Post Game Lsu Thoughts

Harry

Says Harry: "The problem with this program right now, and the main reason why we aren’t playing more competitive in our non-conference schedule comes down to one thing, we don’t have enough quality D-I linemen. It’s really that simple and games against powerhouse programs like LSU just magnify that discrepancy. If Dodge only has 15 spots to give in this next recruiting class he ought to invest 14 of them in big, nasty bodies that have the will and desire to play this game. I don’t buy that there aren’t enough of them. I know we aren’t in a position to get the pick of the litter, but we need to take the lead from other Sun Belt programs who have proven building an offensive and defensive line can be done without signing top 100 talent. It just takes attention."

I wanted to add to Harry's thoughts by adding my agreement, because if this team can begin landing the beef on the lines, and developing their attitude--which must be straight "We're going to line up, and I'm going to kick your ass"--this will be a very formidable program. I'd like to follow this up by commenting that the improvement we're starting to see in the line play--however incremental--speaks well of the coaching and the willingness to buy in to the system that these young men are in. That's a good sign.

I believe that there are many bright spots, and for those that are wondering if this team/program is progressing from last year--the answer is yes. I expected more of a demolition at LSU, and it didn't really happen. Call it what you want. Nobody wants a beatdown, but there is improvement, and with these young players, it's going to be 2 steps ahead, and one back this year. I just get the sense, and from watching the talent improving, that the MG is headed in the right direction.

Think of it this way: Last year's defensive scheme sucked. That has been addressed. Dodge has brought in young, talented players at the skill sets: WR/QB/RB/DB. He has landed some good players in the kicking team. The LB play is very good. The DB play is improving every week, and I still believe will be a strength by the end of the year. From what I'm seeing, I believe TD and his staff are beginning to get their bearings, and the staff's coaching ability is beginning to be evident. Thoughts?

At this point, IMO, the areas that must be addressed NOW, are the cover and return units, mental mistakes, and the continuing play of the OL/DL. If the MG can start influencing field position positively, they stand a much better chance of success in the remaining games, because the OL is making baby steps. The line play is going to be what it is this year, but if the ST play can improve, and adjustments can be made going forward to improve, I believe we will see a better W/L record for the MG during league action. Has to happen fast, because the ASU's and Troy's of the world have very good line play.

We're going to see whose hogs have the biggest stones in the SBC in a few weeks.

You think UNT right now could hold Michigan State to 17-0? And you think LSU was up for the UNT scrimmage and went all-out for 60 minutes? Guess you missed the part about the 3rd string QB getting his redshirt burned and the 4th string players LSU paraded out in the second half. Let's put this in perspective, a 1-AA team played LSU closer than we did. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

They did that in the last possesion. Get real.

They did that in the last possesion. Get real.

yeah late in the 4th quarter they brought in Jarret Lee their young QB and wanted him to get game experience so they brought him in with the 1st stringers. Fine by me, they weren't trying to run up the score. But just showing that they did'nt have the practice squad in there the entire second half.

I though the Mean Green did the best they could, and played very good considering

that LSU is ranked # 7 in the BCS, the athletes LSU has, and playing in their house

in front of 90K plus drunk LSU fans. LSU has the most size and speed that North

Texas will face this year, which this type of competion was good to go against.

All the players did benefit in experience and gained confidence.

There were many good indications this North Texas team has improved in many

areas, but not all phases of the game. There were several times the NT offense

looked pretty good against the LSU defense and their constant blitzing packages.

I do believe this young team is learning and learning fast, and I am glad the team

is going against some of the best teams in college football. I do believe the defense

has improved and will continue to grow. The Mean will be back in the Green.

Now, with the 3 hardest games out of the way, there are 9 games remaining for

the season. I do believe this team can play FA-Who, Troy, the Muts, and Aky State

pretty much even. The Rice game could be the spring board the team needs, so the

week off should help heal up the players, and time for the staff to make some

adjustments in needed schemes. I really like the players and talent that Coach

Dodge and his staff has brought in. The young guys are going to make us proud

very soon!

It should be an NCAA rule that for non-conference games, the officiating crew is provided by the visiting team's conference. Yes, I know that in the short term, the argument from the "big six" would be that the crews from the SBC, CUSA, etc. wouldn't be as qualified as theirs, but in the long run, I think it would not only ensure fairness, but also improve the quality of officiating.

That stuff is decided when the contracts are made. So, contact your school's athletic director to see if he insisted that SBC officials be mixed in or a third party conference group of officials was requested. This is one of the jobs of the athletic director.

I agree. I think our offensive line has been a pleasant surprise and the biggest all around improvement since last season. Those were huge line men they went up against and everyone knows we have a thin offensive line rotation.... basically our o-lineman went at against massive d-lineman the entire game and never allowed a single sack.... very nice accomplishment. Also, Vizza is playing with a seasoned QB maturity well beyond his years. I have a feeling that Rice could be our first win of the season. If not, it will be a game that we are very competitive in. It seems many things are coming together.... Last.....special, or rather not-so-special, teams may be our Achilles heal this season.

From an email I received from an LSU grad/fan:

"All in all, UNT looked better than I thought they would. I was very impressed with the O-line and how they protected your QB. LSU’s defensive front 4 is considered to be one of the best. I thought we would have seen at least 5 sacks. The offense continued to drive. Things might be looking up…"

From an email I received from an LSU grad/fan:

"All in all, UNT looked better than I thought they would. I was very impressed with the O-line and how they protected your QB. LSU’s defensive front 4 is considered to be one of the best. I thought we would have seen at least 5 sacks. The offense continued to drive. Things might be looking up…"

This is what I saw and are excited about... I was surprised at the negativity about the Mean Green's performance in media and some on this board... of course 41-3 is never something to be happy about, but when you can't win games in your own conference, achieving the above goals are considerable against one the nation's best teams. I have a feeling that Rice will be a win and if not, it will be one hell of game.

If we played the game in the same conditions that FAU did? Absolutely. That game was played in a non-stop driving rain. Neither team could throw the ball b/c they could barely hold onto it as it was.

Don't sell FAU short. This was not your vintage Rusty Smith. In fact at Miami, FAU wins in a walk. FAU beat a decent UAB team,lost to UT in what was definitely not a trap game. They, Troy, AR St., MUTS, ULM,and perhaps ULL will all be in the SBC hunt. The SBC looks as good as it has ever been to me. We improved against LSU, but don't think SBC play is going to be any kind of cake walk.

A TRIUMPHANT RETURN! HUZZAH!

Good to see you are back to posting, post IKE.

Gracias y gracias.

Oh how I have missed my GMG. Been a nice little week off, you know, once you get past the whole "total inconvenience of every aspect of life" thing. Once I have some time, I'll share the excitement that was Ike in one of the unrelated forums.

I obviously didnt see the LSU game but from all accounts, sounds like we might be moving in the right (or right-ish) direction so I guess I'll wait to cash in my showerhead/leather belt/neck trifecta until after the Rice game- which Im all kinds of excited about.

I obviously didnt see the LSU game but from all accounts, sounds like we might be moving in the right (or right-ish) direction so I guess I'll wait to cash in my showerhead/leather belt/neck trifecta until after the Rice game- which Im all kinds of excited about.

Don't get your hopes too high. They played better, but still a long ways to go. I am hoping to have a margin of victory for Rice of less than 15.