Brett Vito: My Advice For A Wounded Unt Program

mgsteve

I read this article this morning, and I can't say that I disagree with anything Brett suggests as a way for Coach Dodge to move the program forward. While Vito did take a bit of a shot or two, overall I felt that the article was well done. Check it out and see what you think.

I do think that Coach Dodge needs to be the "head coach" and let his assistants coach...and then evaluate the job they did and see if changes need to be made. Making Coach DeLoach the Assistant Head Coach is a good idea, IF he would then be "turned loose" to do his thing on defense. To me, I did not see a big move forward in our defense this year, but I do think, given the change to "do his own thing" that Coach DeLoach can and will move the defense forward.

Tough year for the Mean Green faithful...glad it's over...and I am looking forward to the 2009 season already. I think we will all see a much improved Mean Green team IF only a few, but significant, changes are made by Coach Dodge. And, yes, I do want to see Coach Dodge back next season...after that, we'll see what positive steps are made in 2009.

GO MEAN GREEN....Come out to the final Coach Dodge show of the season tonight at the PourHouse at 6:30pm and show your support for the program...

See you there!

Good article by Vito. His #2 point is spot on. The Dallas school districts are areas NT should be recruiting from heavily. Limiting yourself to SLC, HP, & private schools in the North Texas area is flat out stupid. I guess he's afraid these kids will want to wear their hats backwards; and we all know how much he hates that. <_<

Padron showing at SMU as a walk-on is funny as hell.

Edited by Got5onIt

Good article by Vito. His #2 point is spot on. The Dallas school districts are areas NT should be recruiting from heavily. Limiting yourself to SLC, HP, & private schools in the North Texas area is flat out stupid. I guess he's afraid these kids will want to wear their hats backwards; and we all know how much he hates that. <_<

Dodge has already had triple the number of commits from Dallas ISD as Dickey had in the previous 4 recruiting classes. I'm not sure where you imagined this whole "limiting yourself to SLC, HP, & private schools" bit.

Dodge has already had triple the number of commits from Dallas ISD as Dickey had in the previous 4 recruiting classes. I'm not sure where you imagined this whole "limiting yourself to SLC, HP, & private schools" bit.

The whole SLC HP bit was meant to be an exaggeration.

The heart of the argument doesn't change.

You call Willie Taylor, triple what DD had during his years??? He's the only player out of Dallas ISD. Show me. Hit me with the "facts".

Edited by Got5onIt

The whole SLC HP bit was meant to be an exaggeration.

The heart of the argument doesn't change.

You call Willie Taylor, triple what DD had during his years??? He's the only player out of Dallas ISD. Show me. Hit me with the "facts".

Daniel Mayberry and DaWaylon Cook. That's 3, while Dickey only recruited one from 2003-06 (Roy Covington). Not meant as a shot at Dickey, just a point of reference.

Since what I assumed were intended as facts were just exaggerations, please enlighten me as to what the heart of your argument is. We have recruits out of Houston, Dallas, and small towns. I am not aware of any recruits out of private schools or Highland Park, although I might have forgotten one. Regardless, it is hard to see that we are "limiting ourselves to SLC, HP, & private schools" even in an "exaggerated" sense.

Padron showing at SMU as a walk-on is funny as hell.

I was replying the the post of Got5onIT not Vitoes DISD comments.

NT does heavily recruit the DFW including the Dallas schools...much earlier post outlined who recruited what areas...don't know if those schools assigned to Mendoza went to De Louch in the changeover. At least 4 coaches recruit parts of Dallas one full time assigned to Dallas.

Petersen........N Dallas, NE Texas

Ford..............Dallas, North FW, South Texas

George..........Dallas

LaXroix..........East Dallas, East Texas

Drake............West Ft. Worth, West Texas

Mendoza/Deloach ? East FTWorth, Arlington, Irving, Gd Prairie

Sandy.East Houston, Gulf

Rausch west Houston/Gulf

Like I mention this goes way back to August 07 and there could be changes.

When Dodge was hired one recruiting plan was to hit the DFW Metroplex...not just Dallas and he has succeed in that area. I have edited this part of my to make corrections pointed out to me...I want to be accurate and if I am not expect someone to say so. OldTimer

Akpunku, Cedar Hill

Chase Baine Lake Dallas...was a walk0n...I had tried to eliminate them but obviously missed some.

Greg Brown Grand Prairie was a walk on

Cantly Arlington

DaWaylon Cook Dallas

Davidson, Bradley...Justin NW...was walkon

Lance Dunbar Halton City

Troy Franklin, Celina

Greg Garden Denton/Navy

Victor Gill Argyle.................was a Dickey recruit

James Hamilton Cedar Hill

Joe Hawthorne Arlington Martin

Breece Johnson Colleyville Heritage

JJ Johnson Plano

Marcus King Euless Trinity.......... was a TD recruit but quit the team

Alex Lott Plano by way of Texas Lutheran...........wakjib

Jeremi Mathis Arlington Martin

Chris Neal Kaufman...............Ramon Flanigan recruit...not TD

Sam Owusu-Hemeng Arlington Seguin ..........Another DD recruit

Jordan Scoggins Euless Trinity

John Shorter Lake Highlands

Marquis Sykes Coppell....DD recruit

Evan Walker Colleyville Heritage..............a TD recruit but was removed from the team

I would add the 09 recruits pledged

Daniel Mayberry Dallas Spruce and

Hilbert Jackson Rowlett

In compiling these names I went from our current 2008 FB guide...left out about a dozen I deemed to be walk on from this area and tried to limit names to the 07 and 08 recruiting classes...but did not individually check back on each one. Yes I see few names from Dallas itself, but it is evident we are heavily recruiting the DFW area in assignments.

It seems I remember Ramone Flannigan recruited Dallas for DD and don't remember players he recruited but very, very few ( This not intended to be a dig on DD)

NT does heavily recruit the DFW including the Dallas schools...much earlier post outlined who recruited what areas...don't know if those schools assigned to Mendoza went to De Louch in the changeover. At least 4 coaches recruit parts of Dallas one full time assigned to Dallas.

Petersen........N Dallas, NE Texas

Ford..............Dallas, North FW, South Texas

George..........Dallas

LaXroix..........East Dallas, East Texas

Drake............West Ft. Worth, West Texas

Mendoza/Deloach ? East FTWorth, Arlington, Irving, Gd Prairie

Sandy.East Houston, Gulf

Rausch west Houston/Gulf

Like I mention this goes way back to August 07 and there could be changes.

Great info. Thanks OT.

Take a look at UT's roster. They have 5-6 kids out of Dallas. This is a storied program that pretty much has the entire U.S. at it's fingertips. I don't know, maybe that's why these Dallas ISD players go to UT instead of NT. :(

Wow, Vito unleashed. Good job, tells it like it is and needs to be. Speaking of leashes, Dodge should be on a short one and be given a hefty to-do list from RV.

It will take a lot of convincing to show fans and future recruits some or any progress is being made. And next season starting with Ball State and Bama right away is not going to be easy, any turnaround will have to come after starting again in a hole. I have doubts that it can happen after what we've seen so far, unless Vito's list makes it to RV's desk then stapled to Dodge's forehead!

Wow, Vito unleashed. Good job, tells it like it is and needs to be. Speaking of leashes, Dodge should be on a short one and be given a hefty to-do list from RV.

It will take a lot of convincing to show fans and future recruits some or any progress is being made. And next season starting with Ball State and Bama right away is not going to be easy, any turnaround will have to come after starting again in a hole. I have doubts that it can happen after what we've seen so far, unless Vito's list makes it to RV's desk then stapled to Dodge's forehead!

You obviously have more confidence in RV's abilities than I do. RV is the one who hired the guy in the first place.

You obviously have more confidence in RV's abilities than I do. RV is the one who hired the guy in the first place.

I think RV hired Dodge based on several factors: familiar with UNT as a job, ties to Texas HS recruiting, big winner at previous coaching job, instant marketing for the program within DFW and Texas. All were on track except for his ability to transfer the winning to the college level. But that's the most important part. The reason(s) that hasn't happened is what RV and Dodge need to figure out, if it's not already too late with this coaching staff. Sometimes it is just better to cut losses and admit it didn't work out and begin anew.

During Double D's era at NT, one coach was assigned to

recruit the entire DFW metroplex, Ramon Flannigan.

Does that explain Dickey's success in the DFW hotbed

of football talent.

That's definately one reason...but how many did Flannigan actually recruit in the DISD...note he did recruit Chris Neal..

3. Embrace the big guys

UNT has recruited a ton of wide receivers and defensive backs over the last two seasons, but has pretty much ignored its offensive and defensive lines.

The Mean Green had just seven linemen in its last recruiting class. The college game is won and lost in the trenches. It’s a wonder quarterback Giovanni Vizza has survived the last two seasons with the beating he takes every week.

If Dodge wants to put his undersized son Riley Dodge at quarterback in the future, he better find a whole batch of good linemen to protect him. UNT also needs a small army of defensive linemen.

It isn’t going to matter if UNT has 23 great wide receivers if Vizza is running for his life and opposing offensive lines continue to dominate the Mean Green’s defense up front. UNT ranked dead last nationally in sacks with eight before a breakout game against ASU, when the Mean Green had four.

Where have you gone Booger Kennedy?

AMEN!

Linemen, linemen, linemen! Linemen should be priority No. 1 for this recruiting class, and should remain at or near the top of the priority list in future classes. You need talent, size, and depth on the offensive and defensive lines to win in college football. I understand why Dodge may not have completely embraced that approach, because I have seen so many gutty, tough, undersized kids who excelled as high school linemen and I'm sure Dodge has too. But those kinds of kids very rarely succeed in the college game. I hope that Dodge has learned that lesson.

5. Promote DeLoach to assistant head coach

"One of the best moves Dodge has made was to bring back Gary DeLoach, an experienced defensive coordinator with a ton of college experience, even if the numbers haven’t shown it yet.

DeLoach commands the respect of players, who say they believe in him.

Dodge should show faith in DeLoach as well. Make him the associate head coach, and give him some additional authority.

Make him the bad cop of the coaching staff and give him the chance to put the fear of God into players who stray from the straight and narrow.

After the problems UNT’s players have run into with drugs and the law the last few months, it looks like a few players on the team could use some tough love from a guy like DeLoach.

The move might not be anything more than giving a title to a veteran coach, but sometimes those titles matter. "

This is one of the best suggestions in his article. If I were the AD, I would not make it a suggestion, I would make it a directive. In addition, I would give DeLoach the power to fire any coach on the defensive side of the ball....and that includes special teams. I would advise Dodge that he has had it his way for two years and it's only produced the worst two year record in NT history. I would advise him that he can still hire and fire people on the offensive side, but those decisions will be given close scrutiny at the end of the 09 season. I would also advise him that, with very few exceptions, all full pad practices will be full speed contact.

I would finally say that if he didn't like any of these changes, he always has the option of resigning.

5. Promote DeLoach to assistant head coach

"One of the best moves Dodge has made was to bring back Gary DeLoach, an experienced defensive coordinator with a ton of college experience, even if the numbers haven’t shown it yet.

DeLoach commands the respect of players, who say they believe in him.

Dodge should show faith in DeLoach as well. Make him the associate head coach, and give him some additional authority.

Make him the bad cop of the coaching staff and give him the chance to put the fear of God into players who stray from the straight and narrow.

After the problems UNT’s players have run into with drugs and the law the last few months, it looks like a few players on the team could use some tough love from a guy like DeLoach.

The move might not be anything more than giving a title to a veteran coach, but sometimes those titles matter. "

This is one of the best suggestions in his article. If I were the AD, I would not make it a suggestion, I would make it a directive. In addition, I would give DeLoach the power to fire any coach on the defensive side of the ball....and that includes special teams. I would advise Dodge that he has had it his way for two years and it's only produced the worst two year record in NT history. I would advise him that he can still hire and fire people on the offensive side, but those decisions will be given close scrutiny at the end of the 09 season. I would also advise him that, with very few exceptions, all full pad practices will be full speed contact.

I would finally say that if he didn't like any of these changes, he always has the option of resigning.

Silver, in all due respect, I am glad if this is how you would handle it, that you are not the AD. I liked Vito's suggestion, but do not agree with your extreme approach. I guess the reason Deloach gets more power is because he only had one horrible year huh? I thought he coached defense, and isn't it their job to keep the other team from scoring?

Edited by Green Dozer

Silver, in all due respect, I am glad if this is how you would handle it, that you are not the AD. I liked Vito's suggestion, but do not agree with your extreme approach. I guess the reason Deloach gets more power is because he only had one horrible year huh? I thought he coached defense, and isn't it their job to keep the other team from scoring?

Deloach has already proven himself to me (as well as other people) that he can coach at the D-1 level. He was one of the last coaches that was hired away from us by a big time program.

While you might view my approach as extreme, it's still not as extreme as what some other people are suggesting.

Unfortunately, at the level all fans in all programs expect for their teams to play at, it takes a few thugs. When we lower our expectations, then coaches won't have as much pressure to win and can recruit nice guys from SLC and HP.

See earlier post I made............NT is heavily recruiting the DFW area as he stated...not just slc and ...who has he recruited from Highland Park? to add that school to your post.

*************************************************************************** replying to the following:

"Linemen, linemen, linemen! Linemen should be priority No. 1 for this recruiting class, and should remain at or near the top of the priority list in future classes. You need talent, size, and depth on the offensive and defensive lines to win in college football. I understand why Dodge may not have completely embraced that approach, because I have seen so many gutty, tough, undersized kids who excelled as high school linemen and I'm sure Dodge has too. But those kinds of kids very rarely succeed in the college game. I hope that Dodge has learned that lesson."

" QUOTE

3. Embrace the big guys

UNT has recruited a ton of wide receivers and defensive backs over the last two seasons, but has pretty much ignored its offensive and defensive lines. (wrong...see following post.

The Mean Green had just seven linemen in its last recruiting class. The college game is won and lost in the trenches. It’s a wonder quarterback Giovanni Vizza has survived the last two seasons with the beating he takes every week.

If Dodge wants to put his undersized son Riley Dodge at quarterback in the future, he better find a whole batch of good linemen to protect him. UNT also needs a small army of defensive linemen.

It isn’t going to matter if UNT has 23 great wide receivers if Vizza is running for his life and opposing offensive lines continue to dominate the Mean Green’s defense up front. UNT ranked dead last nationally in sacks with eight before a breakout game against ASU, when the Mean Green had four.

AMEN!

Linemen, linemen, linemen! Linemen should be priority No. 1 for this recruiting class, and should remain at or near the top of the priority list in future classes. You need talent, size, and depth on the offensive and defensive lines to win in college football. I understand why Dodge may not have completely embraced that approach, because I have seen so many gutty, tough, undersized kids who excelled as high school linemen and I'm sure Dodge has too. But those kinds of kids very rarely succeed in the college game. I hope that Dodge has learned that lesson."

*****************************************************It would be nice if posters would review the only 2 recruiting list before making such statements.

07..with only 30 days to recruit: 4 OL/DL I can understand why he went with WR to implement his offense when he inherited 8 ? TE's. He did inherit a lot of OL who played in 06.

07 recruits: Center JJ Johnson...now starting center

OT Matt Tomlinson

DE Kyle Russo was playing a lot in the last half of the season

DL Jordan Scoggins....In most cases OL and DL recruits have to redshirt one year to beef up and adjust to the increased speed of the college game.

in 08 with a full year to recruit and came up with 8 OL and DL

HS OL/C Nick Leppo who was injured...now enrolled this fall at NT under a gray shirt and will count against our 09 recruits.

HS OL Coleman Feeley...who is now starting due to injuries in the OL

HS OT/now DT Troy Franklin

HS DT tackle Joe Hawthorne

HSDT. Tevinn Cantly

JC Nate Jenkins...Hugh OL..redshirting because of coming in over weight was expected to contribute...but obviously didn't this year..2 years left to see

JC OG Gabe Hollivay...hugh came in overweitht but from mid season is starting.

JT DE was expected to be a stud...we know what happened to him

Check the roster for weight.

I believe TD and his staff did recruit OL/DL.. in both years...again there were a couple of busts but many are now playing...as stated before on OL and DL usually they take at least a year to gain weight and strength. In 08 several were fed to the wolves and had to play/start as freshmen immediately due to injuries.

I also believe TD is heavily recruiting experienced (JC) linemen in 09 , especially on the DL ...I know of 8 JC's DL/OL players alone which NT has offered in 09 recruiting...but DT quality is probably the hardest position to recruit.

In essense some posters are throwing statements that have not checked out.

I agree NT needs to recruit some DL and OL experienced help but that doesn't mean he hasn't been recruiting those positions. OldTimer