Catching Up With Gio

Brett Vito

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We spent a couple of minutes on the phone talking about his time at UNT in the first interview he has given that I know of in which he has talked about his experiences at UNT and his feelings about his time with the Mean Green in depth.

The story will be in tomorrow's Denton Record-Chronicle.

That could be interesting.

So, did Vito start working on this story, call the AD for comment/response, get none and use the Jan. Dodge quote.

Then, as Vito prepping it, Troy somehow decides to do something quick with no direct sources probably just out of the blue.

The local media love/hate triangle is so cute. At least until the layoffs start.

I don't know if I've ever seen this kind of follow up from a beat writer on a player that left in such a cloud of smoke.

It's always cool to read about alumni that are doing well, or left in good standing. But this is..."weird" (KRAM! "shoutout")

Still, I wish him the best and glad Gio is being so PC about it all.

So, did Vito start working on this story, call the AD for comment/response, get none and use the Jan. Dodge quote.

Then, as Vito prepping it, Troy somehow decides to do something quick with no direct sources probably just out of the blue.

The local media love/hate triangle is so cute. At least until the layoffs start.

Hey, at least we have two writers from competing papers covering our program. That's more than the Rangers can say, now that the FWST and DMN have combined resources.

We scoreboard the Rangers! woo hoo!!

I wonder where this will actually laed with regard to Gio's "career" as a college QB? I wish him well...now, on with the show! The king is dead, long live the king!!!! UNT will have a better team in 2009. Count on it!

GO MEAN GREEN!

Who cares what community college classes the losingest quarterback in UNT history is taking? What are Riley Dodge's thoughts now that he has been cast in a leading role?

Zing. :blowup:

I am surprised there has not been a "Riley are you healed and ready for the upcoming season as starter?" story. That would make a good lead up to spring practice.

Who cares what community college classes the losingest quarterback in UNT history is taking? What are Riley Dodge's thoughts now that he has been cast in a leading role?

He thinks Mean Green fans should all take those pictures of Gio out of our wallets. Because he's our new love, like it or not.

Yes, because it's quite obvious that Gio is to blame for the lack of defense, special teams, blocking, and credible offensive gameplan. It was all on his shoulders to somehow pull the mess up from a coaching staff laden with high school coaches who didn't (and still don't) understand the Division I game.

Yes, even though Todd Dodge admitted that he underestimated the speed and quickness of the defensive backs at this level, it's Gio's fault that Dodge didn't know how to prepare him for it and create a scheme to account for it. And, further, that Todd Dodge was going to "personally" help coach the special teams, but they still didn't improv, Gio is to blame for the field position disasters Dodge's "personal attention" to the special teams caused.

It was all on Gio to:

(1) Hire competent, college-level coaches,

(2) Come up with a blocking scheme using only five players since tight ends and fullbacks were moved to other positions to suit the "genius" of Dodge's offense,

(3) Teach the kick- and punt-returners how to properly field punts,

(4) Teach the place kickers how to kick extra-points,

(5) Make sure Eddrick Gilmore went to all of his classes and passed them so he could be with the team for the whole season,

(6) Make the decision to kick field goals instead of going for touchdowns when inside the red zone and trailing by several scores,

(7) Come up with a defensive game plan to compensate for the high school defensive line coach,

(8) Teach the defensive backs to play man against the likes of OU's Malcolm Kelly,

(9) Teach the defensive backs to cover anyone, at anytime, in any game for more than a handful of plays,

(10) Teach linebackers to have enough gap discipline to stop the opponents' run games,

(11) Teach the defensive ends how to pass rush since the defensive backs couldn't cover a dead cat with a 20 square foot blanket,

(12) Teach the entire defense how to take proper pursuit angles,

(13) Teach the entire defense proper tackling technique in case they ever accidentally stumbled into the correct pursuit angle,

(14) Teach the offensive line not to jump before the snap count,

(15) Condition the squad in the off-season so that they'd be competitive in every quarter of every game each season,

(16) Make sure more than two receivers per game were ready to play in the pass-based, spread offense,

(17) And, make sure none of his teammates on the sideline were cussing during the game within earshot of the receivers' coach.

Am I missing anything? Oh, yeah. Conduct and supervise study hall, lead the stadium fund drive and come up with a plan to solve the national economic crisis while talking North Korea and Iran into abandoning their nuclear weapons programs.

Yes, the losing seasons are all to be pinned on Gio because the "genius" gameplanning of the high school coach and his staff had us in every game, down to the wire. I mean, just look at the scores. We were just a play here and there from winning enough games to win our piddly, little conference and go to a bowl game, right?

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch