Vito Report

Green Dozer

I think the decision to reassign Todge to OC and promote Deloach to HC has already been made. Not saying I agree with it, but I think we will hear that announced.

I have not heard this one or any thing this detailed, I would hope for a few more D1a coaches added to the coaching staff including a dedicated special teams coach, one that can coach kicking. I like Deloach and this scenario would not hurt my feelings much. But I don't know what I think about it, though it had occurred to me that Delaoch may be promoted.

Edited by KingDL1

Its just a feeling I get. This is Deloach's 2nd stint here. We have to continue in our recruiting, which has already been hurt by this year's record. Promoting him would just allow him to take over the recruiting duties. There's no basis for the post, just had a hunch and want to get it out there in case Im right, and I can claim that Im a psychic and maybe get a job BSing people over the phone. :lol:

you talked it over with rv and dr. b and it is ok with them? glad they consulted you.

No, actually they didnt. I would tell thim not to hire Deloach. Im not a fan of the 8 yard cushions (even on 3 and 1), attempted arm tackles, no blitzing, and not being able to defend a screen.

No, actually they didnt. I would tell thim not to hire Deloach. Im not a fan of the 8 yard cushions (even on 3 and 1), attempted arm tackles, no blitzing, and not being able to defend a screen.

I don't think that is Deloach's first choice, Dodge said before he does not like blitzing and I think we are lacking some personal to play tight very much.

Its just a feeling I get. This is Deloach's 2nd stint here. We have to continue in our recruiting, which has already been hurt by this year's record. Promoting him would just allow him to take over the recruiting duties. There's no basis for the post, just had a hunch and want to get it out there in case Im right, and I can claim that Im a psychic and maybe get a job BSing people over the phone. :lol:

This makes no sense. DeLoach isn't known as a recruiter, and the knock on Dodge has had nothing to do with his recruiting, at least not directly.

No way anything like Deloach being promoted or Gandy getting the job with Dodge staying on as OC ever happens. That would tear the team apart. If Dodge is gone, prepare for the rest of the staff to be gone as well. The only way anyone will be retained is if they interview with the new head coach and he hires them.

The new coach needs to pick his own staff. No high school coaches, please.

No way anything like Deloach being promoted or Gandy getting the job with Dodge staying on as OC ever happens. That would tear the team apart. If Dodge is gone, prepare for the rest of the staff to be gone as well. The only way anyone will be retained is if they interview with the new head coach and he hires them.

The new coach needs to pick his own staff. No high school coaches, please.

Amen. And I would object to anyone on the current coaching staff being promoted to HC. Including DeLoach and Gandy.

Dr. Becker usually sits in the lower section. BTW, I bumped into him a few weeks ago and he is taking a year off.

BCIS 4660 has never been so tough as it is this year. I like the guy, but man was that class a joke when he was teaching it.

Edited by mdh0192

Wow, thanks for pointing that out. Im suprised you're not on Mockingbird or Uptown "Ponying up" with an SMU alum trying to get June's addy.

They were actually WW I hallucinations. He was always hunting the Red Baron.

Thats funny as hell. Damn near fell out of my chair.

I think the decision to reassign Todge to OC and promote Deloach to HC has already been made. Not saying I agree with it, but I think we will hear that announced.

If true NT again goes for the cheapest not the best solution--more of the same.

Its just a feeling I get. There's no basis for the post, just had a hunch and want to get it out there in case Im right, and I can claim that Im a psychic and maybe get a job BSing people over the phone. :lol:

ok then, i just wanted to see if you really had facts and knew something or were just making stuff up.

I HAVE HAD SEASON TICKETS FOR A FEW YEARS NOW, AND IN NO WAY WAS THE ATTENDANCE DOWN THIS YEAR. WE HAD 23,000 FOR THE

ARMY GAME VS THE ARK STATE GAME LAST YEAR WHICH WAS ABOUT 11,000. ALSO, I WILL FOREVER BE A MEAN GREEN FAN, ALUMNI AND TORCHBEARER

NO MATTER WHAT. I CAN TRUELY SEE IMPROVEMENT THIS YEAR OVER LAST. CLOSER GAMES, LESS BLOWOUTS, AND YES, MORE HEARTBREAK,BUT AT LEAST

WE ARE IN A NUMBER OF GAMES TO THE END. JUST LOOK OHIO BEAT US BY ONE IN 2 O.T.'S. THEY HAVE A 9-3 RECORD. SO, I ONLY HOPE WE GIVE DODGE

ONE MORE YEAR TO SEE IF IT IS REALLY TURNING AROUND. I HOPE SO, IN ORDER FOR THE CONTINUOUS NEGATIVE FANS ON THIS BOARD SHUT UP!!!!!!!

I REMEMBER WHEN THE YEAR STARTED ALL WE HEARD FROM POSTERS WAS "I WILL BE HAPPY IF WE ARE IN MOST GAMES AND THEY ARE CLOSE". EVIDENTLY

THEY HAVEN'T NOTICED WE LOST SEVEN (7) GAMES BY SEVEN (7) OR FEWER POINTS. WHAT WAS IT LAST YEAR ABOUT 20 POINTS PER GAME. JUST CHECK.

ANYWAY, I WILL FOREVER BLEED GREEN. STAY THE COARSE.

I HAVE HAD SEASON TICKETS FOR A FEW YEARS NOW, AND IN NO WAY WAS THE ATTENDANCE DOWN THIS YEAR. WE HAD 23,000 FOR THE

ARMY GAME VS THE ARK STATE GAME LAST YEAR WHICH WAS ABOUT 11,000. ALSO, I WILL FOREVER BE A MEAN GREEN FAN, ALUMNI AND TORCHBEARER

NO MATTER WHAT. I CAN TRUELY SEE IMPROVEMENT THIS YEAR OVER LAST. CLOSER GAMES, LESS BLOWOUTS, AND YES, MORE HEARTBREAK,BUT AT LEAST

WE ARE IN A NUMBER OF GAMES TO THE END. JUST LOOK OHIO BEAT US BY ONE IN 2 O.T.'S. THEY HAVE A 9-3 RECORD. SO, I ONLY HOPE WE GIVE DODGE

ONE MORE YEAR TO SEE IF IT IS REALLY TURNING AROUND. I HOPE SO, IN ORDER FOR THE CONTINUOUS NEGATIVE FANS ON THIS BOARD SHUT UP!!!!!!!

I REMEMBER WHEN THE YEAR STARTED ALL WE HEARD FROM POSTERS WAS "I WILL BE HAPPY IF WE ARE IN MOST GAMES AND THEY ARE CLOSE". EVIDENTLY

THEY HAVEN'T NOTICED WE LOST SEVEN (7) GAMES BY SEVEN (7) OR FEWER POINTS. WHAT WAS IT LAST YEAR ABOUT 20 POINTS PER GAME. JUST CHECK.

So, you are saying that getting "close" in the third year is acceptable progress? It's not at most major programs, which is what we supposedly strive to be. Second, many of those losses appear to be the result of poor coaching, decision-making, etc. The bar has been set MIGHTY LOW, if you ask me and I have been a season ticket holder since the dawn of time and I've yet to see (in more than 45 years of following the Mean Green) such a sloppy performance overall as I have seen this year. I like Dodge and want him to succeed in the worst way, but personally see no evidence that next year will be any different.

Actually 11K for the Ark St. game during the Thanksgiving week-end, and at the end of one of UNT's worst seasons in history (2008) is not too bad. Scheduling Army for this time of year was a great idea, because we benefited from all the service people living in this area who came to the game. I wouldn't want to think about what the attendance would have been if we had scheduled one of the Florida schools.

BTW, complaining about the poor performance of a coach is EVERY fans right. Now, threatening to withhold support (attendance and money) is another matter.

As the long suffering fans who sit around me can testify, I choose to go to the game and let the coaching staff know that they are not meeting my expectations. To not attend the games, and keeping quiet about bad coaching only lets them, and the athletic dept staff, off the hook.

I think the decision on Coach Dodge could easily go either way and either keep/fire could be a correct one. If we could only see the future impact of both keep/fire, it would make the decison an easy one. Unfortunately, RV doesn't have that luxury. It is going to be a really tough call. For me, the following would be important considerations.

What we (or at least I) don't know is...

(1) what expectations were set for TD by RV at last year's evaluation and whether or not he met them--in all areas, not just wins

(2) what is the current feeling of the team about TD--do they still believe in him or has he lost them

(3) where do we really stand on our recruiting campaign for next year

(4) do we really have a strong, viable candidate out there that would keep us moving toward our goals without a 2-3 year delay or are we just letting our wishful thinking get the best of us

RV should be in a position to know these things, which makes him the best person to make the call one way or the other.....good luck RV ...you will not please about half the fans either way until your decision shows either in positive or negative results in 2-3 years

GO MEAN GREEN...40+ years of being a fan won't stop with either decision....the enjoyment of being a fan is all that hangs in the balance!

Calling people haters is stupid. Anyone who has stuck around for another pathetic year of Dodgeball is a loyal fan of UNT and a masochist.

No, it is actually accurate. There is a small group of posters on this board who hate TD, Riley and RV, just as they hated many of our previous coaches, athletic directors and administrators. They claim to support "North Texas," just none of the people who have worked there for the past 50 years. Everyone from JC Matthews through Lee Jackson and Dr B seems to be part of a giant conspiracy against "North Texas" that the haters support.

I notice many of the posters who complained about DD continuously running the ball to keep the clock moving and end games against the Oklahomas quickly also complain when TD tries pass after pass and makes the score look worse.

Scrappyman accurately pointed out that total attendance is up year over year. He also pointed out that many people see improvement from past years. According to the Morning News, that group includes RV. I note that RV points out that "You look at the number of close losses, even today, where we fought back. There are a lot of good changes in this team. Coach Dodge, the president and I will formulate a plan and go from there."

TD came in and had to clean the Augean Stables while turning around the program. He needed to win more games, but cleaning up was the more important job of the two.

Wha?!? Attendance was UP for a home game vs. Army as opposed to Arkie State?!? You're KIDDING ME!!! Well hell, we MUST be on the right track!!!

Using this post as the torchbearer for "logic and reason" = priceless.

No, it is actually accurate. There is a small group of posters on this board who hate TD, Riley and RV, just as they hated many of our previous coaches, athletic directors and administrators. They claim to support "North Texas," just none of the people who have worked there for the past 50 years. Everyone from JC Matthews through Lee Jackson and Dr B seems to be part of a giant conspiracy against "North Texas" that the haters support.

I notice many of the posters who complained about DD continuously running the ball to keep the clock moving and end games against the Oklahomas quickly also complain when TD tries pass after pass and makes the score look worse.

Scrappyman accurately pointed out that total attendance is up year over year. He also pointed out that many people see improvement from past years. According to the Morning News, that group includes RV. I note that RV points out that "You look at the number of close losses, even today, where we fought back. There are a lot of good changes in this team. Coach Dodge, the president and I will formulate a plan and go from there."

TD came in and had to clean the Augean Stables while turning around the program. He needed to win more games, but cleaning up was the more important job of the two.

First of all, I don't think you are including me in the elite group of "haters" that always show up and complain about everything.

Having said that however, I would like your brilliant insight about how our administration, starting with J.C. Matthews, has made great decisons about our athletic department that seem to escape the rest of us who have been watching North Texas football since at least the mid-60's.

I'll start, and you can fill in the rest. Since Odus Mitchell retired, the only GREAT decision that our administration has made about athletics was the hiring of Hayden Fry. And the person that made that decision (C.C "jitter" Nolan) was run off shortly after Fry left. After Fry left, the "old nesters" took back over, and the return to the old days quickly took over. The only GOOD decision that has been made since then was the hiring of Corky Nelson....after he applyed for the second time.

After that, it's been one brain fart after another by the administration at North Texas regarding athletics.....specifically football.