New Proposed Unt Football Stadium

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What we want is not enough seats. This will make tickets a premium. I am OK with 30,000 for now. The key is that it is an attractive stadium and it is expandable, which are two qualities we currently lack at Fouts.

Everyone is grabbing onto the fact that its expandable...since when does NT have a history of actually spending money on athletics on something like that? Plus its a lot more expensive and construction costs are going thru the roof.

Everyone is grabbing onto the fact that its expandable...since when does NT have a history of actually spending money on athletics on something like that? Plus its a lot more expensive and construction costs are going thru the roof.

If there is demand for more seats, the money will be there.

I kind of disagree, it all goes back to commitment. The stadium I read about 30,000 with an expandability to 50,000.

If UNT is committed to get our football program out of the cellar, and schedule some decent teams at the "Stadium on the Greens" (our Golf Course Stadium) we will sell out big time. I would like to see a 40,000 - 45,000 seat stadium expandable to 65,000. What I don't think some on here realize we are about to be a very big school and yet we are still thinking good old small NTSU.

Guest 97and03

What a bunch of whiney old women! We are finally getting close to having a new stadium, and now you want to complain about the size? Wow. Seriously folks.

If we are going to try to build a 30K stadium you don't want it? If we can't get more than a 1/3 of the students at the game why do we have football?

A well-built attractive 30K stadium would be a significant updgrade over Fouts and is needed. Period. Bigger does not mean better. See Pizza Hut Park.

We currently don't get 1/3 of the students to attend the games. So you think we should just shut it down then?

No major college football program has a stadium that accomodates all the students. Most major programs that we would like to emulate have a limited number of ticket packages that students must purchase in order to go to the games at all. Hopefully UNT will be at that point some day as well.

Let's get it built.

What a bunch of whiney old women! We are finally getting close to having a new stadium, and now you want to complain about the size? Wow. Seriously folks.

If we are going to try to build a 30K stadium you don't want it? If we can't get more than a 1/3 of the students at the game why do we have football?

A well-built attractive 30K stadium would be a significant updgrade over Fouts and is needed. Period. Bigger does not mean better. See Pizza Hut Park.

We currently don't get 1/3 of the students to attend the games. So you think we should just shut it down then?

No major college football program has a stadium that accomodates all the students. Most major programs that we would like to emulate have a limited number of ticket packages that students must purchase in order to go to the games at all. Hopefully UNT will be at that point some day as well.

Let's get it built.

You prove my point to the best degree, Thank you. Seems you think we should plan for the status quo, then there is not much point in a new stadium.

And yes most major program's Stadiums can accommodate their entire student body and then some. But in some cases those tickets are hard to come by for students. Sorry do you need a list

Guest 97and03

You prove my point to the best degree, Thank you. Seems you think we should plan for the status quo, then there is not much point in a new stadium.

And yes most major program's Stadiums can accommodate their entire student body and then some. But in some cases those tickets are hard to come by for students. Sorry do you need a list

Yes, yes I get it, the stadiums seat more than the enrollment. Please spend an hour making a list. I assumed that you knew that I meant that they have no intention of accomodating the students because they limit student seating so they can sell to fans instead.

Ok then we dont need a stadium done. If people say we dont fill up Fouts when Why get a new stadium? Instead just spend a few million to get by with some upgrades for Fouts and keep it until we are worthy of one. I doubt there would be 3 televised NT games on ESPN. Maybe 1 or maybe 2 if they are dominant but if thats the case then attendance should be higher.

There's always at least 3 games televised by ESPN+. They're usually on UPN or KDFI, but they're produced by ESPN.

I really don't understand what your problem is with a state of the art, new stadium. UNT, as far as I'm concerned, does not need a new stadium because Fouts it to small, they need one because Fouts is a total S hole located 10 feet form I35.

Yes, yes I get it, the stadiums seat more than the enrollment. Please spend an hour making a list. I assumed that you knew that I meant that they have no intention of accomodating the students because they limit student seating so they can sell to fans instead.

No my point is that Stadiums are usually planed around enrollment plus alumni to start with, plus the the expandability with hope that attendance goes through the roof. We are talking something brand new that when it is built can't hold 2/3 of our enrollment. If we are not planing to elevate our program then lets not build, but if we are we better build correctly. I can't think of any D1a school in the Texas or Oklahoma that can't accommodate their entire student body and then some but I may be wrong. Heck Tulsa could put their entire student body in their stadium almost 7 times.

Guest 97and03

No my point is that Stadiums are usually planed around enrollment plus alumni to start with, plus the the expandability with hope that attendance goes through the roof. We are talking something brand new that when it is built can't hold 2/3 of our enrollment. If we are not planing to elevate our program then lets not build, but if we are we better build correctly. I can't think of any D1a school in the Texas or Oklahoma that can't accommodate their entire student body and then some but I may be wrong. Heck Tulsa could put their entire student body in their stadium almost 7 times.

Tulsa's total enrollment is 4165. Bad analogy.

I agree that most colleges have a seating capacity that exceed total enrollment. No argument. I just think that you are letting perfect be the enemy of the good.

And for the record, a 30K stadium can hold our 27400 undergraduate students.

Well UT and A&M could accommodate their whole student bodies in their stadium but they would have to get rid of the majority of their season ticket holders. I have wondered what would happen if all of NT students suddenly showed up for a game and at least 20,000 could not get in. It would be very difficult for NT to justify student fees when they could not accommodate all the students who wish to attend. Sadly, there does not seem to be any chance of that happening. In fact, student attendance is less than almost 40 years ago when I attended with a student population of less than half of today's.

The facts are that NT has never filled a 30,000 seat stadium and it appears it will take a miracle if NT builds a stadium of any size. It would be nice to have a 35 to 40k seat stadium but to build one larger would be completely irresponsible. Empty seats cost money and also distract from the atmosphere. Those that think power conference teams are going to flock to a new NT stadium of any size need to better understand "big time" college football. Or look no further than the Super Pit which has had one sellout for a NT game in its 30 plus year history despite playing some big time teams such as Depaul when they were number 1, Alabama, UT, Indiana, etc.

GrayEagle might have more accurate information about this, but when Fouts was being planned the enrollment at North Texas was about 6K. I don't know what the average game attendance was during that era, but obviously the administrators thought that North Texas was either going to have a huge jump in enrollment, or we were going to become "the" football program in the area.....or possibly both. At that time, TCU and SMU were the only other football programs in this area, and we had no competition from pro sports.

If North Texas is gonig to have the jump in enrollment that everyone says we'll have (45K) then something bigger than 30 or 35 might be a better plan. Especially if most of those new students are basically stuck in Denton because they can't afford the gas to leave campus and go home for the week-end like the current students do.

. Especially if most of those new students are basically stuck in Denton because they can't afford the gas to leave campus and go home for the week-end like the current students do.
That is a good point.

Or the counter that if gas continues to go up, how many more students will try to go to UTD or UTA rather than making the drive to Denton? My first 2 years at UNT I lived in Kerr Hall and in nearby apartments in Denton---BUT I worked in Carrollton and drove back and forth almost every day (partly b/c well paying part-time jobs were hard to come by in Denton). Is 45k enrollment really feasible?? Can Denton support that kind of increase in the next 5 years??

Either way, higher gas prices should continue to help turn UNT into a more conventional residential university....or so you would think.

Edited by TIgreen01

Guest 97and03

Building in phases is sometimes what you have to do.

Take FIU as an example. They are one of our national "peer universities" and have more students than UNT.

They are opening their new stadium on campus with 18K and then have planned phases to increase later.

http://www.fiusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?...amp;SPSID=87363

With this resolution FIU will be able to issue bonds to finance the estimated $31-million first phase of the project, which includes the conversion of the home of the Golden Panthers Football team from a 7,500 permanent-seat facility, to one with more than 18,000 seats and amenities such as air-conditioned luxury suites, a wrap-around concourse with a full field view, 14 luxury suites, 1,400 club seats, a video scoreboard and a stadium club.
And for those that say why build it at all if it isn't big, I reference the FIU AD:

Also, a bona fide football stadium will aid in a continuous effort to build affinity among students and alumni, said FIU Athletic Director Pete Garcia.

“Stadiums are landmarks at universities and are among the first things new or prospective students see during an orientation,” Garcia said. “Also, our goal is to continue recruiting quality student-athletes to compete at a Division I level. At this level of recruitment, first impressions count. This improved facility clearly demonstrates our commitment to athletics and to all students.”

It doesn't have to be big to be effective.

Take FIU as an example. They are one of our national "peer universities" and have more students than UNT.

They are opening their new stadium on campus with 18K and then have planned phases to increase later.

And for those that say why build it at all if it isn't big, I reference the FIU AD:

Some people on here question or don't understand why the "big" schools or BCS conferences don't respect the little guys - well, if you are in D1 and build a new stadium to only fit 18k, you probably should not be in D1. In fact, I remember something about when we jumped up to D1 that we had to have at least 30,500 seats thus the reason for the metal bleachers in the endzones - I guess that rule doesn't still exist?

Some people on here question or don't understand why the "big" schools or BCS conferences don't respect the little guys - well, if you are in D1 and build a new stadium to only fit 18k, you probably should not be in D1. In fact, I remember something about when we jumped up to D1 that we had to have at least 30,500 seats thus the reason for the metal bleachers in the endzones - I guess that rule doesn't still exist?

Kenan Expansion: The Tarheel Spin Machine in Motion

Sounds kind of famillar.

Its not effective for D1 football. I would like to think NT is better than that. If not lets go back to D1AA or what they call it these days...the FCS.

Edited by Green Mean

Guest 97and03

Its not effective for D1 football. I would like to think NT is better than that. If not lets go back to D1AA or what they call it these days...the FCS.

Some on this board were lamenting that FIU was passing us by because they are getting a new stadium.