Be Honest With Yourself

emmitt01

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This post is really all about whether UNT gets better. I believe UNT will get better because when your on the bottom you have no where else to go but north and win 2 or 3 games. Any more wins than that will be a big season.

It makes NO difference at all who plays QB. 2 or 3 wins and hopefully just some competitive games.

Its all about whether Deloach can keep UNT in the game and whether or not Todd develops any WR's and adjusts his scheme.

Defense is the name of the game. As far as rumors, I have none to report senor Dozer.

Edited by nautique

WOW! Not that I can honestly disagree with anyone on this board when it comes to this topic, but look how far we have come on the "greatness" that was supossed to be Todd Dodge. This is truly an amazing turnaround for a fan base. Once again, not saying that I disagree with anything that has been posted on this thread, but in reality this guy has had a 2 years here. The guy's first recruiting class was a dud, but he had a couple of weeks to assemble it...hindsight he should have been recruiting instead of spending so much time with the Dragons, he could have coached in the state championship game, but did not need to be at practices all the time. The attrition from that class has been huge, but what can you expect, he hardly knew the kids he was recuiting due to the fact he didn't have the time, due to his own choices, but regardless, he had tough start.

The guy does some seem to be arrogant, cocky, and not real preparred for this level, but I don't know if he is incapable of turning the thing around. I can see this team winning 8 or losing 12...I really have no gauge on this program at all.

Somebody posted some stat that DeLoach usually shows defensive improvement in his second season with a team...Dodge seemed to find the value in a running game last season...there are a lot of young receivers and a couple JUCO transfers coming in, maybe this kick starts our offense...maybe the defense continues to be horrible, and maybe Dodge's offense continues to decline and we win less games, resulting in a 0-12 season.

All we have in this world is hope that we will someday again be something in this game...until then I back the team I have!

Rice loses big part of its offense

Herman takes coordinator’s job at Iowa State

By MOISEKAPENDA BOWER Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle

Jan. 4, 2009, 12:07AM

Today Top 25 | BCS Tom Herman, the offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach who masterminded the prolific attack of a Rice team that went 10-3 this season, has taken a similar position at Iowa State and will work under new Cyclones coach Paul Rhoads.

“I am elated to have the opportunity to coach in one of the nation’s best conferences (the Big 12),” Herman said in a statement released by Iowa State.

Herman, 33, spent four seasons with David Bailiff, including two at Texas State before Bailiff took over at Rice in January 2007. Herman was tutored by Texas offensive coordinator Greg Davis for two seasons as a graduate assistant (1999-2000) and worked as an offensive assistant for four seasons at Sam Houston State (2001-04) before moving to Texas State. He was an all-conference receiver at California Lutheran.

“You hire good people and you want them to grow,” Bailiff said. “Any time you have success, this is going to happen.”

mk.bower@chron.com

Dodge could have gotten a college coordinator at Texas State for a song and a dance before he moved on to Rice. Dodge is going to be loyal to his coaches to the bitter end. And now Rice is attracting transfers like Sam McGuffie.

Edited by nautique

Over a period of how many years? Bottom line, no adjustments to the most simplistic playbook in all of college football, no wins. Just remember. It's a football plan.

My point was not that I actually expect this team to win 8 games, but that I have no idea where this program is at...nothing would surprise me was the actual point.

If you made me place a bet, I would lean more towards the 0-2 win edge of the spectrum.

I could see the defense getting better with DeLoach, and I can see this offense being productive which in the Sunbelt could lead to some wins...8 probably not, but I could see 6 wins if these two things happen.

I would expect no more than 3 wins. I also think Dodge will see a year 4, unless the majority of losses are blow outs. OOC will make no difference on way or the other as to how Dodge is judged next season. RV is not going to be fired if he does not let Dodge go, especially if we are in the middle of the stadium project. Wishful thinking to believe there are enough powers that be (adm, regents, etc)who really care and would be willing to push the athletic director around over the football program. I think Dr. B supports the athletic program to a point, and better than many President's before her, but I think she is more interested in pushing the "research side" of the University than the athletic side. People were calling for Johnny Jones' scalp after his 3rd year, and RV stood his ground. Yes, I know there was more positive progress, but still he stayed with his coach. I am stating my objective view, not what I want one way or the other.

Edited by Green Dozer

I say yes if we leave the belt,join a new conference and If our schedule included :

Week 1 @ Denton High ( Collins Field, better than Fouts)

Week 2 vs Gainesville State School ( Home game so their really bad kids can't play who aren't allowed to travel)

Week 3 @ N.J.I.T ( Basketball Team )

Week 4 @ Washington State ( just incase we are not already bottom 10 #1 yet )

Week 5 vs Texas Women's* ( Winnable homecoming game)

Week 6 vs Houston Baptist* ( We're going to hell for the ass kicking we will deliver)

Week 7 @ Lamar* ( Might be our last chance for a win before they actually field a team)

Week 8 @ UTSA* ( Will be tough , but I think we can do it )

Week 9 vs South Alabama* ( Bama just too young to compete wit us)

Week 10 vs Dallas Baptist* ( Game will be a toss up )

Week 11 @ Pandandle State* (OK) ( Finally a team from Oklahoma we can beat)

Week 12 vs Paris JC* ( Could decide conference championship)

* Our new conference

You should...otherwise look for a mass exodus.

Yes, everyone is going to throw away a four year scholarship plus the ties that they have at NT, because some other player leaves. All this conjecture comes with two disastrous seasons, and no one is happy including the team, coaches, and fans. Players, parents, and fans are going to complain that is to be expected. The truth is that NT was undoubtedly the worst team in the nation last year and that is enough to worry about. I don't see the need to add speculation to the mix.

Why would Vizza go anywhere? He isn't pro material. He is a very good QB and has made the best out of a bad situation - but he was given a full chance to win... Dodge benched his other QB's to give Vizza a shot and either Vizza or the system failed. Is Riley the second coming? Perhaps. You just never know. I know that almost every time he did get in the game last season, he made something happen. That could have been luck or it could have been skill, I will say skill because the guy is just a competitor. I imagine that there is going to be a nasty fight for starting QB this Spring/Summer/Fall - and that is the way is SHOULD be when a team wins 1 game against a transitional WKY squad.... and lets be honest about that win, we got lucky to beat them by a miracle play in the final seconds of the game.

There have been rumoured problems in the locker room for 5 years now - that's what happens when you win between 1 -3 games each year. Remember the Green team? Things need to change this season or we will have a new coach. There is way too much money on the program now to just settle for losing.

Why would Vizza go anywhere? He isn't pro material. He is a very good QB and has made the best out of a bad situation - but he was given a full chance to win... Dodge benched his other QB's to give Vizza a shot and either Vizza or the system failed. Is Riley the second coming? Perhaps. You just never know. I know that almost every time he did get in the game last season, he made something happen. That could have been luck or it could have been skill, I will say skill because the guy is just a competitor. I imagine that there is going to be a nasty fight for starting QB this Spring/Summer/Fall - and that is the way is SHOULD be when a team wins 1 game against a transitional WKY squad.... and lets be honest about that win, we got lucky to beat them by a miracle play in the final seconds of the game.

There have been rumoured problems in the locker room for 5 years now - that's what happens when you win between 1 -3 games each year. Remember the Green team? Things need to change this season or we will have a new coach. There is way too much money on the program now to just settle for losing.

I couldn't agree more. TD will be history unless Riley saves him...this kid has talent and it showed when he entered the game in 08. I am not too sure how great a qb Vizza really is. Unlike Riley, he just doesn't seem to "make things happen"....Riley appears to have this ability.....then there is the rest of the problems with this team...coaching being a major one.

I'd need to see the final schedule before I'm comfortable predicting wins and losses. However, if we played the same schedule as last year, I'd just don't see how this team wins more than last year. There's a lot of potential on the team, a lot of great "paper players." But that and a buck fifty will get you a Snickers at 7-11. There's no team chemistry, lots of infighting, and exactly zero leaders that speak for the whole team. Vizza is probably as close as it gets, but if he could have done something to slap this team into action, you'd have to think he'd have played that card by now. He's probably played out and frustrated with the culture of losing.

I have so much respect for the guy a small part of me is wishing he would leave the team so he could get a real chance elsewhere. Kinda like Dirk Nowitzki, you know?

I do see this team getting better. One may need to define "better" first. More wins? More team effort? More discipline? Fewer blow out losses?????? Pick your own definition.

If the weight room is well used in the off season, grades are kept up or raised, we support what is ours (coaches, athletic personnel, alumni and the entire MG nation) then YES, THIS TEAM WILL BE BETTER!

Go Mean Green!

Steve

Vizza is probably as close as it gets, but if he could have done something to slap this team into action, you'd have to think he'd have played that card by now. He's probably played out and frustrated with the culture of losing.

I have so much respect for the guy a small part of me is wishing he would leave the team so he could get a real chance elsewhere. Kinda like Dirk Nowitzki, you know?

I think you are spot on saying that Vizza is as close as it gets. The guy has fire and hates to lose, he kinda reminds me of an old #11 that played around here...though I think Vizza has more natural talent. That anyone can question the kid's ability is laughable to me. Forced to play in a simplistic system with little to no time to throw he's been all that I could have expected. And I just love the assumption that because Dodge junior made some plays as a slot receiver that he is the "play-maker" that we need. He may well be...or he may well be a fast, undersized QB who can't outrun D1 defensive linemen and looks bad because of it.

And as to him leaving the program...with some of the "kind words" that get thrown around about him on this board I wouldn't begrudge him going to join his old high school teammate elsewhere.

This team WILL be better next season.

The offensive line will be the catalyst. We finally have more upperclassmen than underclassmen on the oline and we have a stable of stud running backs to run behind them.

I think Vizza will be better, and if he's not Riley will come in. Not sure why everyone is so ticked off that a new QB might be playing next season. If the backup was anyone other than the coaches son, this board would already have mobilized a "Bench Vizza" militia. I'm not saying that I support either guy....but we HAVE to get better at every position next year, QB included.

Our defense could still be bad, but our special teams cannot possibly be worse than this last season.

Add it all up and I find it hard to believe that this team will be as bad next year as this last year.

Do you see this team being any better this upcoming season or do you simply hope they will be because the truth is hard to swallow?

I do not see any changes that make me think that this team will be better. But the program is moving forward. The question is who will be the 1st coach in the new stadium? TD? He needs a good recruiting class this year and a few coaching adjustments.

I do not see any changes that make me think that this team will be better. But the program is moving forward. The question is who will be the 1st coach in the new stadium? TD? He needs a good recruiting class this year and a few coaching adjustments.

Yeah, like letting the other coaches (with college coaching experience) actually coach.

Honestly, looking at last year's recruiting class, surely it has to be better. I looked at it again today and it seems like we got some quality people and athletes last year.

The biggest thing for me is I want to see improvement. If we go 2-10 next year but are competitive in every game and lose a few at the end b/c this group doesnt know how to win yet, then I will take that. But this year I dont think we saw any improvement and that has been the most disappointing thing in the TD era.

OK, I will admit right off the bat that I have not ead this entire thread, but, yes, the team will be better next season if only because the experience factor will be "up" for both players AND coaches...as far as the "RUMOR" of Vizza being pissed off...how about, if it is true, looking in the mirror Mr. Vizza, sir, and trying to figure out why you had the "so called" sophomore slump last season...TD may be calling the plays, but he is not ececuting them on the field.

I really doubt that Vizza is pissed off at anything other than a really bad year of football....a competitor would be pissed off at the year UNT had...and that definitely is a good thing. Being pissed off at a bad year I mean. I definitely think the team will be much improved next season....and that, Mean Green Nation remains to be seen on the field next season.

GO MEAN GREEN! Yes, Virginia, there are things to be positive about.

OK, I will admit right off the bat that I have not ead this entire thread, but, yes, the team will be better next season if only because the experience factor will be "up" for both players AND coaches...as far as the "RUMOR" of Vizza being pissed off...how about, if it is true, looking in the mirror Mr. Vizza, sir, and trying to figure out why you had the "so called" sophomore slump last season...TD may be calling the plays, but he is not ececuting them on the field.

I really doubt that Vizza is pissed off at anything other than a really bad year of football....a competitor would be pissed off at the year UNT had...and that definitely is a good thing. Being pissed off at a bad year I mean. I definitely think the team will be much improved next season....and that, Mean Green Nation remains to be seen on the field next season.

GO MEAN GREEN! Yes, Virginia, there are things to be positive about.

You can't argue with that... and I mean that literally.