Practice Notes, Riley Won't Be Backup Qb

Brett Vito

I believe he ran a couple plays that game if i remember right.

Yeah, and what many forget is that those two meaningless carries dropped what would have been an absolutely incredible, per-game average of 200.22 yards per game down to what he ended up with in '04, 180.1 yards per game. Against Texas, he played very late in the game earning minus 1 yard on two carries. He had one carry at the 5:46 mark of the 4th quarter for a loss of 1 yard, and another with 1:39 to go in the 4th for no gain, forcing his per game average to be divided by 10 instead of 9. Not entirely sure but it would seem that 200 yards per game average doesn't happen too often, especially by a freshman. Jamario would have led the nearest guy..Cal's J.J. Arrington, by 32 yards per game. Crazy! I wish that when they write this up in the media guide they would offer an asterix on this fact as we may never see that again at North Texas.

Rick

It would be naive to think the Dodges don't have a backup plan. I don't think it is too far out of the realm of possibility.

I think it's extremely naive. The man was promised, and has therefore promised to recruits, a stadium by a certain date. He then brought with him the best recruit ratings wise we've seen in quite some time...and that kid also happens to be his son. Are we so stubborn as to not look at the fact that self-preservation exists, especially amongst coaches (Nick Saban, Fran, etc anyone?) and that NT is not guaranteed that Todge is so "loyal?" Let's all keep clinging to the ridiculous hope that if we ignore the possibility of bad things happening they somehow won't.

I think it's extremely naive. The man was promised, and has therefore promised to recruits, a stadium by a certain date. He then brought with him the best recruit ratings wise we've seen in quite some time...and that kid also happens to be his son. Are we so stubborn as to not look at the fact that self-preservation exists, especially amongst coaches (Nick Saban, Fran, etc anyone?) and that NT is not guaranteed that Todge is so "loyal?" Let's all keep clinging to the ridiculous hope that if we ignore the possibility of bad things happening they somehow won't.

Reminds me of the fan base after Jamario's freshman year - the success was more than we could take I suppose because still there were posts of fear that he was going to transfer to a Big 12 school. We need to quit thinking we are undeserving of greatness and start expecting (demanding) it instead.

While I don't think Dodge would withhold Riley's redshirt in case he needs or wants to transfer later on, I do think there could be serious consequences for this program - on a lot of fronts - if the 2010 season starts and UNT has not at least started turning dirt on a new stadium. If the stadium isn't ready in 2010 but is under construction, I think Dodge would wait. But if the stadium status of today still exists in 2010, I would not blame Dodge one bit for leaving and taking Riley with him.

I know what UNTflyer says about the stadium progress, and I cannot tell you, flyer, just how much I want to believe you. I do believe you are sincere, and, please please please please, from your lips to God's ear. But having grown up in Denton and having attended events at Fouts Field for forty-plus years (you guys think Fouts is bad now, you should have seen it in the 70s), frankly, I'll believe North Texas has a new stadium when I see it. Or at least when I see construction begin.

Negative? Maybe. Realistic? Absolutely. North Texas deserves our support, but its history has earned it rational skepticism and a keep-their-feet-to-the-fire attitude.

• 3 weeks later...