Breaking News -- Vizza To Transfer

Brett Vito

I, for one, couldn't be more proud of my Godson Gio...

He saw the writing on the wall, caught on to the fact that the ship was sinking, and got out before it was too late. Quite simply, this move essentially sums up everything you need to know about Todd Dodge...and that is the following: he needs to be relieved of his job before he destroys North Texas football beyond repair.

And, to those that say NT needs to give Dodge time to get "his guys" in there...what happens when all of the first group of "his guys" have transferred or quit? How long will it take then?

I, for one, couldn't be more proud of my Godson Gio...

He saw the writing on the wall, caught on to the fact that the ship was sinking, and got out before it was too late. Quite simply, this move essentially sums up everything you need to know about Todd Dodge...and that is the following: he needs to be relieved of his job before he destroys North Texas football beyond repair.

And, to those that say NT needs to give Dodge time to get "his guys" in there...what happens when all of the first group of "his guys" have transferred or quit? How long will it take then?

A sad day indeed! And how long will it take UNT to sign another quality Italian quarterback? Best of luck to Gio whereever he lands.

Well, that's one less computer wallpaper to make this summer...

So true.

Dodge needs to answer some big questions to the Mean Green Nation.

Why - he doesn't think anything is wrong.

I am updating my prediction for next season. I thought we would be lucky to win 3-4 games next season, but considering we will be starting a QB that hasn't played D1 football from the QB position, I am revising it to 1-2 wins. In fact, I won't be shocked if this team goes winless.

So sad.

I'll say the same thing about him that I said about dibrell. QUITTER. Take your ball and go home baby. Sorry everything didn't go your way here, hope you just walk out on every other commitment you make in life. Your wife will rest easy with your ideas of commitment. Things are hard and don't go your way, and you bail. Glad your letter of intent had a prenupt. I don't understand and I won't forgive your actions just cause things suck. There is something to be said for fighting adversity every chance you can. You had two more years to attempt to turn it around and you threw up the duece. I wish you could learn a little class from the dude you replaced, who kept fighting even though the circumstances may not have been fair. I wasn't a meager fan but I sympathize with his situation. Thanks for wasting the last half of his career. Don't climb in my foxhole buddy. When the situation gets bad I'm gonna need someone to watch my back.

Bring it apologists.

Bingo.... Bango......Bongo!!

I hope Gio has fun wherever he goes. I will certainly miss his fullback like resistance to slide from danger. I guess his willingness to take a hit made him a great leader.... but he was not a great QB. He can thank the man that many say he hates for every record he has accumulated because they were not because of Vizza's talent, rather Dodge's system.

:mellow:

Edited by Green P1

Bingo.... Bango......Bongo!!

I hope Gio has fun wherever he goes. I will certainly miss his fullback like resistance to slide from danger. I guess his willingness to take a hit made him a great leader.... but he was not a great QB.

Decent post...but its lacking something

I guess we all knew this was coming, but it's still disappointing.

I love his play as a QB, but I still think he's a quitter.

Just a question, as I really have no info on this, but what if he was going to get benched next season for Riley no matter what? No matter how good he played or was, Riley was going to get the nod at QB? Wouldn't you transfer?

It hurts to say it, but he is too good for North Texas right now.

Okay, I think this might be a little bit much. The guy showed that he is a fierce competitor and wants badly to win. He made some really nice plays in his time here. However, to say he is too good for us is typical North Texas mentality. The guy floated more passes and threw more interceptions than I've seen in a long time. I understand that he was never fully protected and that the offensive scheme was obviously "high school" for lack of a better term. He has his strengths, don't get me wrong. But decision making under pressure was never one of them in my opinion.

I would have liked to have seen what he would have done as a junior and a senior and with a more experienced line, but good luck wherever he ends up.

Just a question, as I really have no info on this, but what if he was going to get benched next season for Riley no matter what? No matter how good he played or was, Riley was going to get the nod at QB? Wouldn't you transfer?

Well, if that's true, I guess I would agree he is not necessarily a quitter. Just a liar.

Vizza emphasized that his decision was not influenced by the arrival of Riley Dodge, the son of Todd Dodge.

Horrible news. We now go into next season with no one on the roster with any substantial experience at the QB position. Worse yet, this is going to devastate this year's recruiting class. This tells me that this program is out of control and Dodge either A) Has no idea what is going on with his starting QB or B. Thinks that a 5' 9" 170 lbs. redshirt freshman with no D1 QB experience is a better option than Vizza. The first option means he should be fired. The second option means he should be fired.

Looking forward to a great season of tailgating followed by being out of every game by the second quarter.

New prediction is 0-12. Dodge gone after game 8.

Yes, I'm P@#$$ed!!!

Edited by UNT90

Okay, I think this might be a little bit much. The guy showed that he is a fierce competitor and wants badly to win. He made some really nice plays in his time here. However, to say he is too good for us is typical North Texas mentality. The guy floated more passes and threw more interceptions than I've seen in a long time. I understand that he was never fully protected and that the offensive scheme was obviously "high school" for lack of a better term. He has his strengths, don't get me wrong. But decision making under pressure was never one of them in my opinion.

I would have liked to have seen what he would have done as a junior and a senior and with a more experienced line, but good luck wherever he ends up.

As I said in my previous post.... Too many people confused his willingness(almost to the level of stupidity) to take a hit with qualities of greatness and leadership. In reality, he was a marginally accurate QB who made terrible decisions and could only complete passes on a consistent basis to one receiver(who luckily had enough talent to catch whatever garbage made it near him.) Every single one of his records could and would have had Tune's or Meager's name attached to them had they been the ones on the field.

To the people who wish to downgrade the level of talent of our young WR corps...... Why was none of the blame for their lack of production thrown at Gio's feet? Maybe some of their lack of production was due to Gio running head first into LBs then floating passes that were catchable...... but only if you're as good as Fitz.

I happen to believe that Rodge will be a damn fine QB and if he's not I'll take my lumps..... Am I the onlyone curious to see what this offense could be with a consistently accurate passer pulling the trigger back there?

Edited by Green P1

As I said in my previous post.... Too many people confused his willingness(almost to the level of stupidity) to take a hit with qualities of greatness and leadership. In reality, he was a marginally accurate QB who made terrible decisions and could only complete passes on a consistent basis to one receiver(who luckily had enough talent to catch whatever garbage made it near him.) Every single one of his records could and would have had Tune's or Meager's name attached to them had they been the ones on the field.

To the people who wish to downgrade the level of talent of our young WR corps...... Why was none of the blame for their lack of production thrown at Gio's feet? Maybe some of their lack of production was due to Gio running head first into LBs then floating passes that were catchable...... but only if you're as good as Fitz.

I happen to believe that Rodge will be a damn fine QB and if he's not I'll take my lumps..... Am I the onlyone curious to see what this offense could be with a consistently accurate passer pulling the trigger back there?

WOW!

Folks, stop the personal attacks or I while start swinging the ban hammer like Khrushchev pounding a podium.

( In other words: with a shoe while screaming Мы вас похороним! )

What a fun day to be you!

Are the other mods just going to let you handle this until the smoke clears because you've been so scarce lately?

Can't say I'm surprised. Dodge needs to go back to coaching kids, because that is all that he appears to be capable of doing. He doesn't seem to be able to make the transition from kids to adults, and IMO the players are obviously not happy with him. I wish he would just go away and end this nightmare that he has created.

Sad. Very sad.

Chris Ault offered this kid out of high school. He had real talent and a real coach would have developed it more by now. Now, a real coaching staff will get the opportunity to develop it.

You hear the word spread with alot of college programs, but their coaches all have brains in their heads. Florida, OU, Texas, Boise State...you name it. All run some form of the spread, all still employ the tight end and fullbacks both for running and for protecting the QB. Todd Dodge and high school coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball didn't change nor were they going to.

Therefore, there was no need for Vizza to keep taking needless poundings. That Dodge and his merry band of high school coaches don't know how to coach college football had already been proven.

And, the deluded keep following along. No changes in the coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball despite two failed seasons. The same high school offensive coordinator. The same high school receivers coach. The same failed scheme.

That, my friends, is what we have in store for 2009. Garbage, pure garbage at this level. The kids on the team deserve better.... And, the longsuffering fanbase deserves better. The status quo will not do!

Good luck, Giovanni. You'll do much better elsewhere. And, you'll still have many fans in Denton.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

I guess we all knew this was coming, but it's still disappointing.

I love his play as a QB, but I still think he's a quitter.

That about sums it up for me, too.

Only thing I'll add is that I get the feeling that a few of the more "influential" posters on this board are a tad bit too tied in to all the "drama" on this team to see things clearly. To say that someone is "too good" for UNT is just one ridiculous example. Screw that. If a player (in this case Vizza) really believes that this is a program that cannot win, then it cannot. It's a self-fulfilling prophesy. B/c of that, I'll have to agree with this post and Flyer's, "no big loss" comment.

Sorry to disappoint you but I go to Tech. I played hs ball and saw several games when I could. Gio is better off gone from a shit hole program than to stick around another year. I am not knocking the school just the football program. UNT football is the pits.

Does this mean we've heard the last from you?

It hurts to say it, but he is too good for North Texas right now.

Too good for North Texas? Please, let's try to keep perspective and understand the ridiulousness of this post.

I have a question:

It was reported that Vizza was on the Rice sideline during the Texas Bowl. Is this some sort of recruiting violation?

The kid had his reasons, I don't agree with walking out on your teammates, but I wish him well.

Many knew this was coming ever since the "Drug Test" back in Novemeber.

Question is, if many on this board knew he was leaving, how could Dodge not know?????

I have stated my Opionion on Dodge before...arrogant, stubborn and unwilling to admit he is wrong.

History shows us that HS to college is too big of a jump for a coach (See Gerry Faust)

I along with others where laughed off this board for suggesting Jim Harbaugh was the best choice for this gig....

While Jim Harbaugh is interviewing for the NY Jets job, we get this mess....

"We shall reap what we sow!"

http://army.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=55402

Nevada, Army and Air Force were the other schools to offer Vizza. This was a kid who could have gone to a service academy, who completed over 62% of his passes during a 1-11 seaon...and some of you want to denigrate his character and play? Look on the other side of the fence and consider the ringmasters of the circus now appearing in Denton.

With what the second year Air Force coach is doing...bowl game in both seasons. Vizza would have been a great fit there. He's seeing all of that now with Nevada and Air Force going to bowls and having success. He's doing the right thing. This ship is sinking, and he's got the talent to go elsewhere.

http://army.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=55402

Nevada, Army and Air Force were the other schools to offer Vizza. This was a kid who could have gone to a service academy, who completed over 62% of his passes during a 1-11 seaon...and some of you want to denigrate his character and play? Look on the other side of the fence and consider the ringmasters of the circus now appearing in Denton.

With what the second year Air Force coach is doing...bowl game in both seasons. Vizza would have been a great fit there. He's seeing all of that now with Nevada and Air Force going to bowls and having success. He's doing the right thing. This ship is sinking, and he's got the talent to go elsewhere.

WOW!!! Army and Air Force thought so much of his ability that they wanted him to run the triple option?

Notice: Be clear that this is in no way a shot at any Service Academy.

Edited by Green P1