Fire Dodge? Are You Crazy?

OGdog078

Do you really think Todd Dodge is the problem? If you fire TD, then Deloach should also go! The defense started strong, and then TANKED. Yes Nwigwe (sp) got hurt and things went down hill from there, but his head should be on the chopping block if TD's is.

THE PROBLEM WITH THE MEAN GREEN COMES DOWN TO A SINGLE ASPECT OF OUR TEAM.........JEREMY KNOTT!

He was statistically the WORST kicker in FBS football! This is not counting Akron....which is in its 1st year in FBS. We had 8 missed or blocked FG's and 7 missed XP's! That is 31 points! Not including the numerous kickoff's that went out of bounds. I blame this seasons failure on KNOTT! How many times did our game plan change because we couldnt trust the FG kicker. We lost the MUTS game, lost Army game, and a few other ones because of a horrible kicker. Solve that problem and we win 2-3 more games this season.....possibly more than that. How the HE!! do you miss 7 extra points? You cant get much closer than that! Knott cheated this school out of wins, stole a scholarship that he didnt earn (you dont earn it for just showing up), and made me personally vomit in my mouth.

I am thankful that Knott is GONE!

• Downvote 1

Do you really think Todd Dodge is the problem? If you fire TD, then Deloach should also go! The defense started strong, and then TANKED. Yes Nwigwe (sp) got hurt and things went down hill from there, but his head should be on the chopping block if TD's is.

THE PROBLEM WITH THE MEAN GREEN COMES DOWN TO A SINGLE ASPECT OF OUR TEAM.........JEREMY KNOTT!

He was statistically the WORST kicker in FBS football! This is not counting Akron....which is in its 1st year in FBS. We had 8 missed or blocked FG's and 7 missed XP's! That is 31 points! Not including the numerous kickoff's that went out of bounds. I blame this seasons failure on KNOTT! How many times did our game plan change because we couldnt trust the FG kicker. We lost the MUTS game, lost Army game, and a few other ones because of a horrible kicker. Solve that problem and we win 2-3 more games this season.....possibly more than that. How the HE!! do you miss 7 extra points? You cant get much closer than that! Knott cheated this school out of wins, stole a scholarship that he didnt earn (you dont earn it for just showing up), and made me personally vomit in my mouth.

Wow all those picks, blocked punts, fumbles, stupid penalties, bad arm tackles, dropped passes, not playing under center and lots of other questionable play calling are Knott's fault? Hell yeah get rid of this guy, that was pretty easy.

What's with the personal vendetta against Knott? No, he was not a stellar kicker, but I seriously doubt he purposefully sabotaged his collegiate career to ensure he maintained the starting kicker job just to keep North Texas football in the cellar. Also, maybe with some good coaching he could have been better. Atterberry started out the year pretty strong, but got progressively worse. And it's the coaches' responsibility to recruit players. Knott just tried to do what he was put on the field to do. Execution was poor, but so was the coaching.

We lost the MTSU, Army, FIU, etc games not because of horrible kicking, but because of horrible tackling, horrible decision making (both on the field and on the sidelines - especially in the red zone), and horrible play calling.

Well, Mr. OGdog078, consider this...Todd Dodge signed Jeremy Knott and didn't bother to sign anyone else. So, where does the fault really lie?

This goes to the heart of what I've argued here for the past couple of years - the "Dodge is a great recruiter" line is bunk. The guy didn't know FBS talent from a hole in the ground. So far, he's had many more misses than hits.

But, why should Dodge be held accountable? He'd never been a college footbal coach at the highest level before. He deserved the chance to waste our time with a never-ending learning curve on everything from recruiting to what to do in short yardage situations, right?

Well, Mr. OGdog078, consider this...Todd Dodge signed Jeremy Knott and didn't bother to sign anyone else. So, where does the fault really lie?

This goes to the heart of what I've argued here for the past couple of years - the "Dodge is a great recruiter" line is bunk. The guy didn't know FBS talent from a hole in the ground. So far, he's had many more misses than hits.

But, why should Dodge be held accountable? He'd never been a college footbal coach at the highest level before. He deserved the chance to waste our time with a never-ending learning curve on everything from recruiting to what to do in short yardage situations, right?

Craig Miller pointed out to JubJub this morning that Bobby Burton's recruiting services actually rank Dodge's 3 recruiting classes lower than Dickey's last three recruiting classes. I haven't looked it up, but if that is the case as well as what you point out, that line of thinking truely was way off based.

Coach Ford, please stay off these boards until your future has been determined.

Respectfully,

Rick

Craig Miller pointed out to JubJub this morning that Bobby Burton's recruiting services actually rank Dodge's 3 recruiting classes lower than Dickey's last three recruiting classes. I haven't looked it up, but if that is the case as well as what you point out, that line of thinking truely was way off based.

This. We have to wait a few years to let it all shake out, but Dodge's recruiting abilities and VERY questionable at best at this point. For every big offensive weapon, there are quite a few flame-outs and positions left with glaring holes. I heard the same thing this morning, 99, that as of now, Dodge's 3 classes rank below Dickey's final 3. We won't know for sure for a couple of years, but the point is this ONE AND ONLY meager strength some can point to for Football Trilli is HIGHLY debatable at best.

Seriously dude, same problem for the third straight year. Can't kick a freaking extra point. For 3 YEARS! One word:

COACHING

Dodge hired him and kept him as our starting kicker for two years, so how the hell can you blame Knott for our woes? Sure Knott isn't much of a kicker, but if Dodge had an open tryout and hired you as our new kicker, I wouldn't blame you for the resulting mess, I would blame Dodge for hiring you. It shouldn't have taken Dodge years to find someone to at least kick extra points. I'm sure there is someone on our current team who could have handled that difficult chore, but apparently Dodge & Co. didn't feel the need to find him. Oh well, Knott's gone now, so I guess you'll have to save your future vomit for someone else. Maybe Dodge's next kicker?

got to agree......

knott was terrible and dispite the other interceptions.....fumbles.....mis tackles.....other anomalies that occur when 22 men are in a controlled riot (on both sides) .....it came down to knott's foot. to me he appeared to have a low trajectory on the ball off his foot from where i sit.

I will state something I know for a fact - there has been kicker here from another college to watch a UNT game and he sat in with the rest of the recruits. He went to the same college that I graduated from and we talked after I commented on the sweatshirt he was wearing. He was redshirted as a walk-on behind an all-conference kicker and due to the division of college, he can go anywhere.

So, I guess we can assume (hope) that TD is looking.

What's with the personal vendetta against Knott? No, he was not a stellar kicker, but I seriously doubt he purposefully sabotaged his collegiate career to ensure he maintained the starting kicker job just to keep North Texas football in the cellar. Also, maybe with some good coaching he could have been better. Atterberry started out the year pretty strong, but got progressively worse. And it's the coaches' responsibility to recruit players. Knott just tried to do what he was put on the field to do. Execution was poor, but so was the coaching.

We lost the MTSU, Army, FIU, etc games not because of horrible kicking, but because of horrible tackling, horrible decision making (both on the field and on the sidelines - especially in the red zone), and horrible play calling.

I have a personal vendetta against anyone who misses 7 XP's and 8 FG's.

My problem is Knott is the only one who fits this profile. Do you think Dodge could "coach" him to kick better? If it was that easy, he would have. Knott sucked and Dodge made a bad decision every time he let him kick. When he is all you got, you have to go with it for fear of getting hung by failed 4th down conversions because you dont trust your kicker. If we had a 25% sucess rate on 4th down, I would risk it every time instead of trotting Knott out there! I would have squibb kicked every kickoff, then have 8 kicks out of bounds this season.

Atterberry is a redshirt freshman, and cant be compared to a senior kicker! Atterburry will get better with expierence, Knott wont. Atterbury may have digressed, but I have high hopes for him in the years to come.

MTSU we had a missed XP, missed FG, and 3 kicks out of bounds. Wonder why we lost? Maybe MUTS was better than us, but we came from behind to tie it up and collapsed because of bad kicking. 4 points doesnt make a difference, but when you combine that with a short field for MTSU because of kicking out of bounds.

FAU: 2 missed XP's. We were up by 2 with 1:53 left and had to go for a 4th down instead of kicking a FG. Add 2 XP to 40 and you get 42. Then add 3 to it for a FG....that makes 45 points! We lost on a last drive TD by 4. Score should have been 45-44 and force FAU to go for 2 point conversion to just to TIE THE GAME! WE SHOULD HAVE WON THIS GAME!!

THIS TEAM SHOULD HAVE BEEN A 5-7 IF WE HAD A DECENT KICKER! OPEN YOUR EYES PEOPLE! WE HAVE BEEN CLOSE IN ALMOST EVERY GAME THIS SEASON!

IN DODGE I TRUST!!!

• Downvote 1

THIS TEAM SHOULD HAVE BEEN A 5-7 IF WE HAD A DECENT KICKER! OPEN YOUR EYES PEOPLE! WE HAVE BEEN CLOSE IN ALMOST EVERY GAME THIS SEASON!

That is a bit of a stretch. This team could have been 12-0 if we had Florida's roster. We don't, and what you have stated didn't happen either, so why talk about it?

On the coaching front, who recruited him? He didn't offer himself a scholarship. Who coached him? Did we just tell him to get out there and figure it out? If we did, then this staff is worse than we could have imagined. This comes down to coaching. If he is as bad as you say, and he wasn't very good, then whose responsibility was it to find an alternative?

My problem is Knott is the only one who fits this profile. Do you think Dodge could "coach" him to kick better? If it was that easy, he would have. Knott sucked and Dodge made a bad decision every time he let him kick. When he is all you got, you have to go with it for fear of getting hung by failed 4th down conversions because you dont trust your kicker. If we had a 25% sucess rate on 4th down, I would risk it every time instead of trotting Knott out there! I would have squibb kicked every kickoff, then have 8 kicks out of bounds this season.

Atterberry is a redshirt freshman, and cant be compared to a senior kicker! Atterburry will get better with expierence, Knott wont. Atterbury may have digressed, but I have high hopes for him in the years to come.

MTSU we had a missed XP, missed FG, and 3 kicks out of bounds. Wonder why we lost? Maybe MUTS was better than us, but we came from behind to tie it up and collapsed because of bad kicking. 4 points doesnt make a difference, but when you combine that with a short field for MTSU because of kicking out of bounds.

FAU: 2 missed XP's. We were up by 2 with 1:53 left and had to go for a 4th down instead of kicking a FG. Add 2 XP to 40 and you get 42. Then add 3 to it for a FG....that makes 45 points! We lost on a last drive TD by 4. Score should have been 45-44 and force FAU to go for 2 point conversion to just to TIE THE GAME! WE SHOULD HAVE WON THIS GAME!!

IN DODGE I TRUST!!!

Wait, so you're saying that Knott didn't run out onto the field all by himself, bringing the field goal unit with him? Shocking! So I guess if Knott didn't send himself onto the field, someone else told him to do it. I don't wonder why we lost all those games this year. We've had three years under this regime with a revolving door of players and assistant coaches. The only constant is Dodge. It begins and ends with him. His choices, his players. And I think he's man enough to admit that. You can't tell me it's that hard to find a kicker. There's no gender rule in football and we have a heck of a girl's soccer team. In a powderpuff game played at Fouts while I was in school, I saw a non-scholarship soccer fan kick a 30-yard field goal with plenty of height and leg. If she can do it, surely at least one more person in this 36,000 member student body is capable. Bottom line: Dodge chose not to find someone else to kick. THIS TEAM SHOULD HAVE BEEN 8-4 IF WE HAD BETTER CLOCK MANAGEMENT, PLAYCALLING, AND DECISION-MAKING.

IN DODGE I TRUST!!!

Atteberry placekicked in HS. If Dodge thought Atteberry had the better shot at the extra point, he shoukld have had him out there.

I don't understand you. 1st you say Dodge should return, then you openly point out one of the many flaws in his coaching decisions.

S or get off the P.

We lost to MTSU because we gave up 30 points in the first half. Are you suggesting that is Knox's fault also?

Edited by UNT90

Yes, lets all pick an individual player to blame for this season's debacle. Pick one the QB, kicker, etc. and really ply it on because it is so helpful. Never-mind that whatever player you decide to highlight was playing because he was thought to be the best at his position. This team lost games for all kinds of reasons, bad play, questionable decisions, poor preparation, lack of talent at positions and at times lack of effort. Coaches are fair game in my book, but IMO to continue to deride particular players serves no positive purpose.

That is a bit of a stretch. This team could have been 12-0 if we had Florida's roster. We don't, and what you have stated didn't happen either, so why talk about it?

On the coaching front, who recruited him? He didn't offer himself a scholarship. Who coached him? Did we just tell him to get out there and figure it out? If we did, then this staff is worse than we could have imagined. This comes down to coaching. If he is as bad as you say, and he wasn't very good, then whose responsibility was it to find an alternative?

Not to mention the fact that were it not for the flood of interceptions and fumbles, we never would have been close enough to have to worry about the extra points and FG's. Having said that, the kicking game was just as awful as the passing game and the defense this year. Agreed, with a first rate kicker (we've had a few in the past), we win at least 2 or 3 of the ones we lost. However, if the offense hadn't screwed up so bad so many times at the most inopportune times those same games would have been blowouts in UNT's favor. Kicking game not required. Bottom line, UNT was fighting for last place in the NCAA all year and thank goodness we've had WKU every year to whip up on. We were able to beat the very worst. Woohoo!