Enjoy Your Suvs And Pickups While You Can

I think it is crap that the government can tell us, essentially, what kind of vehicles we can drive. however the truck market makes too much money, the auto manufacturers are going to have to step their game up and figure out a way to make it work.

Perhaps the biggest truck you will be able to buy will be a ranger or s-10 type, perhaps they will go to an all hybrid and active fuel management type of setup. But don't forget that CAFE standards reflect the average of the entire fleet of vehicles for any one brand. I am going to bet that there is going to be a huge increase in 40-50mpg cars and that the trucks are going to get better mileage perhaps even 28-30 or so.

Trucks aren't going anywhere. That is the beauty of free market system, even if it is being lorded over by a increasingly overbearing federal government, the customers and the market dictate what the companies produce not the government. That is how money and wealth is created, leave it to the market!

I'm not sure I see the problem here - I think vehicles should be made to be more energy efficient and really, we haven't pushed the limits of what gasoline can do. I mean, it's basically a really inefficient fuel source where only a small percentage of it actually goes to power the vehicle and the rest is lost in a rather backwards combustion process. If the automakers want to save their big vehicles, then they need to get the technology to make them run better.

Blam:

http://www.israel21c.org/bin/en.jsp?enDisp...enZone=Profiles

Kid's device basically improves the way air makes its way into the combustion process. It makes the vehicle less polluting, more powerful, and more fuel efficient. It's like the difference between running at lower elevation and higher elevation - your lungs and body work better overall with the higher oxygen density at lower altitudes. But when you go even an extra 1000ft up, your body isn't nearly as efficient and won't have the same level of endurance.

And at the bottom of the article - Ford and other automakers are in talks with this kid to license his design.

Why the hell would anyone need a pickup or SUV? Once Obama takes all the guns away, we won't need the vehicle space for gun racks.

A gun rack... a gun rack. I don't even own A gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack. What am I gonna do... with a gun rack?

convenient of course is that Obama is not requiring the standards in place until 2016, just in time for dear leader MaObama to slink off into the sun set unless he does a constitutional amendment. Basically leaving the problem for the next president.

convenient of course is that Obama is not requiring the standards in place until 2016, just in time for dear leader MaObama to slink off into the sun set unless he does a constitutional amendment. Basically leaving the problem for the next president.

He'll be out of office long before 2016.

I think it is crap that the government can tell us, essentially, what kind of vehicles we can drive. however the truck market makes too much money, the auto manufacturers are going to have to step their game up and figure out a way to make it work.

Perhaps the biggest truck you will be able to buy will be a ranger or s-10 type, perhaps they will go to an all hybrid and active fuel management type of setup. But don't forget that CAFE standards reflect the average of the entire fleet of vehicles for any one brand. I am going to bet that there is going to be a huge increase in 40-50mpg cars and that the trucks are going to get better mileage perhaps even 28-30 or so.

Trucks aren't going anywhere. That is the beauty of free market system, even if it is being lorded over by a increasingly overbearing federal government, the customers and the market dictate what the companies produce not the government. That is how money and wealth is created, leave it to the market!

The problem with this is that the 40-50MPG cars out today aren't selling... when gas was $4.00 per gallon, yeah, it was waiting list time. Now go to Toyota or Chevy and you can PICK the Hybrid you want off the lot. All things being equal, when Gas isn't $4 per gallon, people want space, safety and power. ...nevermind the deathtoll associated with this bill - and rest assured, people WILL die as a result of this mandate - people, by and large, don't want to drive pissants. ...and you look at the increase in milage active fuel management or hybrid systems in a fullsize car or truck gain you and you find it isn't much.

All this is being done over junk science and the biggest hoax of the ages - global warming.

When the car industry needs it the least. Detroits only hope is that enough gains are made by the other side in the next two elections to slow this train down.

...and if you want to drive something bigger or more powerful than a Kia Rio, I suggest you buy it in the next couple of years.

The problem with this is that the 40-50MPG cars out today aren't selling... when gas was $4.00 per gallon, yeah, it was waiting list time. Now go to Toyota or Chevy and you can PICK the Hybrid you want off the lot. All things being equal, when Gas isn't $4 per gallon, people want space, safety and power. ...nevermind the deathtoll associated with this bill - and rest assured, people WILL die as a result of this mandate - people, by and large, don't want to drive pissants. ...and you look at the increase in milage active fuel management or hybrid systems in a fullsize car or truck gain you and you find it isn't much.

All this is being done over junk science and the biggest hoax of the ages - global warming.

When the car industry needs it the least. Detroits only hope is that enough gains are made by the other side in the next two elections to slow this train down.

...and if you want to drive something bigger or more powerful than a Kia Rio, I suggest you buy it in the next couple of years.

All that matters is that they are available. The Coprpoate Average Fuel Econoy or CAFE stands do not take into account what is selling, only what is available. This is a stupid move at an even more rediculous time but the market must adapt. It always has. I can imagine chevy with three 50+ mpg cars just so the avg mpg for the corporation is higher.

Obama has essentially signed the death certificate of American car makers if they cannot cope. I have faith that they will. And the truck is not going anywhere. Besides how many prius's would it take to help someone move a sofa?

Interesting discussion. I've noticed something interesting myself. Whilst looking at some classic PU's (50's early 60's), I noticed that most of the 1/2 ton trucks produced during that era were about the size of a current Ford Ranger or Toyota tacoma....maybe even smaller. Rarely did they have V-8's, and I don't think any of them were made with an eye toward family motoring. Also, fwd trucks were pretty rare, and when you had one, it was definitely for work.

I also find it interesting how our trucks and our collective asses have gotten much bigger since those days.

--The liberals want to ban your SUVs, guns, and everything pertaining to global warming....... and the conservatives want to ban your beer, whiskey, playing cards, Vegas, bikinis, and sex in general.

Life is tough. ....LOL ....

I'm pretty conservative and I darn sure do not want to ban beer, whisky, playing cards, Vegas, bikinis or sex in general. Why can't the liberals leave "my stuff" alone? I'm helping them out here! :lol::lol: Life ain't tough, it the politicians who want to make you think it is! :huh: Life is fun...MEAN GREEN FOOTBALL and BEER!!!!!

I'm pretty conservative and I darn sure do not want to ban beer, whisky, playing cards, Vegas, bikinis or sex in general. Why can't the liberals leave "my stuff" alone? I'm helping them out here! :lol::lol: Life ain't tough, it the politicians who want to make you think it is! :huh: Life is fun...MEAN GREEN FOOTBALL and BEER!!!!!

There have been two alcohol related elections in Frisco this decade. One was to allow the sale of beer and wine for off premise consumption, the other to allow on premise sites to remain open until 2AM. You have no idea how bitter it got around here. The public smear campaigns against those in support of the measures was something out of a Kafka novel. You personally may not want to ban the vices, but as a group, whoa howdy!

So it really comes down to liberals wanting to control your environment and body and conservatives wanting to control your mind and morals. Neither is the job of the government IMO.

There have been two alcohol related elections in Frisco this decade. One was to allow the sale of beer and wine for off premise consumption, the other to allow on premise sites to remain open until 2AM. You have no idea how bitter it got around here. The public smear campaigns against those in support of the measures was something out of a Kafka novel. You personally may not want to ban the vices, but as a group, whoa howdy!

So it really comes down to liberals wanting to control your environment and body and conservatives wanting to control your mind and morals. Neither is the job of the government IMO.

A ridiculous post.

Nobody on here has read Kafka

Here's the latest on GM:

NEW YORK, May 19 (Reuters) - General Motors Corp's (GM.N) plan for a bankruptcy filing involves a quick sale of the company's healthy assets to a new company initially owned by the U.S. government.

The government's plans include giving stakes in the new company to GM's union and bondholders, although the ownership structure of the company is still being negotiated, said the source who is familiar with the company's plans.

In addition, the government would extend a credit line to the new company and forgive the bulk of the $15.4 billion in emergency loans that the U.S. has already provided to GM, the source said.

=====================================

Congratulations, Obama supporters. Your hero is about to nationalize one of the biggest U.S. companies. GM will never recover from this, they'll produce Moskvitch-like vehicles that will get 50 MPG but will crumple like a used tissue if you hit a runaway shopping cart.