Breaking News -- Vizza To Transfer

Brett Vito

O snap !! I can't really say I blame him. Have we just hit rock bottom ????

Players whom have left from 1st recruiting class :

Sam Dibrell,Kevin Ealey,Greg Garden,Bron Hager,Marcus King,Justin Padron,Jordan Scoggins,Gio Vizza & Evan Walker

Edited by NT03

It can't be to a Div I school, could it? He would (by NCAA rules) have to sit out a year and since he did not have a RS season, he would have one year to play. Maybe to SFA or something? I feel that players commit to a school, not to a coach and that if they decide to leave - that is fine... but they should not be released from ship thus pay their own way for at least one year. Some say that is a punishment but Vizza could have waited until after signing day to make this "announcement"... I dunno, I had heard about this from a friend and I just didn't understand why... Vizza is not a pro-caliber QB. Maybe he hates losing that bad and really believes there is no chance of turning it around before he graduates.

I thank him for trying... I wish him well in his endeavors... let's see what Riley can do under center.

It can't be to a Div I school, could it? He would (by NCAA rules) have to sit out a year and since he did not have a RS season, he would have one year to play. Maybe to SFA or something? I feel that players commit to a school, not to a coach and that if they decide to leave - that is fine... but they should not be released from ship thus pay their own way for at least one year. Some say that is a punishment but Vizza could have waited until after signing day to make this "announcement"... I dunno, I had heard about this from a friend and I just didn't understand why... Vizza is not a pro-caliber QB. Maybe he hates losing that bad and really believes there is no chance of turning it around before he graduates.

I thank him for trying... I wish him well in his endeavors... let's see what Riley can do under center.

Since he hasn't used his redshirt, he could use the redshirt for the year to sit sat out.

let's see what Riley can do under six feet behind center.

Fixed.

All cynicism aside, I looked up Riley's Rivals sheet, and he had some pretty impressive offers. The kid might have some game in him, but he's got one helluva PR challenge awaiting him. I am curious to see how he copes under the pressure of a substantial number of detractors after his apparent infallible god-like existence in high school. If he can play through it, then I'll agree with those who say he's a gamer.

ETA -- The other thing that comes to mind is that there's probably no QB in the nation with a better understanding of his dad's mystical magical offensive system. Maybe we can get less deer in the headlights sideline staring action next season. (Not intended to be a jab at Vizza in any way, shape or form)

Edited by oldguystudent

Since he hasn't used his redshirt, he could use the redshirt for the year to sit sat out.

I don't think that you can use a RS year to sit out, can you? You have 5 years to play 4 unless you go from a Div I to a Div I and than you lose one year of eligibility... if he were to go to a Div I-AA (FCS) then you don't lose the year, but that is part of your "punishment" for transferring. The other part can be that the school can choose to not release him from his ship, and he would have to pay his own way for one year until another school could offer him a ship. The contract goes both ways.

I don't think that you can use a RS year to sit out, can you? You have 5 years to play 4 unless you go from a Div I to a Div I and than you lose one year of eligibility... if he were to go to a Div I-AA (FCS) then you don't lose the year, but that is part of your "punishment" for transferring. The other part can be that the school can choose to not release him from his ship, and he would have to pay his own way for one year until another school could offer him a ship. The contract goes both ways.

Yes you can use a redshirt to transfer , he will have 2 years remaining to play at Rice(my guess).

****I hope Matt Vizza doesn't get mad at me for posting this****

Dibrell has been asking Vizza to leave and come with him to a smaller school(1AA). I can easily see this as being a possibility. Why would you stick around in a program where you have no faith in things turning around...QB competition aside? The bottom line is that Giovanni, and a host of others, simply don't see the sunshine and rainbows that a few of you on this board do. And I think they're dead on. I think it is a shame that a player with the competitive fire of a Vizza has decided to leave...that to me spells disaster because if those who want to win at all costs believe this is a sinking/sank ship then what of those with less fire?

I encourage anyone to try to spin this all they want...the young man got out while he could. Plain and simple.

In all seriousness no bad feelings should go towards Vizza about his decision. I really excited when Vizza chose to come to our school.

I give him credit for staying on for these past two years. Good Luck to him and others who have tried with this program.

Even with the season over and things couldn't get any worse and still disappointment is always still there in the off-season. :(

So what then happens when we go 2-10 because we are running the same high school offense with Riley?? Will more players get tired of getting their taints kicked in every week?? Will they decide to bail?

I don't blame Gio one damned bit. It does kill me as an alum and a fan that we might have to endure the rest of 'The Dodge Dynasty' at NT and not move one step forward as a program. I really hope Riley is all he is cracked up to be at a QB, but I am not that optimistic.

In all honesty, I just wish that RV would sack up along with the powers that be at NT, and show Todd the door and simply move on the best way possible. Todd has done nothing but try to transform this team's identity from what it was for a very long time, and turn it into something it should not be. RV is also to blame for this, even though I think he has done a fantastic job in just about every other area since he arrived.

Sure, some of you true believers in TD can simply say, "he has only been here two years....these things take time.....he needs a number of recruiting classes, and his players.....and all that other bull that you might throw out there in response. Truth is -- Todd is overrated, Riley seems a bit overrated, and things are not getting better anytime soon.

Gio might not have come here if DD was still the coach, but I guaren-damn-tee you that he would have freaking thrived under DD, because he is a hard-nosed, firey, and uber-talented QB with a crap-ton of poise. A much more polished passer that anyone DD had here.....too bad that Todd has killed what used to be a certain attitude, swagger, and toughness that used to be a true element in the offense and in this program.

I hope to hell that I am wrong and 9-10 months from now I am eating these words.....but honestly, we are in a world of screwed heading into 2009.

In closing....Good luck Gio. You gave us all you had, it was pretty good, and you deserved so much better that Todd Dodge.

Pissed off at 3am

-Sean

Edited by Green Guy Bass

I'll say the same thing about him that I said about dibrell. QUITTER. Take your ball and go home baby. Sorry everything didn't go your way here, hope you just walk out on every other commitment you make in life. Your wife will rest easy with your ideas of commitment. Things are hard and don't go your way, and you bail. Glad your letter of intent had a prenupt. I don't understand and I won't forgive your actions just cause things suck. There is something to be said for fighting adversity every chance you can. You had two more years to attempt to turn it around and you threw up the duece. I wish you could learn a little class from the dude you replaced, who kept fighting even though the circumstances may not have been fair. I wasn't a meager fan but I sympathize with his situation. Thanks for wasting the last half of his career. Don't climb in my foxhole buddy. When the situation gets bad I'm gonna need someone to watch my back.

Bring it apologists.

i am a believer in Todd Dodge and I am definitely one of the folks who have made the argument to give him more time. he's only been here 2 years, only had 1 true recruiting class, has left over DD players... blah blah blah. i think it is legit for the results on the field to say that. what is going on inside this program though? when a host of players depart because passing a drug test seems to be as difficult as passing a Math class that is one thing but when you have your starting QB leave and then the head coach says that he had no idea he was thinking about it... that is completely different. regardless if this pans out or not, Gio is not our QB anymore. let's get behind Riley.

I'll say the same thing about him that I said about dibrell. QUITTER. Take your ball and go home baby. Sorry everything didn't go your way here, hope you just walk out on every other commitment you make in life. Your wife will rest easy with your ideas of commitment. Things are hard and don't go your way, and you bail. Glad your letter of intent had a prenupt. I don't understand and I won't forgive your actions just cause things suck. There is something to be said for fighting adversity every chance you can. You had two more years to attempt to turn it around and you threw up the duece. I wish you could learn a little class from the dude you replaced, who kept fighting even though the circumstances may not have been fair. I wasn't a meager fan but I sympathize with his situation. Thanks for wasting the last half of his career. Don't climb in my foxhole buddy. When the situation gets bad I'm gonna need someone to watch my back.

Bring it apologists.

The Meager point you make is just sad to think about. I was not a Meager fan either, but to be replaced by a dude that cuts out as soon as you leave must be hard to take.

Lots of voices on the board saying how riduclous it was for Riley to be playing WR when we had so many WR's sitting on the bench? Well here ya go. Now we get the FULL Southlake scene for a year. We already have the uni's... now we get Riley at QB, (and for the record, he should play well in this offense), and the TE goes away again. "Back to the spread Doctor Stone... back to the Spread".

I wish Riley well, and hope TD can turn this thing around, but Vizza bailing just shows how far we have fallen. I talked to his Dad several times before home games this year, and Gio wanted to play here. Too much adversity in the locker room now, and no signs of improvement.

I wish Giovanni and his family the best, and I believe this was the right move for him.

GMG!!!

The Meager point you make is just sad to think about. I was not a Meager fan either, but to be replaced by a dude that cuts out as soon as you leave must be hard to take.

Sorry, primo, gonna have to disagree on this one. Gio was playing because he was the better option. Gio left because this program has no real option at the top. That's as cut and dry as you will ever see things.

And for those who want to use the word "quitter" give me a damn break! This team is beyond f'ed up and if you honestly, I mean honestly, blame a player for wanting to finish out his collegiate career at a place that doesn't have mountains to climb that have nothing to do with football then I'm sure there are some masochist colonies with your name all over them. Give me a break. Saying that the kid shoulda stayed around to get his head bashed in for two more years...all the while knowing that the gameplan and results can't get better (and not because the coaches don't want them to, they simply don't know how) is sheer lunacy and knee-jerking to the highest power.