Practice Notes, Riley Won't Be Backup Qb

Brett Vito

Riley on the travel squad = No redshirt

That is not true.. you can be on the travel squad everyweek, and still get redshirted.. My guess is they want to be ready for possible injuries at QB, and if there are an injury or two they want to have Riley around for his knowledge of the system. I would assume after a few games if he has not played he may be removed from the travel squad as that is changed from week to week.

Having Riley on the travel team is a no brainer the guy is like a coach on the field with his knowledge of his dad's offense.

That, and it allows him to become comfortable in the college gameday setting in places like Minihatten and Baton Rouge and experience the speed of the game from the sideline.

Riley on the travel squad = No redshirt
The two, as has already been stated, have nothing to do with each other...Riley WILL redshirt...barring a slew of injuries

Could be that not taking a redshirt this year gives him a redshirt year to transfer and still have 3 years of eligiblity left. May indicate that both father and son are gone if no stadium is built.

This has got to be one of the more negative posts I have read in quite a long time...there is nothing but doom & gloom in this one, and the greatest thing about it is that not only have we not even played a game, but we haven't even really practiced for our first game...we just got out of fall camp

Could be that not taking a redshirt this year gives him a redshirt year to transfer and still have 3 years of eligiblity left. May indicate that both father and son are gone if no stadium is built.

I would recommend icing and elevating that knee.

Please excuse me if I'm wrong, but isn't a redshirt simply the result of someone not playing during the season, rather than someone being designated as such before the season begins? Did Dodge (or does any coach) "declare" someone as a redshirt, or do they simply not play them? It seems like a decision that would often be useful to delay. Honestly, as long as he can serve some useful purpose, signalling plays or keeping notes, whatever, I'm ok with Riley traveling but not playing.

That is not true.. you can be on the travel squad everyweek, and still get redshirted.. My guess is they want to be ready for possible injuries at QB, and if there are an injury or two they want to have Riley around for his knowledge of the system. I would assume after a few games if he has not played he may be removed from the travel squad as that is changed from week to week.

If I remember correctly, Jomario was used the same way. His redshirt came off against Texas his freshman year.

I dont understand why anyone would be hell-bent on Riley playing this year... this article clearly states what many have speculated all year. He wont be the backup, he'll redshirt. This makes the most sense for UNT in the long run... and not because he's going to transfer. He can put on weight, continue to rehab shoulder and be the backup next year.

Vizza is our guy. He earned it last year and I he'll do it again this year.

Great insight! It really flew way over the heads of most people who frequent this board. You're a smart man. This very well could happen. I, like you, hope that it's not the case. But like you, I'am wise enough to know it's possible.

Remember, that when you go to drink from the pond always cup the water in your hands and lift the water to your mouth. This way you can always see whats going on around you. Might even save your life?

Good input, Dallas Green!

Guest Aquila_Viridis

Remember, that when you go to drink from the pond always cup the water in your hands and lift the water to your mouth. This way you can always see whats going on around you. Might even save your life?

Thank you, Tonto.

Great insight! It really flew way over the heads of most people who frequent this board. You're a smart man. This very well could happen. I, like you, hope that it's not the case. But like you, I'am wise enough to know it's possible.

Good input, Dallas Green!

Oh, I don't think it went over anyone's head. I just think we all don't see the Dodge's thinking that way. I was also disappointed that Dallas Green has apparently gone back to his negative ways.

Oh, I don't think it went over anyone's head. I just think we all don't see the Dodge's thinking that way. I was also disappointed that Dallas Green has apparently gone back to his negative ways.

You're just mad and bitter you didn't get to go to their secret MENSA meetings because you aren't smart enough.

The two, as has already been stated, have nothing to do with each other...Riley WILL redshirt...barring a slew of injuries

This has got to be one of the more negative posts I have read in quite a long time...there is nothing but doom & gloom in this one, and the greatest thing about it is that not only have we not even played a game, but we haven't even really practiced for our first game...we just got out of fall camp

It would be naive to think the Dodges don't have a backup plan. I don't think it is too far out of the realm of possibility.