Dodge To Rely On Small Tackles

MCMLXXX

Screw it. Do you see the weights of the other teams? A few pounds...or even 30 or 40...doesn't compare if you've got somebody angry and hungry to win, especially if they're in shape.

The weight argument always reminds me of Legends of the Fall, when Anthony Hopkins tells Brad Pitt the bartender has X amount of weight on him. So what? I've never been over 153 and I took down a 325 guy in one hit...and I've also been on my ass a couple of times from guys my size. Being on the line is the same as being in a fight, just with more rules. A smaller guy with more skills and more training and more FIGHT in him can DESTROY a guy 50+ pounds bigger. Doesn't matter who they are.

So again I say SCREW IT and GO VERY MEAN GREEN!

Screw it. Do you see the weights of the other teams? A few pounds...or even 30 or 40...doesn't compare if you've got somebody angry and hungry to win, especially if they're in shape.

The weight argument always reminds me of Legends of the Fall, when Anthony Hopkins tells Brad Pitt the bartender has X amount of weight on him. So what? I've never been over 153 and I took down a 325 guy in one hit...and I've also been on my ass a couple of times from guys my size. Being on the line is the same as being in a fight, just with more rules. A smaller guy with more skills and more training and more FIGHT in him can DESTROY a guy 50+ pounds bigger. Doesn't matter who they are.

Excellent points. PLUS everyone needs to remember that a very experienced D-1 O-line coach is making this decision to start Gill.

I don't follow high school football including when Dodge was at Southlake. However, from what I read and heard Dodge won championships not because of his players' incredible size or athleticism, but because they were the best coached team around. Let's hope that Dodge can create the same magic and will to win as he did at Southlake.

This is the first time I have openly admitted it, but the SKY IS DEFINITELY FALLING!

This is not good. I do have to hold to the belief that both JUCO o-linemen will be in the starting lineup when conference games start to roll in.

As musch as I hate the theory, we are in a stage where our season doesn't really begin until conference games roll around...maybe someday soon we can put something into who is playing during the non-conference part of our schedule, but that time is not now I am sad to say. :(

I think that we are just kind of waiting to see how much longer it will take the Juco's to get "game ready" and once one or both do then the lineup will change. And lets look at what Dodge said here...If the season ended TODAY, Gill would start. It doesn't say that he is the starter for the opener. As of now he is, who knows about a week and a half from now.

I've only seen one practice this year and it was before full paids. I have to trust Dodge and Coach Lefty who are working with these guys everyday. My only worry is that on the college level you get big DL's, with good technique, and a mean streak. With few exceptions (and this may be one of them), you just don't win week in and week out with undersize linemen who have good technique. It will catchup with you when you go against big linemen with good technique.

My guess is the bigger issue here is one of chemistry. The OL missed much of Spring to play together due to nagging injuries. Now they have missed much of Fall camp to play together due to injuries. Its now a matter of plugging guys into the best positions and get reps to prepare for a season. Somewhere the coaches have to cross that line of practicing and reps trumps potential talent sitting on the sideline. They have to get ready for the season with the healthy bodies they have. The article did mention the "if the season started today" scenario.

FAU is starting one at 245lbs. Schnelly must be comfortable with that. It seems to me they put up plenty of offense last year with a 245 lb Tackle, and their offense involves a more extensive running game than ours.

The size thing is merely a number and nothing else. The coaches are doing what they feel is in the best interest of this team, and this offense.

FAU is starting one at 245lbs. Schnelly must be comfortable with that. It seems to me they put up plenty of offense last year with a 245 lb Tackle, and their offense involves a more extensive running game than ours.

The size thing is merely a number and nothing else. The coaches are doing what they feel is in the best interest of this team, and this offense.

Remember our offense. Quick passes, slants, outs, slips, screens, draws. Linemen just have to redirect the big guys, not pancake them. It's all in the scheme. Make the d-line run after the ball for 2 - 2.5 quarters. Get them tired, then start moving the ball down field. Dodge has always coached this. He score in bunches from mid-way 3rd quarter on.

The DRC got the weight wrong, the FAU roster lists him as 270 and he is a Senior. Even so, the weight difference is not that substantial.

All the weight in the world does nothing if the other lineman can beat you to their blocks faster and get the leverage initiative before you do.

And that is where the Top 50 teams have it over the others. Their linemen can do that AND weigh over 300 pounds. Otherwise, sometimes weight (if it makes you slow) is actually a detriment. Some 1-AA teams have big linemen, but they are SLOW!!!

Well on a positive note if Gill is that good it will only add to their depth in future years. My concern is now that Menard has added the additional weight has it rendered him ineffective at the tackle spot? That's the position that is hardest to fill imho..

This is football not a barfight. Weight means everything when it comes to blocking a pass rushing DE. Remember, you've got a 230 - 280 pound defensive end coming full blast at a guy who has to back pedal and stop his momentum. Why do you think Tackles are the biggest players on an OL? Ever think of the angle DE's can take coming full speed at a Tackle????? Guards have it so much easier playing DT's. As an ex college lineman, I can tell you this is the hardest thing to do. This isn't like run blocking when you can tee off on a guy. Strength, weight, reach, & technique/skill are all important.

Edited by Got5onIt

Well, you have more experience on the field, so I'll give you the edge but...

My only worry is that on the college level you get big DL's, with good technique, and a mean streak. With few exceptions (and this may be one of them), you just don't win week in and week out with undersize linemen who have good technique. It will catchup with you when you go against big linemen with good technique.

...it sounds a lot like that. My thought is, you give me one big guy and one little guy with the same skill, technique, etc...then take the littler guy and add pissed-off-ness (?) and a great winning mentality. I don't care what sport it is, if there's a guy like that, I'd pick him any day over a bigger version without the intangibles. Sorry to beat the same stupid drum, but App. St. really didn't have anything on UM except a great attitude and a bunch of guys who were pissed at losing to big teams.

There's a big misconception with offensive line size in this kind of offense. Anyone care to guess who had the biggest offensive line in the nation last year? It wasn't a running team.

It was Texas Tech.

While we may not need them pancaking, we do need them to give the QB time to make his checks.

I'm a tad bit concerned.

I hope I'm wrong........

Beast Mode

5:16 p.m.

The “Big Uglies” (o-line and d-line) just wrapped up some one-on-one battles. Two of the highlights: Isaac Thomas completely took Matthew Menard to school and breezed right by him, causing Menard to shout some not so nice words in disgust. Bryan Glass also had a huge pancake block of Jordan Scoggins, which caused a huge uproar of ooos and ahhhs from teammates.

live blog