Source: Decision Made

Brett Vito

If he stays it had better a 7 win mandate at the bare minimum, to not have a winning season after 4 years is ridiculous.

Before the season I figured 4 wins this year and 7 in 2010 with pressure to compete for the conference title. Even though we didn't get the 4 wins this year, I'm not backing off 7 wins being the mark next year.

I'm still convinced that even if we don't hit the mark next year (let's say 4 wins) Dodge will be given the 5th year of his contract. However, another 1-2 win season and I wouldn't bet against opening the stadium with a new coach.

Not only is it a resume builder, it's a safe one. If it works, you're a hero. If not, then you have the excuse that things were too bad for anyone to save.

I think we can find good, competent and experienced assistants who are willing to come here. I hope we devote enough money to pay them!

Look everyone-

Former Pitt and Stanford head coach Walt Harris is an assistant at Akron for $75k - Ford was making more than that!

There are former head coaches who have already made their retirement dough who will stand on the sidelines of mid-majors - even as assistants!

Everyone here wants to sell this thing short. We can't do that. Good coaches will come here...but, you have to go ahead and ask them. You can't bury your head in the sand and pretend you can't do something when proof otherwise is all over the mid-major landscape.

Good news...if true, I'm glad the wait is over and UNT and get on with preparing for a better 2010 in the win/loss column. Anyone who wants is free to leave, but I would ask that you re-think your position after a few days to cool off and consider things a bit more. UNT needs the Mean Green Nation now as much as ever before. I want to stay and enjoy the ride to a better 2010.

Let's hope that TD finds the assistants he needs, and allows them full control over their areas, and that he becomes the CEO for the team. I have always felt that quality assistants make for a great head coach. However, one must allow their assistants to "do their thing"...unless, of course, a big-picture CEO type decision must be made.

I always wanted to hire people much brighter and much better than I was...always made me look so much better. If they wanted my job and had the talent, I wanted them on my team. You hire good people and you let them do their job with as little interference as possible. I believe that would work with a football team as well....

Welcome TD to year #4...I'm there and will be in full support. GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!

I just find it disappointing that we have now held responsible almost everyone Dodge has hired, but have not held responsible the man who hired them.

Bingo. All this says it that it was all these other lousy coaches that were the problem - not Football Trilli. Have we ever seen such scapegoating?

Too bad that ol' "The Right Way" Dodge wasn't more loyal to his friends and long time assistants and their families than to his own job - for our sake.

Bingo. All this says it that it was all these other lousy coaches that were the problem - not Football Trilli. Have we ever seen such scapegoating?

Too bad that ol' "The Right Way" Dodge wasn't more loyal to his friends and long time assistants and their families than to his own job - for our sake.

If anything this is RV scapegoating, if TD gets enough coaches around him to win, it makes RV look better maybe, hell I don't know. I might as well bang my head in to the wall. But I don't think firing these coaches has ever been TD's idea.

I don't think my conscience would allow me to watch every single one of my assistants be held accountable for poor performance while I suffered no consequences, but that is just me.

Mark my words, Javia Hall will de-commit (he was extrmely soft, anyway) and we will suffer the worst recruiting year in a loooooong time if this purported event comes to pass.

This reeks of small time, D2 football.

If true this decision makes me want to http://www.last.fm/music/Johnny+Cash/_/Cry!+Cry!+Cry!

....not to mention the man that hired HIM.

I find this whole thing disappointing.

All you business people out there: if you had a department head who hired a new staff, and you then found that almost everyone that the department head had hired was not properly doing their job, wouldn't you at some point question the ability of the department head to run the department? Wouldn't you have to bring into question his understanding of department? Why would you simply replace all of his staff and leave the department head to direct them?

Five wins in three years. Two wins in three years against teams not Western Kentucky. Thirty-one losses in three years. A complete overhaul of the staff Dodge selected.

Is college football still just football?

All you business people out there: if you had a department head who hired a new staff, and you then found that almost everyone that the department head had hired was not properly doing their job, wouldn't you at some point question the ability of the department head to run the department? Wouldn't you have to bring into question his understanding of department? Why would you simply replace all of his staff and leave the department head to direct them?

Maybe... But seeing the brilliant tactical work in the Army game and the genius strategic use of resources in the Arkansas State game would certainly put my mind at ease. I'm sure it's the assistants making inept head coaching decisions.

I totally agree with King that it's absurd to hope for .500 in year four of a coach - ABSURD! - especially in this conference. Frankly, I think it's absurd if he really is back, while scapegoating his whole staff over three years.

and NT80 - I agree! But given that 5 wins in 3 YEARS was acceptable, can't you see RV keeping Dodge next year after 5 wins in one season? It's STUPID, period... but I can see it.

I just think if you set this precedent, that the improvement has been justified to keep Dodge on regardless of changes, IMAGINE next year at 5-7. Hell, over half of this stinkin' board wanted him back with 5 wins in THREE YEARS. If he wins 5 next year, you'll hear extension talk. Guaranteed. F'ing RIDICULOUS, but guaranteed.

Darrell Dickey had only 8 wins in THREE years. Darrell Dickey only went 5-7 in his fourth season and got an extension. What precendent?

Mass exodus of assistant coaches. Is there any pride left in TD? Why not resign and go down with your ship? Take the only life boat and leave your crew to drown, then tell everyone you weren't the one navigating when you hit the iceberg.

Well, the one positive is that I now have a new angle to complain about for next season regarding Teflon Todd. :lol:

• Upvote 1

Oh Dear Tiny Baby Football Jesus - sitting on your tiny baby football Jesus golden throne,

We come to you today to ask for forgiveness, and ask that you Please, Please, Please make the pain stop. Send us a proven leader.. A Football Moses. One who knows how to hire a competent staff. One who can engineer more than 2 wins against the bottom of the SBC barrel. One who can unite a Nation.. The Mean Green Nation, and bring Riches and glory to our hallowed ground. In Tiny Baby football Jesus' name- Amen.

Edited by filmerj

Can we get the mods to put a 48 hour moratorium on enforcing the 'No cussing' rule?

Unbelievably, assuming this report is true, our administration has found yet another way to make our situation even more bleak. Of all the options out there, we choose the one that makes our HC look the most spineless. Awesome.

The last 4 years have taught me to NEVER, EVER question how things could possibly get any worse. Unbelievable.

Edited by TIgreen01

Can we get the mods to put a 48 hour moratorium on enforcing the 'No cussing' rule?

Unbelievably, assuming this report is true, our administration has found yet another way to make our situation even more bleak. Of all the options out there, we choose the one that makes our HC look the most spineless. Awesome.

The last 4 years have taught me to NEVER, EVER question how things could possibly get any worse. Unbelievable.

Just wait until next season.

Another 10+ loss year, and the annual review might require Dodge to coach in a sun dress and bonnet with his sac tucked back between his legs.

But we still wouldn't fire him.

Edited by TheTastyGreek

Wow seriously how many people have been fired or reassigned since the Todd Dodge Era began.

North Texas really thinks this HS coach can still turn things around, wow millions of dollars lost, recruits lost, and also transfer of players to other schools and UNT is going to go for another year. Makes Sense.

It should be interesting as to how many wins Todd Dodge will get next season, replacing your assistants with new assitants with one-year contracts, is a rebuilding effort that takes time, even though this next season will be Dodge's last season.

Doesnt sound like a good deal to save the North Texas football program :(

Some of you guys are whole hog wanting Dodge gone. I only want him gone if he won't change out some of this coaching staff.

The thing is, he's got to be pretty humbled by the 5-31 thing. I just think if he had more experienced guys helping on his side of the ball, he wouldn't repeatedly do things like try to run option out of the end zone against Troy from the shotgun. I don't think there's any way that play would have been run if Petersen were the OC and helping call the shots.

I just don't think it helped Dodge to hire so many "yes men" upon arrival. The college game is too fast and the defensive coordinator too good at hiding blitzes and cover packages for the thing to ever get off the ground without some more experience eyes in the box and sideline to help him.

I've been on record as saying it was arrogant or stupid for Dodge to come in and try to run the thing with high school coaches. I stick by that. But, my guess is that he's learned his lesson. And, he's the one that had a little something to begin with. It wasn't Mendoza, Drake, Ford or George...or the original cornerback coach who came out of the private business world.

I really would like to see Dodge with a competent, college coordinator drawing up offenses with him, and a receivers coach who can get the guys to run sharper routes and cut down on the drops in crucial situations. Add that to an already good mix of Gandy and Leftwich continuing their good work with the backs and line, and I think we've got something.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

In some ways, yes. It all depends. You can get a guy who you've put in charge back on the same page with your goal easier than firing everyone. If the guy in charge has good knowledge of your business you want to keep him. The thing is, you make the hiring calls in the future instead of him. Or, you stop down and go through the interviewing process with him.

See, to me, there's a good idea in Dodge's head about the way offenses can be run. But, it definitely needs to be tweaked by someone who has prepared for college defenses for a while. Yes, it's RV's fault and Dodge's fault for not having that kind of foresight. (And, I mean...you can excuse Dodge for not knowing, since he'd never been up here. But, RV? He's the one who should have known better!)

Anway. Take it for what it's worth. I still think Dodge can succeed with help from experienced guys. The only question that remains, I suppose, is if he's willing to part ways with longtime friends in order to get this thing going.