Ffr Reports In From The Oil Bowl

SUMG

Ricky just called me from Wichita Falls. He wanted everyone to know that so far, Williams has been unbelievably good. Rick said that the kid is all over the field. He guessed that Damian already had 3-4 tackles (this was in the first half).

Also, according to FFR....Brainard has been impressive. Rick said that he caught the first pass of the game.

Anyway, sounds like our two players are doing really well.

Also, UNT Fan 23.......Rick wanted to let you know that he'll be sending you pics from the game.....

Thanks to Rick for going up there, and calling with this report.....

texasoilbowl08_001_300x400.jpg

This is Darien Williams, or D Will as he is referred to by friends. D Will is the REAL DEAL and I was very impressed with this young man. Football fast, great nose for the football. He moves and flows across the field really really well. Covers very good, least but not last, he loves to fill and hit people. This guy played the run up behind the backers, covered deep and chased people from sideline to sideline all night. Then during one series he was brought in as RB but was met in the backfield two of the three times, and on the third the ball was snapped directly to him and he was chased to the sideline and still managed to get a pass off running out of bounds, incomplete though. He also was deep to run kick offs back as well. I have several photos of him that I will post later. I spoke to his family who raved about how great everyone has been at North Texas and they are all very excited. I spoke to Darien after the game and he's ready to get started ASAP. He also plans to play in the San Antonio All Star game later this summer. It would not surprise me at all that he plays somewhere this season. He wasn't a captain tonight for the defense but you couldn't tell it as the DC was discussing coverages with him all night. He absolutely was one of the leaders on the field. At one point, he was covering deep and the QB, under pressure, chunked a ball down the middle of the field as if he was just throwing it away. The WR D Will was covering got turned around and didn't see the ball, but D Will did and he turned and sprinted to it, laid out and dove for the ball hitting him in the hands for the interception, but he bounced pretty hard and the impact knocked the ball lose. He was tied for the most tackles at halftime, and may very well have led overall. We'll see the stats tomorrow. Had he hauled in that INT he could have very well ended up Defensive MVP for the game. In fact, both of our players were just a play away from MVP status.

texasoilbowl08_002_375x500.jpg

This is Chris Brainard, #4 in green, or as he may very well become known to us in the future as Evan Fintriss Part II, making what turned out to be I believe the longest reception of the night of I'm guessing was between 30 to 40 yards? Yes, he came down with that ball. He's your typical Southlake Carrol product that doesn't have that impressive physical stature who runs those discustingly quick and precise routes that few can cover, and when thrown to the ball simply dissappears into his hands. He made the first catch of the game on an 8 yard out. I missed it because it happened directly in front of me. But later he lays out and nearly pulled off an acrobatic catch on a fade in the endzone on an overthrow, amazingly for the first time of the night the lady in front of me didn't jump up in front of me and I capture it with my camera. Everytime Texas needed yardage, and the butterfinger QB who's going to Baylor, but whose name escapes me at the moment, needed someone to go to, Brainard's number was called, mostly in the slot. I was very impressed with this kid and so was everyone else in my section. When Texas was down by 7 and time running out he caught a couple of very important balls in traffic and people around me were looking at their program to see who he was and where he was going. You could hear people saying..."that guy's going to North Texas" etc etc etc. If his work ethic is as good as he plays I don't see him walking on for long.

Overall this was a great time and an even better game. There was 6,000 for an announced crowd for this 71st Oil Bowl game. Texas went up 3-0. Then Ok went up 7-3. Texas took the lead at 10-7. Then OK, who has one of the nations best kickers who's of course going to OU, come in and attempt a 50 yarder into the wind, and he hit it with ease to tie the score. In the third quarter a kid for OK who I believe is going to K State broke loose for 60 yard TD run to put them up 17-10. But then Texas went on an 80 yard drive, which included Brainard's slot catches to keep the chains moving. On first and goal Brainard hat a chance at the back of the endzone for the TD but it was incomplete and I didn't ask Mrs. Jumpupinourfaceallnightlong as to why #4 didn't come down with the ball? Then on 2nd down and goal a Texas RB scored what would have been the the tying score at 17 all. But the Kicker from Argyle who's going to Baylor shanked the extra point. I felt pretty bad for him considering they don't rush during All Star games. There was about 5 minutes left and Texas stopped OK and got the ball back and drives on them down to their end of the field, and with 58 seconds left and 4th down and 4, allows the kid from Argyle to come in and attempt a 50 yarder of his own. Earlier he hit his first field goal try from 35 yards out pretty easily so everyone figured he had a chance. But, Mr. QB Butterfingers heading to Baylor dropped the snap and that was the end of the game. OK won 17-16.

My highlight of the game not related to the play on the field was the Wichita Falls Hirshi High School Alumni Band playing Ozzie's Crazy Train. You just had to be there to appreciate it.

Overall a great game, very entertaining and a good look at some of the future for the Mean Green. I'll send the rest of the photos to 23 and we'll post them here in a day or two.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I went to the game, but my report on Williams is not as positive as the previous 2. I saw him make 3 good plays, but 4 bad ones. He lined up at FREE Safety-- I thought he was SS, and that's what led me to think he blew the very first play as OK's TE ran a crossing route right in front of him and gained 34 yards. So that shoud not have been his fault. OK at first kept a FB in with a 2-WR set, so he often looked confused as to what he was supposed to do, but he did get in on 2 tackles with that set because he was the deep man who had to get it done after the ballcarriers (one RB, one Xman) got by the LB's. Near the end of the 1st quarter, OK switched to a 4-WR set, and he usually took the slot man; with this he was thrown at 4 times with only one completion; once the pass was interecepted (not by Willilams), but only because it was underthrown. But he stayed in for punt returns, and this was where he looked pathetic-- I only saw him throw one block in this situation, and that was very effortless; on most such plays he just plain quit and did nothing. Overall, I think he he wanted to end up near the play rather than be 'in on it.' Maybe he does have more ability than I saw-- and/or perhaps he didn't take the game that seriously-- but if I were a coach he would have to show more than he did tonight to convince me he wants to play and win.

As for Chris Brainard, he wasn't all that impressive either. He did catch the first pass on the first offensive play of the game-- for 7 yards on the flat. He alternated time with an apparent rotation of 3 who brought in the plays, and several times there was time trouble or confusion on this. But that first catch was his only one until some time in the 2nd Q that he was thrown at, and it was incomplete, and TX was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct-- I didn't see exactly what happened, as it was across the field, but he was immediately pulled out and the coach gave him a dressing down. After that play, he appeared to perk up, and caught at least 2 more passes (I think 3), one a slant-in for good yardage where he showed a little speed. But he also dropped a sure TD pass; it was zipped in hard, but it had to be that near the goal line.

Before the botched kick which may have cost TX the game, I had noticed that the defenders on a FG attempt cannot cross the line-- so they just raise their hands as if they are play-acting or something-- and I had not noticed this in 3 previous Oil Bowls I have attended. But it does make sense that, if the defenders cannot penetrate the line on a FG attempt, then if the kick is botched, the kicking team cannot run it, because it's the RULE that has already blocked the defenders out. But how do you bobble a FG snap when you know the defense cannot rush you?? That's rather mysterious, but I do easily see how the play was blown dead as the holder began running it. You can't expect a kid just out of high school to have Doug Flutie's presence of mind to do a quick drop-kick; but that's all that may have saved the play, far-fetched as it was.

Thanks to all 'reporters' for their comments. I found the reports rather telling on today's society. One reporter says the sky is blue while another reporter says no, it's black.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Hey, come on Rick. That "fumble-fingered quarterback" is Nick Florence of South Garland. He rewrote a lot of the passing records at SG and is usually sure-handed. He is going to the Olympics as a representative of the FCA and he is a fine young man. His grandfather is one of my very best friends.

Don't read to much into this game performance, good or bad, some good players can't make the transition and some not so good finally develope into what they were projected to be. Sometimes its just to early.

RECEIVING: Oklahoma-Brian Loyd 2-24; Kenyad Blair 2-23; Kenneth Ray Session 2-9; Kyle Beam 1-34. Texas-Tariekus Ellis 4-91; Chris Brainard 4-60; Anthony Maddox 3-13; Landrey Lemons 1-13.

........................and from the photos section their photog captured the same one I did.

OilBowl001_t176.jpg

Secoond leader in recievers in an All Star game. Not bad for someone so unimpressive.

TACKLES: Texas-John Fisher 2-4; Darien Williams 3-2; Armonty Bryant 2-3; Jon Jenkins-Dill 1-4; David Stultzman 1-4; Adam Lambert 1-3; Deondre Smith 1-1; Samuel Nunez 1-1; Bo Helm 1-1; Gigrgio Walton 1-1; Harrison McWilliams 1-1; Lyn Barnes 1-0; Ty Burtnett 1-0; Dalton Smith 0-1; Daniel Cortez 0-1; Tyler Noland 0-1; Kenton Day 0-1; James Andrews 0-1.

Hmmm, second leading tackler for Texas in an all star game. Pretty pathetic. By the way, guess who threw the block that sprung Tariekus Ellis for his longest run after catch?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Hey, come on Rick. That "fumble-fingered quarterback" is Nick Florence of South Garland. He rewrote a lot of the passing records at SG and is usually sure-handed. He is going to the Olympics as a representative of the FCA and he is a fine young man. His grandfather is one of my very best friends.

I know, that's why I was coveniently forgetting his name and not posting it here. He has a great arm and a good presence in the backfield. But he fumbled I don't know how many handoffs during the game, plus the final snap, which didn't look like a bad snap to me but I may be wrong on that. Could have all just been attributed to playing with new folks.

Rick

I appreciate your reports, but isn't pathetic a little strong word to use on a high school player in an all star game?

I used that word only to describe his performances on the punt return team; and it's alright if you think it's "a little strong," but I assure it's not a dishonest opinion. Once he dropped back, the punt was taken for a return, and he just stood there 15 yard upfield and watched the returner get blasted, then a return team guy sees him and knocks him down. And, as I said, he may have talent and didn't take the game-- at least all parts of it-- very seriously.

Once he dropped back, the punt was taken for a return, and he just stood there 15 yard upfield and watched the returner get blasted, then a return team guy sees him and knocks him down.

So he just stood and watched during a play and then a teammate knocked him down?

I haven't seen that happen since Madden '96.

Did anyone ever find out what happened to Troy Franklin and why he didn't play in this game?

BTW, thanks for the reports. I really wanted to go to this game also but couldn't talk the wife and daughter into it. <_<

I thought Riley Dodge was supposed to be in this game. Maybe his shoulder rehab is not progressing as well as we have been led to believe.

I thought Riley Dodge was supposed to be in this game. Maybe his shoulder rehab is not progressing as well as we have been led to believe.

Riley is playing in the Texas High School Coaches Association Football game on July 29, 2008 in San Antonio. Several other future Mean Green will be playing as well. Here's a link to the 2008 roster.