Buying A Daily Ad To Support The Stadium Vote

rcade

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still offended by the "keep my nose out of it" part of all of this...just smells bad to me. Only thing I can say if we leave this up to the students then they better get the job done. After the vote...and it passes...it goes to the BOR then to the state, but where? HOR or Senate? I will be glad to do what I can to make sure the HOR or Senate gets the message.

Todd

Can we indirectly influence a vote without money, is that possible? <_<

As many have already said on this thread, any attempts by alums to sway this vote are likely to have more negative consequences than positive. As much as we all want this to pass, we are more likely to energize the "anti-" crowd with these tactics.

Every comment made on this board is "public". We should do our very best to avoid giving the opposition bulletin board material to use against the referendum.

The administration and RV are not saying that alumni cannot try to push this issue -- but they are saying loud and clear that it is a bad idea for us to get involved. This is a delicate time for UNT Athletics, and our own good intentions are more likely to backfire on us than help the cause.

Let the current students like UNTFlyer handle this phase of the fight. Our turn will come with the legislature and when it is time to step up with our stadium fund donations.

Here's another vote to stay out of it.

Do not get involved.

Alums trying to tell students who are spending their own money form part time jobs for college do not want someone who graduated 20 years ago to tell them how to think and what to do, that's why they wanted to get out of the house and move away in the first place.

I know fans here are passionate about the Stadium, but a lot of students are just itching for a "cause". Seeing a bunch of alums throwing money to persuade them will not go over well.

There are pro stadium stuydents around that are doing a good job educating others and getting the word out.......don't undo what they have done.

Anyone know if this would go to the state House of Representatives, Senate or both? When does the next session start? I can't find any info on their web site about sessions. I did find something about UNT starting a Pharmacy School at UNT Dallas which was news to me. It was dated last year so time probably ran out on that as well.

Anyone know if this would go to the state House of Representatives, Senate or both? When does the next session start? I can't find any info on their web site about sessions. I did find something about UNT starting a Pharmacy School at UNT Dallas which was news to me. It was dated last year so time probably ran out on that as well.

It appears to be both. Here is an article that mentions the "Legislature."

Edited by VideoEagle

The administration and RV are not saying that alumni cannot try to push this issue -- but they are saying loud and clear that it is a bad idea for us to get involved. This is a delicate time for UNT Athletics, and our own good intentions are more likely to backfire on us than help the cause.

"Leave it to us" has been the UNT athletic department's answer to everything in the 20 years I've been following the program.

What reason do we have to believe that they're doing everything that's needed to pass this vote? They lost four years ago, and I'll bet they wanted us to butt out then too.

The idea we shouldn't get involved is absurd. If the AD at Florida or Florida State said that here to the fans of those programs, he'd be handed his ass.

"Leave it to us" has been the UNT athletic department's answer to everything in the 20 years I've been following the program.

What reason do we have to believe that they're doing everything that's needed to pass this vote? They lost four years ago, and I'll bet they wanted us to butt out then too.

The idea we shouldn't get involved is absurd. If the AD at Florida or Florida State said that here to the fans of those programs, he'd be handed his ass.

The AD is not telling us to "not get involved" in the program (that would be very different!). They are saying that we should let students take the lead in pushing a student vote.

Backlash against alumni involvement was one of the motivating factors for the opposition in the last vote. It would be deja vu all over again if we give them ammunition to fire up the anti-crowd.

Let the students handle this one. We've got passionate, capable leaders in student government who are pushing this among the student groups. I trust them to do what is necessary and appropriate.

The AD is not telling us to "not get involved" in the program (that would be very different!). They are saying that we should let students take the lead in pushing a student vote.

There's a difference between letting students take the lead and letting students do everything. There may be ways we can help the three groups that seem most likely to get out the vote -- student government, Greek organizations and student athletes -- without creating the kind of backlash some of you feel so strongly about. But if we just sit on our hands here and do nothing, I think that's a huge, huge mistake.

There's a difference between letting students take the lead and letting students do everything. There may be ways we can help the three groups that seem most likely to get out the vote -- student government, Greek organizations and student athletes -- without creating the kind of backlash some of you feel so strongly about. But if we just sit on our hands here and do nothing, I think that's a huge, huge mistake.

The way we help is to tell them we will be there when the vote passes, we will help raise the rest of the money, we will buy season tickets, and donate to the mean green club. You can get involved by doing those things. Let the SGA handle it. Let them make sure the students know, we alums will be there when they pass this thing and the that they will not bare the full load. Besides most of them will be out of school by the time the fee is to be instituted.

Edited by filmerj

Well first of all, the vote 4 years ago was manipulated by a certain Senator who claimed it was a backdoor stadium referendum. The AD didn't do very much because, honestly who would vote against Title IX compliance?? Rick wasn't prepared for such opposition. it's different this time.

And when it comes to a student vote on a student fee, alumni involvement should be minimal. Where were these alumni over the past several decades, when as students they had opportunities to fix athletics at UNT? No, this is a student matter and it is up to the students to make it happen. Alumni will have the opportunity to get involved when it's time to raise the other $40 million.

And when it comes to a student vote on a student fee, alumni involvement should be minimal. Where were these alumni over the past several decades, when as students they had opportunities to fix athletics at UNT? No, this is a student matter and it is up to the students to make it happen. Alumni will have the opportunity to get involved when it's time to raise the other $40 million.

The fee begins in 2011. Most of the students voting on this will be alumni when students begin paying for part of the stadium. Students at UNT don't seem to realize that they'll be alumni a hell of a lot longer than they'll be students. The idea that you're the only ones who should factor into this -- when future students are paying the bill, not you -- seems absurd to me. It's a historic decision that involves alumni, students and future students.

As for what we did as students, my generation was around to change the name of the school, push to get us out of Division I-AA and almost elect a dalmation and squirrel homecoming king and queen. If we'd been given an opportunity to fund a new football stadium and had a school administration that favored it -- I love Big Al but he wasn't a football fan by any stretch -- I hope we would've gotten it done.

Actually, I think there is something we as alumni can do to support this vote. There are just two home games before the vote. Make sure you are at those games. Bring friends. Bring family. Strong attendance at these two games could only help the cause and send a message to the students and to potential contributors that the alumni are with the program, win or lose. It will also let the students know that the alumni will be there when it comes time to help raise the rest of the funding for a new stadium.

If you can't go to a game, post your tickets on the Ticket Exchange. If you need tickets or know someone who might like to attend, check the Ticket Exchange. Make sure no ticket that has already been purchased goes unused. If you can't sell your tickets then give them to somebody. Maybe there are some local youths that would like to attend.

I'm not saying all is well and I'm not saying you have to support the current coaches. But this goes well beyond Todd Dodge or RV. This is about the long-term vision for our University. We can talk all we want about the need for a new stadium, but it will speak much louder for the alumni to show up in big numbers, especially on the heels of last week's game.

Fill Fouts to replace Fouts.

Look. I am hoping my many years of taking care of this board and just generally putting a lot of work into building GoMeanGreen.com into a great place for fans to congregate gives this some gravitas:

Don't run this ad. This will only galvanize the opposition. It will seem to be meddling by most of the students. I worked on campus the last time the alumni did this, it completely soured the vote.

I heard from SGA. As UntFlyer says, any individual or group that spends money advocating in a student election like this referendum is limited to $1,000.

I'm looking at alternatives to a Daily ad. Are there any web sites that make the case for the proposal? I've been skimming the Facebook group, but haven't found a site other than that.

I heard from SGA. As UntFlyer says, any individual or group that spends money advocating in a student election like this referendum is limited to $1,000.

I'm looking at alternatives to a Daily ad. Are there any web sites that make the case for the proposal? I've been skimming the Facebook group, but haven't found a site other than that.

You don't need a webstie if there is a facebook page. Kids today love some facebook.