Point Spread Already Out...starts At 25

SHOSS

I saw on the Kansas State board that the point spread has been set at 25... As I recall, this isn't very much more than the spread for the SMU game last year...

Twill be interesting to see how the line moves as we get closer...

This is a very difficult matchup to assess... UNT in its second year with new coaching staff(new d-coord of course), and KSU didn't finish very well at all last year and bringing in all those JUCO's. Lots of moving parts.

Alot has been made about Kansas State's signing of 19 JUCOs. However, they return seven starters on offense including the 6-6, 250 lb QB who has beaten the Texas Longhorns twice. I think 25 is on the low side.

The Wildcats lost six starters on defense - three of those in the secondary. However, if we can't get a pass rush (SEE the two DEs who couldn't go to class enough), they'll simply run all over us all day and our offense won't have many chances to exploit the new secondary.

I really, really hate this type of game. OU bombed us with redshirt freshman right out of the gate last year. K-State has a junior QB the size of a defensive end...in fact, he'll probably be bigger than our defensive ends. I just don't like it. Talk is talk. But, when you go over and see what the Wildcats have coming back...I just don't see the "upset" talk being anything more than that.

Pray for a pass rush and multiple special teams screw ups by KSU - they'll be breaking in a new punter and holder, and their top kick returner graduated. There's an edge we have.

Alot has been made about Kansas State's signing of 19 JUCOs. However, they return seven starters on offense including the 6-6, 250 lb QB who has beaten the Texas Longhorns twice. I think 25 is on the low side.

The Wildcats lost six starters on defense - three of those in the secondary. However, if we can't get a pass rush (SEE the two DEs who couldn't go to class enough), they'll simply run all over us all day and our offense won't have many chances to exploit the new secondary.

I really, really hate this type of game. OU bombed us with redshirt freshman right out of the gate last year. K-State has a junior QB the size of a defensive end...in fact, he'll probably be bigger than our defensive ends. I just don't like it. Talk is talk. But, when you go over and see what the Wildcats have coming back...I just don't see the "upset" talk being anything more than that.

Pray for a pass rush and multiple special teams screw ups by KSU - they'll be breaking in a new punter and holder, and their top kick returner graduated. There's an edge we have.

Our special Teams is usually one of the best in the nation. We might have lost Jordy punt Deon Murphy will be right their Phil Steele rates him as #1 Punt Returner in the nation. The Punter was a 1st team Juco All-American. I dont know if the pass rush will work against the #17 best OL in the nation once again by Phil Steele. But the only thing im worried about is our running game all the guys that are going to be are rb's are either freshman or juco walk on.

Our special Teams is usually one of the best in the nation. We might have lost Jordy punt Deon Murphy will be right their Phil Steele rates him as #1 Punt Returner in the nation. The Punter was a 1st team Juco All-American. I dont know if the pass rush will work against the #17 best OL in the nation once again by Phil Steele. But the only thing im worried about is our running game all the guys that are going to be are rb's are either freshman or juco walk on.

Check the line matchup - I can't imagine running being a huge problem in this game.

Only when the lines are evenly matched. My heart says don't agree with Lonnie, but my brain says give in to the power of logic.

Check the line matchup - I can't imagine running being a huge problem in this game.

Only when the lines are evenly matched. My heart says don't agree with Lonnie, but my brain says give in to the power of logic.

Hate to join the dark side, also, but the only logical chance we have against KSU is that they DRAMATICALLY underestimate us. We did close the season with a loss to FIU, so that bodes well for us. ;)

I'm with Lonnie in this, except that OU's freshman last year turned out to be pretty darned good.

But you put a 16 year-old up behind K-States o-line against our current DL, and he'll look pretty darned good.

yea let alone a 6'6 250 QB who thinks he is the best in the Big 12. Which is what freeman said yesterday at the big 12 media day. He said he is the best QB in the big 12.

Isn't Chase Daniel and Graham Harrell in the big 12???

Big XII Website

2008 Preseason All-Big 12 Football Team Announced 7/17/2008

Chase Daniel (Missouri) was named Preseason Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year, Auston English (Oklahoma) was selected Preseason Defensive Player of the Year and Darrell Scott (Colorado) was chosen Preseason Newcomer of the Year in a Big 12 Conference media poll.

From the Texas Tech Website

Harrell Named to O'Brien List

Football | 7/22/2008

Texas Tech quarterback Graham Harrell (Ennis, Texas) was named to the Davey O'Brien National Quarterback Award Watch List, the O'Brien Foundation announced Tuesday. The award recognizes annually the nation's top quarterback at season's end.

BTW KSU is picked just above Iowa State in the Big XII North. Guess that's why they don't play Ohio Sate etc. for a non conf game. All you have to do is win 6 to get a bowl in the Big XII.

Isn't Chase Daniel and Graham Harrell in the big 12???

Big XII Website

From the Texas Tech Website

BTW KSU is picked just above Iowa State in the Big XII North. Guess that's why they don't play Ohio Sate etc. for a non conf game. All you have to do is win 6 to get a bowl in the Big XII.

see KU's schedule last year all they did was schedule easy teams to get rolling and once you win 4 or 5 games you start getting some confidence and start winning some more that is what i think Coach Prince is trying to do. As for Freeman being the best well i have no clue i bet out of all the big 12 QB's he will get drafted highest but that dosent always equal being the best in the league.

I would say this a very good line. UNT has a chance to keep this close until late. K-State ranked 99th in the nation last year against the pass(1) and Dodge's offense should be much more efficient in its second year. Even Scout.com lists K-State's pass defense as one of its top priorities. "This team will be much better if … it can keep teams under 250 yards passing. The Wildcats held Auburn to 229 yards through the air and almost pulled off the upset. They were 5-1 in the other games when they held the opponent under 250, and was 1-4 when allowing more."(2)

1- http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2007/Internet/r...7000000327.HTML

2- http://cfn.scout.com/2/750834.html

Guest GrayEagleOne

I don't know how anyone can establish a line on these two teams so early. There is a ton of unrest on each team. Who knows how many JUCOs will show up and what kind of impact that they migh make?

As of now, and if there are no more hidden developments, I'd say that the margin should be around 15.

I don't know how anyone can establish a line on these two teams so early. There is a ton of unrest on each team. Who knows how many JUCOs will show up and what kind of impact that they migh make?

As of now, and if there are no more hidden developments, I'd say that the margin should be around 15.

Just offhand, how much is either team expected to rely on JUCO transfers for linemen (on either side of the ball)?

Keys to covering the spread for NT.....

1-Not turning the ball over once

2-Picking up at least 15 1st downs (which isn't out of the question)

3-Rain

So far these are the only ones that I can even begin to think are somewhat realistic. I would be shocked if the spread is not over 30 before kickoff. Feel free to add some optimism.

25 is likely the "off the cuff" spread with absolutely no information involved. If the pundants had to think about a Big 12 vs Sun Belt game very hard they would get a headache. Picking this game at less than 25 would be unheard of and if the game is close then KSU had a bad game and if there is an upset then OMG how could a Big 12 team get beat by a Sun Belt team. Another example of the process of belittleing the underling conferences. Another good example of why the Sun Belt gets no respect no matter how good the teams are or how well they play. Look for several Sun Belt upsets this year because there are some good teams...just don't wait for any respect too close behind. I think there is a very good chance UNT-KSU will be much closer than 25 points.

see KU's schedule last year all they did was schedule easy teams to get rolling and once you win 4 or 5 games you start getting some confidence and start winning some more that is what i think Coach Prince is trying to do.

I actually thought KU did a smart thing on their scheduling. KSU followed this premise for over a decade with Bill Snyder. Even when they got really good, they often only played the dregs of d-1 and would end up top ten. Aside from a series with USC, during K-state big years, their non-conference had lots of weaklings on it--mostly at home. It uilt success, confidence, and led to better recruiting. In my opinion, what has hurt KSU is that OU got really good again. Those recruits that were leaving Oklahoma are staying home now, unlike during the mid-to-late 90s when the great John Blake roamed the sidelines in Norman. Man, it was a better world when he coached OU--oh how we all miss his incompetence. :P