New Utsa Head Football Coach Is

Mo Green

**WARNING**

HIGHJACK IN PROGRESS:

Speaking of Shiner, anyone tried the Shiner 100 and care to give a critique?

Yes, I bought a 6-pack and all but one are gone. It's smoother than their usual dark beer, and not too heavy, but it's still just a bit too hoppy (ie?) for me. Beware, it's also 6.7%alc by volume....and it feels like it.

Yes, I bought a 6-pack and all but one are gone. It's smoother than their usual dark beer, and not too heavy, but it's still just a bit too hoppy (ie?) for me. Beware, it's also 6.7%alc by volume....and it feels like it.

Hoppy would be a more bitter beer. I found this one is more malty. Higher alcohol beers usually are. More malt makes for higher alcohol.

Yeah - people who promise new web sites on a specific time line and fail miserably at reaching those deadlines should be crucified! CRUCIFIED I SAY!

Along with North Texas football prospects who struggle with the all important SAT and ACT tests?

About a North Texas signing Lonnie was bashing.

Edited by eulessismore

Did someone say Shiner?

Since December, I have tried the Holiday brew they made, the wheat beer (Hefeweizen ?sp?), the 100 and the Black Lager. The 100 is very nice (tastes like a "tweener" between the regular Shiner Bock and the Black Lager).

In the last few weeks I have taken to downing a Black Lager when I hit the door, then chasing it with a Bock after dinner. I just checked and I do have a 100 Commemorator in the fridge, so I will sacrifice it after the post...purely for testing purposes.

You guys are looking at our hire against UTSA. UTSA students chose to "tax" themselves for the highest athletic fee possible a few years ago. When Dodge was hired, we were paying off Dickey's buyout and trying to find a coach that we could afford. Want to know who to blame for having to find a coach on a budget? How about - blame ourselves. When the students rejected the first athletic fee - the alumni did not jump in and subsidize that potential income with donations... they just screamed about how the students were apathetic. We have had ZERO "extra" money to hire anyone. People on here scream that we lost out on Harbaugh. Harbaugh was hired that year for a half million a year. We never even had a chance to get him, he simply interviewed and I would bet that once he found out that we were willing to pay at the most $200K, was never a cosideration.

The facts are - this program has had to hire coaches that we could afford. With no athletic fee to speak of and a $3 dollar supplemental fee being used to pay for Title IX upgrades along with the Athletic Center - and a Dickey buyout on the books for the next 3 years - the only path that NT could have gone down was the afford route. We went with the affordable gamble that could get us the most media coverage and most local support. It worked initially. It still may work. When real Div I programs let a coach go, the alumni pay for the buyout and raise money for the new coach (see SMU) - not at North Texas. Our fans get on the one fan meesage board and bitch and moan about how our athletic director can't hire a coach. You get what you pay for and our fan base has not paid for shit.

You guys are looking at our hire against UTSA. UTSA students chose to "tax" themselves for the highest athletic fee possible a few years ago. When Dodge was hired, we were paying off Dickey's buyout and trying to find a coach that we could afford. Want to know who to blame for having to find a coach on a budget? How about - blame ourselves. When the students rejected the first athletic fee - the alumni did not jump in and subsidize that potential income with donations... they just screamed about how the students were apathetic. We have had ZERO "extra" money to hire anyone. People on here scream that we lost out on Harbaugh. Harbaugh was hired that year for a half million a year. We never even had a chance to get him, he simply interviewed and I would bet that once he found out that we were willing to pay at the most $200K, was never a cosideration.

The facts are - this program has had to hire coaches that we could afford. With no athletic fee to speak of and a $3 dollar supplemental fee being used to pay for Title IX upgrades along with the Athletic Center - and a Dickey buyout on the books for the next 3 years - the only path that NT could have gone down was the afford route. We went with the affordable gamble that could get us the most media coverage and most local support. It worked initially. It still may work. When real Div I programs let a coach go, the alumni pay for the buyout and raise money for the new coach (see SMU) - not at North Texas. Our fans get on the one fan meesage board and bitch and moan about how our athletic director can't hire a coach. You get what you pay for and our fan base has not paid for shit.

I have to agree with you. However, a couple of things: (1.)I'm doing somewhat better now financially than in the past, so hope to do better, though still in a modest way, (2.) I'm thinking what you mentioned about Dickey's payout may have been based on what the facts were at the time we hired Dodge. How much longer will we be paying off Dickey?

You can even get Shiner in North Carolina now which pleases me to no end. There is also a NC Bar-B-Q (pork with vinegar based sauce) restaurant in Durham that has it on tap!

I just bought a six pack of Shiner Blonde. I wonder if Corker likes that too?

You can even get Shiner in North Carolina now which pleases me to no end. There is also a NC Bar-B-Q (pork with vinegar based sauce) restaurant in Durham that has it on tap!

I just bought a six pack of Shiner Blonde. I wonder if Corker likes that too?

I heard you can get it on-tap while on the Duke campus now. What a world.

• 5 years later...

Amazing. A school with no team yet scores a former national title winning coach.

We really are stupid at North Texas. We've got people pooh-poohing a school that will jump past us in, probably, less than five years of existence.

Guys like Schnellenberger, Leavitt, and Coker sign onto non-existent teams. We've been at it for 100+ years and have hired two high school coaches in 15 years (Parker in 91, Dodge in 06).

No one sleeps at the wheel like our leaderships. If Texas State...nevermind...when Texas State...forget it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Look at you little buckaroo! Instead of pulling up just this one post I think we would all benefit from a greatest hits thread, collecting all of your pearls of wisdom.

F_ck all of this negativity around here. Game Day is almost upon us. Holy crap I am excited. Finishing my work day and will be making the trek from Houston to Denton shortly. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• Upvote 2

Funny, the day after UTSA drops to 1-1 with a 26-23 loss to Arizona, at the Alamodome, we have posts predicting that the American and MW conferences are probably noticing the job Coker is doing there with UTSA, the allure of San Antonio as a market, the support of the city and students that so many here said would not occur.

And, to go back and read about how many thought Larry Coker was an absolute dud as a hire, somehow stumbling his way to success, "ruining" the Miami program. It's as laughable now as it was then.

Looking back at these posts and the time period - two consecutive horrible seasons under Dodge - you can't help but be thankful that we do now have Apogee to help with recruiting, and that Rick did hire an experienced head coach in McCarney, who has cobbled together a great, experienced staff.

Interesting five year look back, no? We were a very lost program back then. Now, we are on the right path. And, unfortunately for the Coker haters, so is UTSA.

The question now is, will UTSA, if they win the C-USun Belt and a bowl game, get invited into the Mountain West or American? And, if they do, what kind of epic meltdown will result on this board?

It is not far-fetched. Remember, Coker also was up the SMU job when Bennett was run. And, he still has his old Tulsa ties. To say that, at minimum, SMU and Tulsa would be lobbying for UTSA, is a given.

Further, I bet Houston would also lobby for them. It would give the American a nice grouping of Tulsa, SMU, Houston, Tulane, and UTSA to form the basis of a West Division with what would then be a 12-team AAC. I'm guessing they'd move Memphis into that group as well to complete a six-team West, leaving the East as Central Florida, South Florida, East Carolina, Temple, UConn, and Cincinnati.

Not bad. Looks a lot like the old C-USA, huh?

Everyone still pleased with Banowsky? Anyone else wonder what kind of leverage he will have when bowl contracts are being renewed based on the last and latest conference shifts? Is Banowsky awake?

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

And, who replaces UTSA if they leave: Texas State or...or. or. or...ever-rising Abilene Christian?

Things are happening. We are not part of the Criminal 5 conferences. But, things are still happening that our administration, athletic department, and Banowsky need to be pro-active about.

LMFAO!!!!

• Downvote 1

And, here is my thinking/wishing/hoping about the whole thing:

(1) If we and UTSA both win 8 or 9 games, and make bowl games, we need need to seriously be lobbying for a jump to the American as well.

(2) Don't give me the "SMU will block it crap" because they are already scheduled to play us for 10 years anyway.

(3) Be in contact with UTSA now - NOW, like yesterday or last month - to form a bond to propose to the American that we both be taken.

(4) This conference we are in, face facts, it isn't the C-USA we thought we'd be joining. We cannot be content with it. We cannot fool ourselves into thinking the bowl contracts will all be renewed when the power players of the C-USA abandoned and formed a new conference. This conference is not a leader, it's a follower.

As with all of my posts - then, now, and forever - hear me now, and believe me later...or, resign yourself to the cold, hard fact that in two or three years, we could be stuck in a conference with Texas State, New Mexico State, and Abilene Christian.

Anyone know whether the nightlife in Abilene has picked up lately? Any bars or restaurants within walking distance of old Shotwell Stadium?

Yes. And, when my nephew visited the campus at UTSA last year, it was depressing to think that UTSA is really a four year college. It really, really looks like an overgrown community college.

But, I think now more than ever, even the most hard-hearted UTSA-haters must accept the reality that it isn't enough to just sit back and make fun of them, hoping that they will lose. That isn't likely to occur much.

Like the leaders of 3,000 undergrad Tulsa that somehow remains FBS, our leaders must...LEAD! Our leadership has got to drive the action, not wait on dullards like Banowsky to drive us further into the ditch.

We have the facilities now. We have a great coaching staff in place. We CANNOT let all of the forward momentum be carried into becoming conference mates with Texas State, New Mexico State,and ACU. We just can't.

Stop pooh-poohing UTSA's athletic department and try to join forces with it to escape to something better. The hard work and sacrifice that resulted in Apogee and the hiring of McCarney...our leadership can't flush that down the toilet by being reactive to the scenery. We must set the scenery, not be a part of it.

In short, it's time for us to take off the white hat of the good guys, going along to get along, and put on the black hat of "doing what's best for us" even if it means leaving our old Sun Belt pals again...for the second time.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Andrew Luck is a future clipboard holder in the NFL, shaping up to be a Ryan Leaf type pick. Brandon Weeden was no different and arguably a better prospect than either RG3 or Luck, and Trent Richardson was the clearest slam dunk pick in the 2012 NFL draft.

(I still think you're pretty swell, Carnac)