Unt Loses Another Receiver After Sophomore Quits

mgsteve

Quitter

Wow...Not sure where to start with that...

So he's suddenly realized he's not going to play in NFL...Ok, that's fair, I get that...

And since he's not going to play iin the NFL, he's interested in persuring a career in Oil & Gas....OK.. Again, nothing wrong with ambition & a dream. Kudos to him.

But honestly, to make that type of decision after the losing the 4th game of the year, when your team is down and needs you, seems nothing short of being a coward. Sorry is that's a little direct, but that's the BEST constructive criticism I can come up with.

Nice play Sam. No need to finish something you start. Lets see, you could always just finish out the season and decide not the play the next year. I would certainly respect THAT. I guess maybel the games and practice get in the way of the Oil & Gas Industry when youre 19-20 years old.

Hope he's never in the middle of drilling a well finacially backed by several investors..."Ummmmm I dont feeling like drilling anymore. Shut the drill down boys...Think I'll try being a stock broker..."

Im sure we dont know all the details, and maybe tempers flared between him and Dodge and he just decided he didnt need this. I still think theres something to said for finishing something you start (like at LEAST a season) and honoring committment. If TD hurt his feelings, get over it. Get mad, then go back to work. But quit in the middle of a season? Nice..

I bragged up Dibrell daily. He was one of my favorite players. I just lost respect for him as a person.

You dont quit in the middle of something. You dont let the rest of your brothers down and let them carry the load without you. You signed a contract now honor it like a man. You dont quit when things are the toughest cause you will do the same thing in similar situations the rest of your life. This shows your true colors and I would say yours is no longer green. Yellow suits Dib more.

So he's suddenly realized he's not going to play in NFL...Ok, that's fair, I get that...

And since he's not going to play iin the NFL, he's interested in persuring a career in Oil & Gas....OK.. Again, nothing wrong with ambition & a dream. Kudos to him.

But honestly, to make that type of decision after the losing the 4th game of the year, when your team is down and needs you, seems nothing short of being a coward. Sorry is that's a little direct, but that's the BEST constructive criticism I can come up with.

Nice play Sam. No need to finish something you start. Lets see, you could always just finish out the season and decide not the play the next year. I would certainly respect THAT. I guess maybel the games and practice get in the way of the Oil & Gas Industry when youre 19-20 years old.

Hope he's never in the middle of drilling a well finacially backed by several investors..."Ummmmm I dont feeling like drilling anymore. Shut the drill down boys...Think I'll try being a stock broker..."

Im sure we dont know all the details, and maybe tempers flared between him and Dodge and he just decided he didnt need this. I still think theres something to said for finishing something you start (like at LEAST a season) and honoring committment. If TD hurt his feelings, get over it. Get mad, then go back to work. But quit in the middle of a season? Nice..

I bragged up Dibrell daily. He was one of my favorite players. I just lost respect for him as a person.

So on the flip side of the "middle of the season coin" - Sam leaves the team now, new WR steps in and gets reps/experience. Next season we have a solid WR at that spot. Sam sticks out this season then leaves you're breaking in a "new" guy. Considering this season may be a wash Dibrill leaving now may not be a bad thing.

As for him not finishing what he started - get off the high horse. There are a million reasons why he may be leaving and I seriously doubt any of them are whimsy or hurt feelings.

So on the flip side of the "middle of the season coin" - Sam leaves the team now, new WR steps in and gets reps/experience. Next season we have a solid WR at that spot. Sam sticks out this season then leaves you're breaking in a "new" guy. Considering this season may be a wash Dibrill leaving now may not be a bad thing.

As for him not finishing what he started - get off the high horse. There are a million reasons why he may be leaving and I seriously doubt any of them are whimsy or hurt feelings.

maybe he is leaving for the same reason some SLC players left. Would not be surprised if he ends up at some Private School. :ph34r:

Come on, man? That's not fair. Sam is still a young man finding himself, and he was honest enough to go to the head coach and tell him his heart was no longer in it. He ws contributing and doing well, just didnt want to hurt the team by going through the motions. We all know what happens when you have a player who's not into the game or the team? (I'm speaking of a Woodward...a badly needed kicker who walked out on our program last year with no reason and left us with two walk-on kickers) He just quit... no desire? Give Sam some credit here for giving as much as he has before walking away. Yes, the loss of a receiver like that hurts your team... but better to put the guys out there who's hearts are still in it. I hope things go well for Sam.

GMG!!!

Not a good situation. I watched Dibrell walk back to the line of scrimmage lazily after almost every play at Rice and wondered what is issue was. He looked like he could care less about the game. Coincidentally enough, his family was sitting just above me, parents, grandparents, etc...

There are all kinds of reasons this stuff happens, and we generally know <1% of what is REALLY going on. 19-20 year olds make decisions that in hindsight they might make differently, and regarding Woodward--who I know for a fact didn't just 'walk out' on the team--ease up.

This is a young man...by all accounts a very good young man...who decided to leave the team. He made the decision, for whatever reason. That reason was good enough for him and he will handle the results of that decision. I think it's time for all those who are not "walking in his shoes" to lay off. The team will move forward, others will get opportunities and the sun will come up today and tomorrow for everyone. I understand the "you don't quit on your team" stuff that some are discussing here, but the team will not suffer because of this situation. If you talk to him and his teammates that were close to him you might find they "understand". Anyway, hold down the indignation folks...it's a young man who left a football team. Move on.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Sounds like it just wasn't fun anymore so... "I quit". Would be nice if the real world worked that way. Being MEAN GREEN isn't much fun right now but I'm still here. If there was a family issue etc would be nice to know so we could support him but just doesn't sound that way.

Oh please, what great sacrifice have you made? Are you being forced to watch bad football? Show up for mandatory 6:30 a.m. meetings? Personally get your ass kicked around by Rice? You're a FAN. You get to choose if you let it get to you; they don't. Good for you, you didn't quit. How I marvel at your bravery. Gimme a break; the fan experience/misery does not equate to that of the players.

I walked on the UNT football team, and I quit before the season started. My wife played college basketball and played quite a bit her freshman year and started her soph. and junior year and quit and didnt play her senior year. If you havent been there, then you really dont know how demanding it is and how it is basically just like a job. Always waking up real early for meetings or therapy or whatever while other kids sleep in. Practice or meetings everyday and in the afternoon, not to mention weights. It is nothing like High School sports. So if the guy's heart wasn't in it, then I dont blame him. And he is the only one that is going to have to live with it. I personally regret quitting but my wife has never regretted quitting one bit. We have 2 kids and I am going to teach them how quitting is unacceptable, but I think once you get into college it is totally different.

I've had several memebers of my family play various sports in college. Some stuck it out, some quit. It's alot for a kid to juggle - especially, if that kid is really hitting it academically.

The other thing is coming to terms with reality, i.e., is continuing simply a time-waste in the kid's mind?

We sit here and demand this or that, but the players are the ones who know what is going on behind the scenes. I suspect Sammy Dibrell is much like any other kid, he wants to win and was led to believe he could do so at North Texas.

Maybe his leaving does signal part of a locker room in disarray. Last year, it was easy to lay the blame of those who left on personal agendas and not agreeing with the new coaching staff. This year, though, it's Dodge's own guys leaving - even a couple from SLC.

Something's happening here. But, what it is ain't exactly clear.

Or, for those of us with a literary bent:

Horatio:

He waxes desperate with imagination.

Marcellus:

Let's follow. 'Tis not fit thus to obey him.

Horatio:

Have after. To what issue will this come?

Marcellus:

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark...er, I mean, Denton.

Horatio:

Heaven will direct it.

Marcellus:

Nay, let's follow him. [Exeunt.]

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Something's happening here. But, what it is ain't exactly clear.

I'm glad you stopped right there. There's enough pressure on everyone without the rest of that song:

There's a man with a gun over there

Telling me I got to beware

I think it's time we stop, children, what's that sound

Everybody look what's going down

On second thought, maybe we could use a little more motivation??? :D