

Texas opponents:

Boise opponents:

TCU opponents:

Cincy opponents:

It's obvious the non auto-bid conference undefeateds played an easier schedule. You can't argue that.

You can argue that they don't have the opportunity because they aren't in a tougher conference... and they will get their chance:

Fiesta:

Iowa vs Boise

Sugar:

Fla vs Cincy

Orange:

Ga Tech vs TCU

I will bet money that at least 2 of the 3 (Cincy/Boise/TCU) will lose their bowl games. Im not saying they absolutely can't go 3-0, but chances are it will be otherwise, and lines makers will probably agree with me.

It's penis envy that makes everyone on this board lose objectivity when talking about UT and non-AQ National Championship contenders. Comments of "1988 all over again" back this up. There is always a conspiracy to this board. It's laughable and definitely lowers this fanbases college football IQ to other college football fans. It also shows how out of touch UNT fans are with winning and the grand scheme of college football. Talk to a TCU alumn. They will tell you the system sucks, but the 2 teams in the NC deserve to be there. I know - I live with 2 of them, and they are happy as can be able to get a shot at a team like Fla, Iowa, or Ga Tech, or Oregon and the prospect of an undefeated season.

Go over to TCU's board. Most on killerfrogs are NOT happy.

Go over to TCU's board. Most on killerfrogs are NOT happy.

if you can honestly say that you feel things worked out and the best 2 teams are in the national championship game... I suppose I can't argue with you... because you are insane and watch college sports with blinders on.

I bet you also think the yankees didn't buy a championship this year...

vommit.... we are talking green pee soup vommit with 360 degree head swivel exorcist style vommit...

omg... I just saw the replay of the tu game... I think I'm gonna be sick... again...

Honestly, Texas and Alabama might be the best two teams. I can't argue with anyone who thinks they are. If we're just talking about best wins, I'd say it should be Alabama(over Florida) and Boise State(over Oregon). The top 5 schools have all beaten quality opponents this season tho, and all have pluses and minuses. You can make a case for any of them to be in the National title game.

Maybe, maybe not. But he didn't touch or interfere with him near as much as the tU DB that climbed up all over the face of the Nebraska reciever as he tried to catch one at the 1 yard line earlier in the game did. And in the second replay of the one called against Nebraska you can see the zebra pulling the flag out before the ball even gets there, even though contact occured about the same time the ball arrived.

Watching that kick go out of bounds sent chills up my spine by the way and reminds me we have a long, long road of recovery ahead of us? I just hope I don't read tomorrow that Pelini admits he ordered the kicker to intentionally directional kick? And I'll never understand why they didn't have the field goal kicker kicking it? It's obvious the kid has a howitzer for a leg and could have easily sent it though the back of the endzone, so why not ensure they get zero return and do that? Why?

Rick

What about all the blatantly obvious holding from the UT OL on Suh?? Suh was whooping all their asses and you could see almost on every play he was being held. Not one holding call. Ridiculous, IMO.

<_<

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 1

Bama opponents:

Texas opponents:

Boise opponents:

TCU opponents:

Cincy opponents:

Fiesta:

Iowa vs Boise

Sugar:

Fla vs Cincy

Orange:

Ga Tech vs TCU

Agree with everything you said.

I don't think anyone is really arguing that Alabama and Texas do not deserve to be in the title game - I think it's safe to say that we all agree there are about 5 or 6 teams who deserve to be in the title game.

Alabama

Texas

TCU

Cincinnati

Boise State

Florida (the only worthy 1-loss team)

It would have been very close b/w Cincy & TCU is UT lost & Clemson won. I wish it would have ended in a computer tie and the system blew up in their face. Until there is a playoff , college football will continue to be somewhat rigged

If this had happened and TCU ended up in the BCS Title game, we would be further away from getting a playoff because the BCS brass could point to the system and say, "see...everyone has a shot". What happened this weekend was absolutely the best possible scenario for those who want a playoff.

Horse Collar was as legit as you can get when calling a horse collar. His legs did bend under him.

You are delusional.

The horsecollar didn't even bring the player down as the defender let him go prior to him coming to the ground, nor did the defender touch his legs or get into his back. It was a reach-out grab of the tU's jersey(I'm not even sure he had him by the shoulder pads), pulled and released. It was a pathetic call at a critical time in the game that aided texas to get into position for the winning kick.

The booth review proves my point how pathetic the officials on the field were in this game by where they originally spotted the ball. It was obvious on the live play that the ball carrier never touched the ground before lunging past the first down, much less what it must have looked like being down on the field. Yet the line judge couldn't even get it remotely close to where the ball ended up. That's why there was so much shock in the crowd when the review placed it nearly 2 yards forward.

After nearly every play you see Suh's shoulders being exposed out from under his jersey and shoulder pads because he was being held so badly, yet no call. Again, this is typical of an officiating crew choosing to look the other way when it either benefits the current storied program or their conference in a tight game.

And the '88 game, of which you more than likely didn't see doesn't even need mentioning here. Arkansas State learned two years ago that when the game is on the line against one of the highest funded football teams in the world your going to have to beat 12 people on the field, not 11. The amazing fact about that game though is that the big 12 conference admitted their refs blew the call on the on-side kick that ASU recovered, and apologized to ASU the next week for it, which is tons more than what North Texas got in '88, that's for sure. Only was it during the morning of the rematch 3 years later in '91 did a few of the people involved with that '88 tU team actually give a hint that there was foul play in an article in the Austin American Statesman. To this day, there's never been a MORE blatently one sided, favorably called game for one team over another than this one, at least that I have seen in my life, live or on TV.

It's been a bad decade for officiating nation wide. We've seen call after call blown that's now brought the review process to where it must be now. We've seen an SEC official actually make a tackle, and this year an entire crew was suspended. Last night was another opportunity for an officiating crew to finally get it right and let the teams play and not get involved to the point that they affect the outcome, but it didn't happen. There's just too much money involved.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick