Juco Transfers

It seems that currently, and in the past, we have been very high on JUCO transfers. It seemed like every year Dickey signed someone from Coffeyville CC in Kansas or some other crazy ass JUCO.

I ask you this, Mean Green fans, and there is probably an obvious answer currently skipping my mind, but here it goes:

When is the last time a JUCO transfer really panned out for us and put in a quality 2-3 years? Has it ever happened? If it has, I know they have been few and far between.

Please MG Fans, shed some light on this for me...

I would say the following were contributers, or are appearing to be:

Kylie Hill, Gabe Hollivay, J. Knott, Cam, Weathers, T.J. Covington, Lonnie Chambers, Damion Nobles, Charles Dupree and Eli Hutchinson from recent years.

The jury is still out on A. Adams and Big Nate Jenkins while Horton, Edwards and Roman were busts from TD's classes.

Other recent, 03-08, JUCO signees and my thoughts:

03: Arthur McNac was a back-up linebacker who filled in nicely for an injured, I think, Koryee Wyatt.

Dupree Jones didn't play much.

04: Travis Thompson was a linebacker that never reached potential due to injuries, if memory serves me correctly. I listed Covington above although he got burned, ran his mouth and made ill advised mistakes enough to drive the fans crazy, but his 100+ yard int. return at Utah State was great.

05: Willie Ransom was pretty good, but I don't think he lived up to his billing as a game changing DE. Chase Pistole added DL depth, Jimmie Chaney was moved between TE and OT and Gary Oubre was an undersized DB with an oversized attitude.

06: Brian Carlson added depth to the OL, Trent Stanley, a JUCO AA was a bust and Woody showed flashes of brilliance before moving on.

07: Evyn Roman was a bust.

08: Adams and Jenkins could pan out, J. Knott struggled at times, Horton and Edwards were busts, Hollivay ended up starting on the OL and Hill looks to be the best of the bunch.

Kevin Galbreath and Michael Pruitt were excellent finds for us out of NEO back in the early 00's.

I would say the following were contributers, or are appearing to be:

Kylie Hill, Gabe Hollivay, J. Knott, Cam, Weathers, T.J. Covington, Lonnie Chambers, Damion Nobles, Charles Dupree and Eli Hutchinson from recent years.

The jury is still out on A. Adams and Big Nate Jenkins while Horton, Edwards and Roman were busts from TD's classes.

Other recent, 03-08, JUCO signees and my thoughts:

03: Arthur McNac was a back-up linebacker who filled in nicely for an injured, I think, Koryee Wyatt.

Dupree Jones didn't play much.

04: Travis Thompson was a linebacker that never reached potential due to injuries, if memory serves me correctly. I listed Covington above although he got burned, ran his mouth and made ill advised mistakes enough to drive the fans crazy, but his 100+ yard int. return at Utah State was great.

05: Willie Ransom was pretty good, but I don't think he lived up to his billing as a game changing DE. Chase Pistole added DL depth, Jimmie Chaney was moved between TE and OT and Gary Oubre was an undersized DB with an oversized attitude.

06: Brian Carlson added depth to the OL, Trent Stanley, a JUCO AA was a bust and Woody showed flashes of brilliance before moving on.

07: Evyn Roman was a bust.

08: Adams and Jenkins could pan out, J. Knott struggled at times, Horton and Edwards were busts, Hollivay ended up starting on the OL and Hill looks to be the best of the bunch.

Kevin Galbreath and Michael Pruitt were excellent finds for us out of NEO back in the early 00's.

Thank you for the very nice response. I didn't realize that Galbreath was a JUCO. He was before my time as well. I wonder why they are so hit and miss.

Guest JohnDenver

Thank you for the very nice response. I didn't realize that Galbreath was a JUCO. He was before my time as well. I wonder why they are so hit and miss.

It seems that the hit ratio is higher than the standard HS recruiting class... Just less time here, so their names don't stick out with the fans, versus a HS recruit with five years.

No one. You can just always count on a "know it all" to have a smart ass remark anytime you ask a question on this board.

Is this the only message board you visit? I can tell you straight up, I frequently visit 3-4 boards a day and every one of them have their little click of resident a$$holes, grammer nazi's, etc. GMG is by far the most easy going.

Is this the only message board you visit? I can tell you straight up, I frequently visit 3-4 boards a day and every one of them have their little click of resident a$$holes, grammer nazi's, etc. GMG is by far the most easy going.

BOOM!

Yes this is the only board I visit because there are not many things I care about enough to take the time to read about. Also, you guys crack me up sometimes. Third, I actually work at my job and thus have little time to surf.

I think Juco's are every bit as tough (maybe tougher) to evaluate than high school kids. They will always be hit-and-miss - same with every D1 footballl program.

Some things to remember about Juco's:

1) There is a reason that they went to Juco as opposed to taking a D1 scholarship (could be grades, family situation, talent level, lots of things)

2) You really don't have any development time for a Juco - they either come in and contribute, or they take a valuable scholly spot for 2 years and don't do much

All in all, I think HS is almost always the best route. We have a lot of holes to fill right now - thus we're hitting the Juco trail very hard.

Of the Juco's mentioned on this thread, I would put Kevin Galbraith as my #1... that guy was an awesome Juco find and an example of a perfect Juco fit while a great HS running back (Patrick Cobbs) developed behind him.

NT's overall success ratio has not been great with jucos, but there have been a few that have heavily contributed. Bense who started every year in the offensive line. Galbreath, conference mvp, who was a record breaking running back before Cobbs and Thomas. Daniels a very good defensive end that started at least two years (first team all conference). Pruitt who was a mainstay in the defensive line. Weathers a very solid player in the secondary.

Jucos are recruited generally for a specific need and if they don't play major minutes, I wouldn't say that they were total busts but they did not meet basic expectations . Jucos signed since 2002 that may have never played or played less than anticipated: Brandon Hooks ol, Dupree Jones de, Arthur McNac lb, Eli Hutchinson de, Lonnie Chambers ol, Jimmy Chaney te, Brian Carlson te-ol, Gary Oubre, Trent Stanley ol, Chase Pistole dl, Justin Edwards db, and Alonzo Horton de. I would also add Willie Ransom to that list although he might have started a few games, he did not get consistent play and I don't think he even played his senior year.

Jucos from the same recruiting periods that significantly contributed: Koree Wyatt a starting LB, Roy Covington usually not a fan favorite but he did start the majority of his career, Roy Loren started in the defensive backfield, Woody Wilson only played one year, and Michael Pruitt who along with Weathers have had the best careers in this time period.

It is too early to deterimine the full effect of last years class but Hill and Hollovay started most of the year. Adams started in several games and Knott was the kicker. Nate Jenkins was redshirted I assume and very well may contribute but I didn't include him in the following. So in my imperfect rating system based on recruiting from 2002 to 2008 indicates that 10 Juco recruits met expectations and 13 who did not. Not a very good outcome as it is less than what I would expect from high school recruits. It should also be noted that based on this sample, TD, even after losing two heavily counted on transfers in the 2008 class, has still done better with jucos than the previous staff.

Edited by GrandGreen