Emergency On-campus

Boomer23

Not sure what's going on but there are many emergency response vehicles at the chemistry building.

Last count was about 2 Ambulance, 4 Police, 4 emergency response and about 5 or 6 Fire Engines.

From the North Texas Daily

A two-alarm fire broke out in a cabinet on the second floor of the Chemistry Building on Wednesday night, prompting the arrival of four fire trucks and emergency vehicles, Denton Fire Department officials said.

There appeared to be no injuries and there were no witnesses to the actual fire, said Ken Gold, Denton Fire Department Battalion Chief.

Witnesses working in the building said smoke filled the second floor and came out vents on the side of the building facing Hickory Street.

Jason Halbert, a chemistry senior, worked late in a building lab when the alarm sounded.

"I never would have thought to expect a fire in this building," he said.

The extent of the smoke damage is unknown at this point, but the sprinkler system activated immediately and managed to contain the fire, Gold said.

The cause of the fire is unknown at this point but Capt. Mike Ball said it appeared to be chemical-related.

"When you get a bunch of chemicals together, there is always a chance for fire," he said.

Crews extinguished the fire by 10:46 p.m. Officials have yet to review the damage to assess why the fire started, Gold said.

Jason Halbert, a chemistry senior, worked late in a building lab when the alarm sounded.

"I never would have thought to expect a fire in this building," he said.

What a brilliant comment!! I don't know who I am more impressed with - Jason Halbert for his less that obvious observation (I mean the logical assumption is that mixing sometimes flamable chemicals would surely never be the source of a fire) or the NT Daily reporter for actually publishing the quote.

LOL...wow, that one slipped right by me. Good catch....WTH is a "chemisty senior" anyway?? Maybe we should start sending the NTDaily into Jay Leno for his headlines segment??

Thats the NT Daily style.. "major classification" has to go with every student mentioned.

For sports its "classification position"

So in this case the guy was a chemistry major and he is a senior

I love me some Kelly Kapowski.