Post Game Lsu Thoughts

Harry

Guest GrayEagleOne

I agree with a lot of your points except for the offensive line. I can't recall the last time Vizza was sacked. They have done an admirable job at protecting the passer and have even sprung our RBs loose for several long gains. They had a much tougher time tonight against perhaps the best defensive line in the country. They don't back down even though we are missing our best o-lineman in Kelvin Drake.

You'd hardly know that Royce Hill is a true freshman playing in only his third game but Kylie, after costing them 15 yards on the out-of-bounds hit came right back on the next play with the interception.

Special teams continue to hurt us and we need a coach whose only duty is special teams. We have enough speed to do much better than we have been doing on both coverage and returns. They need to be taught angle of pursuit, shedding blockers in the open field, lanes, etc.

I have also been disappointed in the defensive tackle play. Miller is nowhere near last year's production and I still think that he is our best defensive tackle. Thomas has made several nice plays but he needs help. Two that could help are Franklin and Scoggins but they've played in the first game only. Miller and Thomas are seniors and next year there'll be no experienced DTs.

We have to be really proud of the effort from everyone that played. Except for about four or five big plays, we played very well against the defending national champions. We can't match their talent or speed but we had several big plays by the defense. And, all of that with five starters missing. We'll get there.

I agree. I think our offensive line has been a pleasant surprise and the biggest all around improvement since last season. Those were huge line men they went up against and everyone knows we have a thin offensive line rotation.... basically our o-lineman went at against massive d-lineman the entire game and never allowed a single sack.... very nice accomplishment. Also, Vizza is playing with a seasoned QB maturity well beyond his years. I have a feeling that Rice could be our first win of the season. If not, it will be a game that we are very competitive in. It seems many things are coming together.... Last.....special, or rather not-so-special, teams may be our Achilles heal this season.

Edited by chrisfisher

I agree. I think our offensive line has been a pleasant surprise and the biggest all around improvement since last season. Those were huge line men they went up against and everyone knows we have a thin offensive line rotation.... basically our o-lineman went at against massive d-lineman the entire game and never allowed a single sack.... very nice accomplishment. Also, Vizza is playing with a seasoned QB maturity well beyond his years. I have a feeling that Rice could be our first win of the season. If not, it will be a game that we are very competitive in. It seems many things are coming together.... Last.....special, or rather not-so-special, teams may be our Achilles heal this season.

Good post. LSU was freaking huge on both lines of scrimmage. Vizza got rid of the ball to avoid sacks and scrambled when he could to get out of trouble or make a play.

I'm impressed with how Vizza has taken care of the ball this year. Against very tough opponents, with an inconsistent running game and offensive line, to have no interceptions and so few sacks (six sacks in three games in which you were beat by a cumulative 142-35 is amazing) is an indication of Vizza's awareness and recognition of situations. It's so easy to throw interceptions when you're getting hit and trying to avoiding sacks, but Vizza has done a good job of throwing the ball away out of danger, and yet he's completing 59.6 percent of his passes. Give him a little more protection and let Cam Montgomery and Lance Dunbar continue to improve, and Vizza should have a chance for real success.

Overall, I thought this game was a step forward. Maybe that says more about where we're coming from than how much progress we've made, but it's still a step forward.

Vizza was able to complete third down conversions because of the OL.

The team was overmatched but played their hearts out and it showed on the field.

Special Teams needs major improvements fast

How much longer until we say Robert Drake is in over his head? I don't know all that much about special teams, but it seems our DEF LINE could use some work as well. He's a Southlake holdover that also enjoyed success at the HS level, much like Mendoza. I too, don't believe all the special teams fubars are personnel, but then again, it's easier to blame coaches rather than players and our competition has been much better than better than average.

The offensive line has been terrible in the first two games of this season, I don't understand how anyone could be calling them a bright spot after the KSU and Tulsa game.

What is most interesting to me about this debate on this board is that nobody is talking about the MASSIVE ONE WEEK improvement in the play of the Offensive line. The 180 change in the play of this unit can not be overstated.

Many of the "same old" problems remain. Too many STUPID penalties. Special teams is terrible. There is a speed deficit on defense, especially in the secondary against this type of team, hence the big play being given up.

...but when you consider how well the defense played, stopping LSU on a couple of drives, getting pressure in the backfield, and the increase in play we saw from the O-line (assuming it is permanant) and the mistake free play from Vizza, there is a lot to be excited about looking forward.

If we can coach away the stupid penalties thing, and play in the 'Belt the way we did last night, we're going to have a much better result at the end of this year than we did last year and we'll have a clear path forward.

How much longer until we say Robert Drake is in over his head? I don't know all that much about special teams, but it seems our DEF LINE could use some work as well. He's a Southlake holdover that also enjoyed success at the HS level, much like Mendoza. I too, don't believe all the special teams fubars are personnel, but then again, it's easier to blame coaches rather than players and our competition has been much better than better than average.

I didn't realize that our special teams coach was a Southlake coach brought in by Dodge. I'm sorry to say this, but this explains it for me. Our special teams have been beyond horrible.... I see another coach going to the chop block at some point during this season or after it ends.

Saw some good things...many have already been commented on here, so I'll just say UNT looked better than I anticipated against last season's BCS Champ. And, just what did you expect would happen? Come on, it was LSU not SMU!!!!

I do, however, agree with the special teams comments...special teams is not so special and some work needs to be done. This aspect of UNT's game is not at all where it needs to be NOW!

Sorry, 41-3 is not acceptable on any level. I doubt LSU was very up for UNT coming to town. While ULL, Muts, Ark State, FAU et al are hanging with the big boys, we are trying to make excuses. You can put lipstick on this pig if you want, you know the rest... <_<

It's Sarah Palin?

j/k

Sorry, 41-3 is not acceptable on any level. I doubt LSU was very up for UNT coming to town. While ULL, Muts, Ark State, FAU et al are hanging with the big boys, we are trying to make excuses. You can put lipstick on this pig if you want, you know the rest... <_<

Conf. favorite FAU got shut out against an unranked team, for the record.

I love how people have to find ways to dump on the real positives we saw last night. The good things have to be diminished, because you "doubt LSU was very up for UNT coming to town." Good to know you are so connected to the LSU Locker Room. :rolleyes:

I would add one more thought and that is our tackling still needs to improve. True the LSU backs were bigger, meaner,and nastier than any encountered so far, but on the one return there were five players getting a hand on the return man. None had proper technique ( squared up , head in front of the runner , explode into the sternum, eye on belt buckle which will not move no matter how much the runner juucks, staying in their lanes, and clubbing their arms to wrap up). No matter how big someone is, he can't run if you tie up his legs, just grab and wait for help if nothing else. Officiating was what you would expect on the road --numerous blocks in the back never called, and the "late hit" in bounds was actually ludicrous as our player was trying to hold up and actually whiffed on the replay--very poor call.

I would add one more thought and that is our tackling still needs to improve. True the LSU backs were bigger, meaner,and nastier than any encountered so far, but on the one return there were five players getting a hand on the return man. None had proper technique ( squared up , head in front of the runner , explode into the sternum, eye on belt buckle which will not move no matter how much the runner juucks, staying in their lanes, and clubbing their arms to wrap up). No matter how big someone is, he can't run if you tie up his legs, just grab and wait for help if nothing else. Officiating was what you would expect on the road --numerous blocks in the back never called, and the "late hit" in bounds was actually ludicrous as our player was trying to hold up and actually whiffed on the replay--very poor call.

Our team is slowly getting better. Let's be patient.

I agree on the officiating... there were several calls and non-calls that I thought were due to the home field advantage. Wasn't horrible officiating and we certainly did not lose because of it... I just thought the calls overall favored LSU.

That is shocking. I'm shocked. Shocked. <_<

OK. It was beautifully and perfectly balanced officiating game.... feel better? All I said was there was some calls that didn't go our way.... bit of an over reaction on your part?

It should be an NCAA rule that for non-conference games, the officiating crew is provided by the visiting team's conference. Yes, I know that in the short term, the argument from the "big six" would be that the crews from the SBC, CUSA, etc. wouldn't be as qualified as theirs, but in the long run, I think it would not only ensure fairness, but also improve the quality of officiating.

It should be an NCAA rule that for non-conference games, the officiating crew is provided by the visiting team's conference. Yes, I know that in the short term, the argument from the "big six" would be that the crews from the SBC, CUSA, etc. wouldn't be as qualified as theirs, but in the long run, I think it would not only ensure fairness, but also improve the quality of officiating.

I think it should either be from the visiting team's conference or from a third conference. Remember OU and the Pac10 a while back. It doesn't just happen to SBC teams.

Conf. favorite FAU got shut out against an unranked team, for the record.

I love how people have to find ways to dump on the real positives we saw last night. The good things have to be diminished, because you "doubt LSU was very up for UNT coming to town." Good to know you are so connected to the LSU Locker Room. :rolleyes:

You think UNT right now could hold Michigan State to 17-0? And you think LSU was up for the UNT scrimmage and went all-out for 60 minutes? Guess you missed the part about the 3rd string QB getting his redshirt burned and the 4th string players LSU paraded out in the second half. Let's put this in perspective, a 1-AA team played LSU closer than we did. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by NT80

You think UNT right now could hold Michigan State to 17-0? And you think LSU was up for the UNT scrimmage and went all-out for 60 minutes? Guess you missed the part about the 3rd string QB getting his redshirt burned and the 4th string players LSU paraded out in the second half. Let's put this in perspective, a 1-AA team played LSU closer than we did. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well at least we have two weeks to get prepared for Rice.

Did Gilmore play in the LSU game any???