No Doubt..vizza Is Good!

meangreenbob

We all know that Vizza is a very good QB and we can and will win with him leading the team. I also think that we could and would win with Riley as the QB. I really believe that. Riley is quick, can run as well as pass and would give a defense major problems. Possible injury would be a factor because I think Riley would run too much.

But there was something about watching the play of Tune last Saturday night, even though it was against scrubs, that makes me want to see what he would do given more time to play. His running ability surprised me and the kid has a rifle of an arm. I never thought that Tune had the skills needed to play QB at this level and maybe he doesn't. Maybe he will get to play enough this weekend so that he can actually get into the flow of the game.

Is it possible that we have three very good QB's?

Meager and Phillips are also assets to this team.

At some point this season, I want to see Daniel Meager get a shot. I have seen nothing this season that gives me hope for even one win. If we have 0-1 wins, let Daniel start against Arkie State.

ABSOLUTELY!

But before the Arkie State game, I want to see my guy (the third fastest on the team) get out there and play special teams....which he has offered to do.

I want to see who ever takes the snaps to do so while under the center now and then, especially when we go for a 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1. I would also like to see Brock Stickler or whoever we have left that has decent size, can run and catch, start to line up at TE.

If it's good for 3rd ranked Missouri it's got to be good.

Rick

I want to see who ever takes the snaps to do so while under the center now and then, especially when we go for a 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1. I would also like to see Brock Stickler or whoever we have left that has decent size, can run and catch, start to line up at TE.

Rick

They have been employing Keronna Henderson as an H-Back type to block (don't think I've seen him out in a route but could be wrong) where he is lined up essentially where a Tight End would be except off the LOS and it seems to just bring one more guy in the box and make it more difficult to run the ball, especially in short yardage situations. Now if there were a pass catching threat there, teams may defend it differently. I am with you though as I do like the usage of a Tight End because they give you options, and Stickler may be our player best suited for that spot, but 6'3" 220 is certainly not an ideal TE. It seems like a majority of the Spread teams that put up big numbers (Oregon, Mizzou, Penn State, OK State, etc (not Tx Tech)) use a combination of different formations that utilize a Tight End and an H-Back type, and at the same time can line up with 5 WR's as well. The TE gives you a different look, brings an extra blocker into play to protect on passes or use on runs and if you have one that can also catch passes, it makes you tough to defend. I'm not sure we have a guy on the roster that fits that mold (though we may have a true freshman that is hurt in Forrest Rucker who may could do that eventually).

As far as being under center, I can see your point to a degree (especially in 4th and 1), but don't expect it to happen.

Edited by UNT Mean Green

Rick

I agree 100% that the QB needs to mix things up in short yardage situations by getting down under center. Running the same formation play after play is ridiculous and does nothing to keep the defense honest. I think that is a major reason why we can move the ball, but cannot get it into the endzone with any regularity. I think it definitely cost us a couple of games last year. His offensive philosophy may have worked at SLC, but it's just not going to fly at this level without some adjustments. Dodge has got to learn to adapt.

ABSOLUTELY!

But before the Arkie State game, I want to see my guy (the third fastest on the team) get out there and play special teams....which he has offered to do.

While I don't disagree that Danny should get some snaps I really really hope we can put this "third fastest on the team" stuff to bed. I don't believe it because I've seen him run...and if it is true, well I think I just found one of our problems.

While I don't disagree that Danny should get some snaps I really really hope we can put this "third fastest on the team" stuff to bed. I don't believe it because I've seen him run...and if it is true, well I think I just found one of our problems.

Just when was the last time that you saw him run...... :rolleyes:

He had a pass intercepted by a DB in a sping game, and I saw him run the guy down from behind....and make the tackle.

And it wasn't an arm tackle either...... ;)

He had a pass intercepted by a DB in a sping game, and I saw him run the guy down from behind....and make the tackle.

We sure as hell need a DB who knows how to tackle. If were not going to give him a chance at QB or WR this year, give the guy a chance back in the defensive backfield before his eligibility expires. Based on our DB play thus far, it sure couldn't hurt.

forget qb , if he can tackle the defense and "special" teams need him more!!

Danny's probably my favorite player on the team, and I know for a fact that he's doing everything he can to get on field, but I wouldn't hold my breath. At this point any success Danny might be a part of would just serve to undermine Dodge's decision making.

Danny's probably my favorite player on the team, and I know for a fact that he's doing everything he can to get on field, but I wouldn't hold my breath. At this point any success Danny might be a part of would just serve to undermine Dodge's decision making.

I love it - he is listed as the #2 QB, yet everytime someone else comes in at QB, they leapfrog him. Go figure.

I love it - he is listed as the #2 QB, yet everytime someone else comes in at QB, they leapfrog him. Go figure.

At this point if he comes in and does anything at all productive then Dodge looks bad. I think they both (Danny and Dodge) realize that the only way Danny's going to be getting any legitimate playing time is a significant injury to Vizza.

At this point if he comes in and does anything at all productive then Dodge looks bad. I think they both (Danny and Dodge) realize that the only way Danny's going to be getting any legitimate playing time is a significant injury to Vizza.

I am not even sure that would get him time. I think Dodge would just put in Riley and let him finish the season.

Yeah, Meager is a DD recruit and with only a few exceptions, you have to weigh at least 250 to get significant playing time if you are a DD recruit. Starting as a DD recruit is almost an anomaly here. Maybe Dodge will wake up, but I'm not counting on it.

But there was something about watching the play of Tune last Saturday night, even though it was against scrubs, that makes me want to see what he would do given more time to play. His running ability surprised me and the kid has a rifle of an arm. I never thought that Tune had the skills needed to play QB at this level and maybe he doesn't.

Way to go now you got Tune benched no more nice talk about DD recruits.............????????????//////////////////

I think Dodge would just put in Riley and let him finish the season.

He is number 1 1/2 this week the time is coming

I don't think Riley is coming in to play QB. Interceptions this season have been on batted balls at the line of scrimmage and one int. this past game, where Casey flat out fell down when the ball was in the air.

Int's have not been bad decisions where you throw it in to double coverage or make poor reads from what I have seen on TV.

Every QB deserves their shot at it, if they earn it in practice. If Riley gets his, so be it, Todge and Ford will have their reasons. Ford has to do what is right with the QB's. You have to back whoever gets their shot be it Tune, Meager, or Riley.

Tune is improving every day so having four QB's is a great deal for UNT football. Plenty of depth that is for sure.

Competition makes every player better. No one deserves this or deserves that. You earn your play in practice and in what you do on film. Film does not lie. You can bet every player is being graded very tough. Those not earning the grade are going to sit.

I bet the entire staff is looking for leaders to step up on both sides of the ball. No one sees what happens in the lockeroom, the practice field, nor the film room.

I'm for anyone that can win games but more importantly the desire to win games and play their ass off when things get tough. It will be interesting to see which players respond to adversity and which players will continue to play hard. Anyone can play hard when your winning and everyone is kissing your butt, but when the chips are down, WHO will respond? Which players and which coaches will respond to this adversity.

Edited by Dodge2007

Competition makes every player better. No one deserves this or deserves that. You earn your play in practice and in what you do on film. Film does not lie. You can bet every player is being graded very tough. Those not earning the grade are going to sit.

I bet the entire staff is looking for leaders to step up on both sides of the ball. No one sees what happens in the lockeroom, the practice field, nor the film room.

I'm for anyone that can win games but more importantly the desire to win games and play their ass off when things get tough. It will be interesting to see which players respond to adversity and which plaers will continue to play hard. Anyone can play hard when your winning and everyone is kissing your butt, but when the chips are down, WHO will respond? Which players and which coaches will respond to this adversity.

[it/quote]\

It's difficult to earn your play in practice when you aren't allowed to participate in practice. It is hard to have film on someone when all they have been allowed to do is stand on the sideline and watch.

The only leadership the entire staff is looking for is in Dodge's recruits. If you're not a Dodge recruit then you aren't allowed to be a leader.

Yea, he coaches are responding to adversity but hiding and not taking any responsibilty. All the blame is being placed on the the players. I haven't heard a coach including the head coach say anything about the play calling was bad or we didn't have the right players on the field.

Daniel is total class. It is ashame that he has been treated the way he has by Dodge. To hang in and finish his college career says tons for his character. I have much empathy for him. Daniel, I am really proud of you know you will be a success in whatever you do after college.