Arkansas State (1/9/09)

CMJ

Residence halls open Wednesday, and since classes don't start until Tuesday I hope we can get a crowd out for Thursday's game against Denver.

dorms open wednesday like you said...and housing is sponsering Thursday's game...so with students back and a bunch or RA's and other housing people coming it should be a VERY good student turnout...it was low today but thier was a lot of non students thier which i was surprized about!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering about the student section as well. We REALLY rely on them to put some energy into that place. There were times during the game (early on especialy) where you could here a pin drop.......more or less. I yelled for Defense once and half the people around me looked to see what all the yelling was about...........and I'm not Crazy-Over-The-Top-Yelling Man or anything. It was a good sized crowd, they were just quiet.

I wonder if there is some confusion about the attendance numbers ? The box score says 1200 or so at the Women's game. I didn't see it but I think there were more than 2700 at the Men's game.

The Students are really missed when they aren't there. Hurry back Pit Crew.

PS

There was a nice tribute to local Ford dealer Bill Utter , Sr. before the game. A good man and consistent sponsor of Mean Green Athletics.

Edited by greenjoe

I was wondering about the student section as well. We REALLY rely on them to put some energy into that place. There were times during the game (early on especialy) where you could here a pin drop.......more or less. I yelled for Defense once and half the people around me looked to see what all the yelling was about...........and I'm not Crazy-Over-The-Top-Yelling Man or anything. It was a good sized crowd, they were just quiet.

Sorry, but the season ticket holders are some of the lamest fans I have ever, and I mean ever, seen. They sit on their hands until the final 1:00 minute of the game when they will stand and cheer.

Sorry, but the season ticket holders are some of the lamest fans I have ever, and I mean ever, seen. They sit on their hands until the final 1:00 minute of the game when they will stand and cheer.

It's because we aren't giving away free t-shirts during the action. If we can figure out a way to drop free t-shirts on their heads throughout the game, they might wake up.

Yep. It is pretty bad. The Pit Crew usually keeps it somewhat noisy and rowdy, but since school is out now, apparently these folks cannot attend games for whatever reason. I cannot wait until the Pit Crew returns.

Edited by chrisfisher

Yep. It is pretty bad. The Pit Crew usually keeps it somewhat noisy and rowdy, but since school is out now, apparently these folks cannot attend games for whatever reason. I cannot wait until the Pit Crew returns.

We had a few, but the students directly behind us started complaining that we were standing and moved away.

We're working on a regular "Cheer Sheet" where rule #1 says "We Don't Sit in the Pit".

He is dead on. Do people know they are going to a basketball game?

Some Ark St people sat behind me and at the end of the game they said "why is this place so quiet? It's so dead in here."

Its like people are scared to cheer.

True, but the Super Pit is absolute pandemonium compared with the lifeless crowd at Lakefront Arena, when I watched the UNT-UNO game in New Orleans last month.

We had a few, but the students directly behind us started complaining that we were standing and moved away.

We're working on a regular "Cheer Sheet" where rule #1 says "We Don't Sit in the Pit".

Simple solution. Rip the seats out of the student section. Replace with rails at each level for leaning on/hanging derogatory signs about opposing team. Bring supply of two thousand Saddam Hussein heads and hand out at top of student section.

Those season ticket seats are so doggone skinny, it makes it really hard to jump up and yell. I would stand more if I could get in and out of the seat easier. Just another incentive to lose some more weight, I guess.

Was a real nail-biter of a game. It looked like more than 2700 hundred to me, going off of how full the Pit looked with announced attendance at previous games. Somebody said they ran out of hot dogs! I'm looking forward to the return of the students. We get a kick out of some of the stuff they yell.

GMG!

Edited by NTEdgex2

I worked my ass off at the game in the Super Pit section. Cheering, singing, yelling at the refs, yelling at Ark State' coach that he has anger issues and needs Rogaine, and more. By halftime I had lost my voice so I had to reserve my yell voice for particularly bad ref calls..... to make up for my lack of yelling I started banging on the wooden door in our section and I ran back and forth from my seat to the section right above the tunnels to hold the Acme Brick sign when Ark State shot free throws. By the end of the game, I was horse, exhausted, had a headache, and could barely move my right had from banging on the door so hard and often. I even managed a couple of fierce yells at the refs no voice and all. I was so into it that at one point, my daughter says, "Daddy, you are scaring me." We had a quick laugh together about this and gave her a quick hug only to get back to work with my fan duties. Now that is working it!

Edited by chrisfisher

The classic moment of the game... I forget when, but I think in overtime.... one of the Ark State players apparently screwed something up that gave us the ball.... I swear to you that the ArkState coach through a full temper tantrum like a 5 year old in his seat.... While sitting down, he literally started yelling at a player and stomping his feet and his arms in hugely exaggerate motions... it was the silliest thing I've ever seen by a "coach." I thought their assist coach should have sent him to time out.

Edited by chrisfisher

Our annual "not up to snuff" fan thread. They did at least buy tickets and come to the game. I am always amazed at these posts at a school that needs support more than anything else. Lets give some kind of litmus test to the handfuls of people that make the effort to actually attend to see if they are worthy. Instead of being concerned about the thousands that did not bother to come including 99% of the students that have already paid for the privilege. Yes, school is out and I would bet you that at least 50% of the students live closer than the hour drive its takes me to drive to the game, but they have better things to do. As some one that sit through four and a half hours of basketball, Saturday: I will try to liven it up, I wouldn't want to disappoint such an avid fan.

As long as the alumni buy season tickets and show up I don't really care if they sit and are quiet or stand and cheer. In my mind it should be up to the student body to provide all the cheering and heckling, but that's just my 2 cents. Would I prefer the alumni to be more vocal , of course.

Our annual "not up to snuff" fan thread. They did at least buy tickets and come to the game. I am always amazed at these posts at a school that needs support more than anything else. Lets give some kind of litmus test to the handfuls of people that make the effort to actually attend to see if they are worthy. Instead of being concerned about the thousands that did not bother to come including 99% of the students that have already paid for the privilege. Yes, school is out and I would bet you that at least 50% of the students live closer than the hour drive its takes me to drive to the game, but they have better things to do. As some one that sit through four and a half hours of basketball, Saturday: I will try to liven it up, I wouldn't want to disappoint such an avid fan.

I am glad that everyone is there, but whats the point of coming to a game and not cheering ?

The classic moment of the game... I forget when, but I think in overtime.... one of the Ark State players apparently screwed something up that gave us the ball.... I swear to you that the ArkState coach through a full temper tantrum like a 5 year old in his seat.... While sitting down, he literally started yelling at a player and stomping his feet and his arms in hugely exaggerate motions... it was the silliest thing I've ever seen by a "coach." I thought their assist coach should have sent him to time out.

He hit two of his players, too. Not a full-out blow, but he thumped two of them in the chest pretty hard, and it wasn't an "Attaboy!" gesture.