Denton's Willis Quits

Baby Arm!

SMU's Willis quits team

10:36 AM Thu, Aug 27, 2009 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz

Kate Hairopoulos/Reporter Bio | E-mail | News tips

The tumultuous saga of Justin Willis' SMU career has taken another turn. Willis apparently quit the team Tuesday after finding out he wouldn't be among the four first-team receivers. The starters will be Emmanuel Sanders, Aldrick Robinson, Terrance Wilkerson and Cole Beasley.

Willis had most recently rehabbed from suffering a spiral fracture in his right fibula, suffered during spring camp, so that he could play his senior season. His father Samuel was shot to death in late July.

"I feel bad for him because he's been through a lot of stuff, he's battled through it," SMU coach June Jones said. "But he just wasn't the same speed wise."

I talked to Willis after practice Monday morning for a story about all he's been through at SMU. He was optimistic about what he's learned through all the challenges. He said then that he didn't know what he would do without football.

During his career, he was twice suspended in high-profile situations, became a father and went from the posterboy quarterback of the program to a back-up receiver in Jones' system.

Jones said Willis has told several teammates he's done with football.

"I hate to see him to do that but he's dealing with a lot of different things right now," Jones said. "He's one of my favorite guys just the way he's handled himself, worked hard. I hate to see guys quit."

Why? He's pretty much worthless.

That's harsh. He was a very good QB in high school and should have been a nice QB in college. Unfortunately, he was at sucky SMU, plus he got caught up in a coaching change. Not unlike Daniel Meager.

Not to mention his dad just got killed. Cut him some slack (not that he's reading this........)

Would you be dedicated to a team that changes your position? And think SMU was not the only school going after him, so part of it is the "what if factor"

Think of it this way. JW is tied for SMU's all time leading TD passes after just 2 seasons ( tied with some guy who was there for like 7 years ) and he led them to a 6 -6 record ( best in like 20 years.. i think ) , but a new coach comes to town and says , No your not good enough to play QB here.

Bradley Haynes is not starting either ?? Come home and transfer to UNT , we will get you on the field.

This is very sad news if true. To be so close to finishing his career. Life is not all about football as it comes and goes so quickly in the grand scheme of life. Having been in the business world in Dallas for almost 30 years, I know the value ex SMU athletes have in the business community. There are plenty of successful SMU alums in the local business world who love to hire one of their own (especially athletes). Having the label of "quitter" could and may lessen his career marketability. If anyone knows him or someone in his family, please do what you can to talk him out of this if not too late!! He needs to consider what his Father would want him to do. What his fan base would want him to do. This is a serious decision.

This is very sad news if true. To be so close to finishing his career. Life is not all about football as it comes and goes so quickly in the grand scheme of life. Having been in the business world in Dallas for almost 30 years, I know the value ex SMU athletes have in the business community. There are plenty of successful SMU alums in the local business world who love to hire one of their own (especially athletes). Having the label of "quitter" could and may lessen his career marketability. If anyone knows him or someone in his family, please do what you can to talk him out of this if not too late!! He needs to consider what his Father would want him to do. What his fan base would want him to do. This is a serious decision.

Very well written. Mistakes in youth follow you the rest of your life.